Taking offense at flags

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Don't you think most of this is just a knee jerk reaction? Clearly business's are trying to distance themselves from a killer who donned the confederate flag. A flag that has been adopted by skinheads and white supremacists. it is just another example of people over reacting to possible adverse publicity. As far as the isis flag, just can't imagine people would recognize it, nor can l imagine that Walmart or any other corporation would think about it until it jumps up and bites them in the ass somehow. Yesterday, here in the sticks of TN, saw a little redneck parade of pickups flying the confederate flag. Despite my thoughts about the flag, it made me smile because we have the First amendment and they were free to exercise it. That is what really counts.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Absolutely: most people [esp corporate wonks in charge of social media] are just reacting to what the news media tells them is important [by devoting a ton of coverage to it].
There's a great deal of coverage on ISIS/ISIL, but the fact is, we are more likely to be in danger from homegrown, right wing, anti government terrorists. I don't believe the Confederate flag is a de facto symbol of hate, because I never knew that it was considered a symbol of slavery & racism before - but I didn't grow up in the south.
I too am glad for the freedom of speech, and wouldn't want it to be suppressed. I like to hear what people think.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh yeah, probably so. Because they've repeatedly made it known they want all of us dead and they've killed and continue to kill all over the world. Amazing.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
There is now a national discussion as to whether monuments, memorials, buildings, schools, city names, county names.... indeed, anything associated with the Antebellum South and the Confederacy should be removed or renamed. That's somewhat similar to what ISIS does. Destroy cultural and historical sites and artifacts. Call it cultural ethnic cleansing if you will. Might be a good idea to slow down and think it through. The next ox to be gored could be yours.

Any movement towards the end stated above will never happen because the Spanish language citizens & Non citizens that are moving into control don't care about our old black/white problems.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's called freedom of speech, freedom of expression, a fundamental constitutional right that we enjoy. If the elected representatives of the people of SC have decided to remove the confederate flag from the state capitol building for obvious reasons, so be it - that's their decision to make. However, individuals should have the right to fly this flag in their front yard, on their pickup, or anywhere else they please. If someone is offended by the sight of it that's their problem.

It's likely that many people find this flag offensive because it represents racism, bigotry, antisemitism and an anti-American belief system that many people find offensive. There has been no call for it to be banned from display by the individuals who believe in what it represents.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your feet stink!
29643325-a-cartoon-man-reacts-to-a-huge-swollen-stubbed-toe-146x150.jpg

Nope.... Still not offended.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Hey, I think WM should have put the Confederate flag on the cake. If they're going to ban 'terrorist' symbols, they need to be educated on what those symbols are [do they speak Arabic?] Problem is, it's a great big world out there - anyone familiar with the flag of Bokul Harum? Would a WM cake decorator know who Che Guevara was? Would they recognize a photo of Stalin, or Mussolini?
They're just reacting to public pressure, but the public isn't very well educated either, on the subject of terrorism.

No, but I know a few songs by Procul Harem. :shamefullyembarrased:

Reactions: Turtle

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Hey, I think WM should have put the Confederate flag on the cake. If they're going to ban 'terrorist' symbols, they need to be educated on what those symbols are [do they speak Arabic?] Problem is, it's a great big world out there - anyone familiar with the flag of Bokul Harum? Would a WM cake decorator know who Che Guevara was? Would they recognize a photo of Stalin, or Mussolini?
They're just reacting to public pressure, but the public isn't very well educated either, on the subject of terrorism.

I think "Whiter Shade of Pale" was still being played at high school dances until at least 1996 or so :eek:

They were playing at Pine Knob with Yes a couple of years ago. Wanted to go to that one. It was very inexpensive.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

They were playing at Pine Knob with Yes a couple of years ago. Wanted to go to that one. It was very inexpensive.

I'd have liked that concert too!
PS I figured I was misspelling the Bokul Harum name, and figured it doesn't matter, on account of how often we Westerners discover we've been misspelling an Arabic name all along anyhow. [How many spellings of Gaddafi have there been?!]

Reactions: Tennesseahawk

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you go look at it they just linked to the local Fox news that did the interview with Young.