TA/Petro Shops

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Well my motor takes 27 quarts of oil has 1 main fuel filter and a smaller one on the motor by injector pump think screen it has 1 oil filter and I think 14 grease zerks while my cat tractor used 44 quarts of oil had 2 oil filters and 2 full size fuel filters along with at least 30 or more zerks between the tractor and the trailer as well as the fifth wheel grease which is way more than what they use total on the zerks just for that! I only paid 280 to 310 for a full pm on that truck think of the time saved and oil paid for not installed so I guess half sounds about right in oil and grease.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm in a straight freightliner mbe 900 not a van

Does that mean it only dates Kenworth's, Volvos, and Peterbilts or does its father only allow it to date Freightliners with different motors? :confused:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cheri I think it is for their records also on what has been done to the truck. Not sure they want to change that if they are the ones that do the work.

I'm lost as to how they would know what's been done to the truck if their computers aren't connected?
Maybe it's that I don't have a Reward Card [I find the kiosk redemption system more time consuming than it's worth] because I don't fuel at TA/Petro. Nor do I have any major work done, so even if they knew what they had done to the truck, their records would be incomplete.
I just stop there for little things I can't do myself, or emergencies, like a flat [under load] a few weeks ago. Every time I do, they need ALL the same info as if it were a major engine repair.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm lost as to how they would know what's been done to the truck if their computers aren't connected?
Maybe it's that I don't have a Reward Card [I find the kiosk redemption system more time consuming than it's worth] because I don't fuel at TA/Petro. Nor do I have any major work done, so even if they knew what they had done to the truck, their records would be incomplete.
I just stop there for little things I can't do myself, or emergencies, like a flat [under load] a few weeks ago. Every time I do, they need ALL the same info as if it were a major engine repair.

Their computers are tied together. You do, however, have to swipe your rewards card. It is what it is.

We try to use TA/Petro as much as we can. We get the best fuel discount at those chains.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Their computers are tied together. You do, however, have to swipe your rewards card. It is what it is.

We try to use TA/Petro as much as we can. We get the best fuel discount at those chains.

Fuel island computers are all tied together but shop computers aren't unless it's a company owned and run shop. Some franchises sublease their shops.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Fuel island computers are all tied together but shop computers aren't unless it's a company owned and run shop. Some franchises sublease their shops.

Must have been only to company owned then. Every time I swipe at one my info shows up.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter

Since TA/Petros are Freightliner Service Centers, it is likely habbitual. Another reason could be to cross-check for proper parts/instalation. Example: Installed wiper falls off during rain storm causing events leading to a fatal accident. Investigation reveals wrong size/type or brand was installed. Result: TA/PETRO gets a personal invite to a litigation party.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Well my motor takes 16.7 quarts of oil has 1 main fuel filter and a smaller one on the motor by injector pump think screen it has 1 oil filter and I think 14 grease zerks while my cat tractor used 44 quarts of oil had 2 oil filters and 2 full size fuel filters along with at least 30 or more zerks between the tractor and the trailer as well as the fifth wheel grease which is way more than what they use total on the zerks just for that! I only paid 280 to 310 for a full pm on that truck think of the time saved and oil paid for not installed so I guess half sounds about right in oil and grease.

Yours is a 4-cylinder engine? What year?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
No mine I a 6 cylinder engine I saw what you saw they apparently make a 4 for use in europe I just corrected my oil capacity in the first post it's 27 not 17. I misread my specs sorry for the corn fusion

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
No mine I a 6 cylinder engine I saw what you saw they apparently make a 4 for use in europe I just corrected my oil capacity in the first post it's 27 not 17. I misread my specs sorry for the corn fusion

Not sure what you think I saw, but your engine's oil capacity is 30.6 quarts. Also, your engine's centrifuge filter alone is roughly $45 retail. Those two items change this conversation a bit.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Only a few days left any more ideas about the shops that we can give back to TA/Petro? The good and the bad.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Must have been only to company owned then. Every time I swipe at one my info shows up.

I don't think there are as many subleased shops now as there used to be. Most shops run by another party will have a sign over the check in counter. Myself I'm alittle leary of using them. I lease my TT's from Penske and they do it all so I don't worry about it. Now and then fuel filters or stuff decides to go south and you don't have any choice. I've always been strange about letting other people work on my trucks. Things like grease on the truck and steering wheel by mechanics just drove me banana's. You say something to them about it and they look at you like what's the big deal. "Do you wash your hands before you eat?" They still don't get it.

I might ad also that I'm refering to TA shops not Petro.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think there are as many subleased shops now as there used to be. Most shops run by another party will have a sign over the check in counter. Myself I'm alittle leary of using them. I lease my TT's from Penske and they do it all so I don't worry about it. Now and then fuel filters or stuff decides to go south and you don't have any choice. I've always been strange about letting other people work on my trucks. Things like grease on the truck and steering wheel by mechanics just drove me banana's. You say something to them about it and they look at you like what's the big deal. "Do you wash your hands before you eat?" They still don't get it.

I don't like to use them all that much. I prefer to get my work done when I am home. Sometimes you don't have a choice. Like my wheel seal and the brake problems that caused. It had to be fixed. I really don't trust the TA/Petro/Wingfoot's etc.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
T/A shops open 24 hours, road service usually available 24 hours, most have a 24 hour restaurant where you can wait. I never had anything stolen from inside my truck unlike dealerships or even company garage. My experience as both company driver and O/O has been positive with T/A. Never really used Petro.

1roaddog

Seasoned Expediter
They could use some signs or arrows to indicate the way out of the places I hate to not find the exit and spend a half hour in the crowded lot trying to get out!

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We tend to sit in the truck. Why? One reason is that MOST of the drivers lounges at truck stops are far too filthy to sit in. The other reason is that it is easier to keep an eye on things if you are out there. Many of these shops have been known to take "short cuts" on work. Having a body in view in the truck helps to keep them honest.

ha thats true too.... many times i hung in my truck in there... playing on the laptop, naping.. chatting on da phone..

moose

Veteran Expediter
One of the rezones i choose to drive a Freightliner is because of the service points @ TA/Pet.
however in recent years i found out that they do not stock Freightliner EOM parts. not even the cheap items that go out all the time. i stopped @ the Spokane Petro this morning, they did not had a fuse and did not had a simple electric connector.
also this is a return work of the same work been done @ the TA in Nash. some 6 weeks ago. tech in Nash simply replaced the wrong part. seams like this is a training issue.
they also needs to solve a parking space for when the work is done late @ night. i once stayed in a bay till morning...do you have any idea what that noisy wheel ranch can do to a perfect dream???{a hint-it's involved a machine-gun...}

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I asked to speak to a manager on a Friday night recently in Spokane. I was told to come in 07:30 Sat.
At 07:30 Sat I was told he wouldn't be in until Tue am. That seems a long time to be without a manager.