T1000 maybe 3rd time is the charm

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Okay, 90 days after getting the new truck with a T1000 we may be on the
verge of qualifying for TVAL.
At least they didnt cut our test short this time and let us make the final
run with the temp tales.
We will know tomorrow after the data is reviewed.

That is better than the BRAND NEW, I mean, I MEAN, BRAND NEW unit just drove in from Ft Wayne, that was parked next to me during testing.
They were told their T1000 equipped truck failed the two day test and it
needed to go back to TK.

Major bummer for the drivers and owner.

The beat goes on.

Now, who do I send the bill to for the 65K we lost because of this fiasco.
That is what I am guessing the truck lost in revenue because it wasnt ready
to roll when we picked it up.

$65,000.00. C'mon Ft Wayne, pony up.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Almost like your a defendant waiting ....waiting....waiting for a verdict. Perhaps there will be an audible "gasp" in the room when the verdict is read. Your wife can give the usual " now we have some closure " statement. Here's hoping for the best for you.

Maybe you can write a song " Tval blues" and the publishing rights and royalties will help recoup your lost revenue.

All kidding aside, do you have a back up plan if you don't pass ? Will you subject yourself to a 4th try ?

Thanks for all your information, I'm sure many in the market are paying attention to your observations and making decisions accordingly.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Good luck with the results. I can't even imagine how frustrating this whole ordeal must be for you and your owner.

So what was the final fix from TK? Sounds like the other truck that failed testing may be in for a similar string of events. Not good.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Okay, 90 days after getting the new truck with a T1000 we may be on the
verge of qualifying for TVAL.
At least they didnt cut our test short this time and let us make the final
run with the temp tales.
We will know tomorrow after the data is reviewed.

That is better than the BRAND NEW, I mean, I MEAN, BRAND NEW unit just drove in from Ft Wayne, that was parked next to me during testing.
They were told their T1000 equipped truck failed the two day test and it
needed to go back to TK.

Major bummer for the drivers and owner.

The beat goes on.

Now, who do I send the bill to for the 65K we lost because of this fiasco.
That is what I am guessing the truck lost in revenue because it wasnt ready
to roll when we picked it up.

$65,000.00. C'mon Ft Wayne, pony up.

Good luck on this latest test. Sure make me want to stick with Carrier.

As to your $65,000 you lost, get in line behind me. You next in line. As soon as the government pays up the $70,000+ we lost when they took control of my truck and caused it to get eaten by a hurricane, then you will be paid! You should not have to wait long, I was told that my check is in the mail as we speak!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
is it the T1000 itself?....maybe not up to the task....or the box not insulated properly or air circulation problem..

Unless it is an Almumi-Junk box it is not likely to be insulation. Most of the other reefer boxes are purpose built. They know what they are doing.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
I have a question for you Zorry. Where are you getting your information about this recent failure? The reason I ask is I have personally talked to the drivers of that truck and what you claim is close, but not nearly accurate. Your statement would lead others on here to believe that there was a consistant temp variation through out the testing. That was not the case at all.

According to the drivers. it is neither an insulation NOR an installation issue. That truck, as was stated by the OP, is as FRESH off the lot as they come. As we ALL know, there are "bugs" to be worked out with any new equipment. They are wholly confident that it is merely a simple adjustment that the staff at TK in Ft Wayne will rectify upon their arrival. They were still extremely impressed with the overall performance of their T1000. When they started their test it was about 85 out at 14:30 and the unit pulled down to -20C in UNDER 3.5 hrs, to not only in range but to their set point. The following portion of the test they were in range from -20C in .5hr. (This is the part you were close on) Durring this portion of the test there were TWO readings on two different probes at two seperate times that fell slightly out of range. To clarrify it was one reading per probe at seperate times, the readings before and after were in range on each of the probes. The final phase of the testing had zero issues just like phase one.

I don't believe the drivers of the truck in question will mind me sharring this information on here as they are overall very happy with the performance of their new truck and would not want those reading this thread to be swayed by inaccurate / incomplete information. They have complete confidence in ALL of the vendors that had a part in building their latest truck.

That is all.... we now return to our regularly scheduled conjecture... ;)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Where was it wrong ? Two seperate probes had an issue,which to me is twice as bad as one probe having an issue.
Nothing against any of their vendors.
Since a big seller of trucks to our segment of the industry is pushing TK's I think it's good that we know what is going on.
Are they better ? Are they cheaper ? Are they more convenient for the vendor ?
There's alot of people shopping.
We want to know all we can,good and bad,about any popular options.
I wish your friends good luck with their new truck.

Last edited:

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
I have a question for you Zorry. Where are you getting your information about this recent failure? The reason I ask is I have personally talked to the drivers of that truck and what you claim is close, but not nearly accurate. Your statement would lead others on here to believe that there was a consistant temp variation through out the testing. That was not the case at all.

According to the drivers. it is neither an insulation NOR an installation issue. That truck, as was stated by the OP, is as FRESH off the lot as they come. As we ALL know, there are "bugs" to be worked out with any new equipment. They are wholly confident that it is merely a simple adjustment that the staff at TK in Ft Wayne will rectify upon their arrival. They were still extremely impressed with the overall performance of their T1000. When they started their test it was about 85 out at 14:30 and the unit pulled down to -20C in UNDER 3.5 hrs, to not only in range but to their set point. The following portion of the test they were in range from -20C in .5hr. (This is the part you were close on) Durring this portion of the test there were TWO readings on two different probes at two seperate times that fell slightly out of range. To clarrify it was one reading per probe at seperate times, the readings before and after were in range on each of the probes. The final phase of the testing had zero issues just like phase one.

Um, so two probes were slightly out of range, right? I think "not nearly accurate" doesn't apply.

This is a pass/fail issue. How many trucks with Carrier units have tested over the last year? Five years?
I haven't seen anyone post this- maybe I missed it- but have ANY TKs passed?
How many times have how many trucks failed now?
TK couldn't even install their Ameriscan and do a Nist without screwing it up. They had to take it over to Carrier for Dennis to finish the job.
I dunno bout you, but this is unacceptable to me.

Jonsie needs to go kiss and make up with Jody/Dennis. This is just attitudes it's costing y'all $$$.

Disclaimer: I normally don't post stuff that would count as hearsay/rumors, but this really ticks me off and my sources are sound.
Begin attacks in 3,2,1...

Last edited:

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
I'm probably not the only owner in the market for a new truck who is following this saga intently.

When I purchased a used straight truck with temperature-control capabilities almost three years ago, I had no one to blame but myself for my ignorance/naivete in not knowing what the Thermo King unit was qualified for. I found out too late the unit was adequate for temperature assured loads, but NOT temperature validated loads. I was informed, therefore, my DR unit would only be eligible for approximately half the temperature controlled loads the Fed hauled.

Was it a shock?? Of course; but sometimes that's the price a relative newbie pays for his lack of experience, impulsiveness and unwillingness to pick others' brains. Did my mistake ruin my business?? No, the truck has done a good job of creating revenue, especially with a team in it ready and willing to run hard.

Could the revenue have been more if it had quaified to carry TVAL loads?? You bet, but that mistake is behind me and I'm now on the verge of committing to a new unit. With a 200K+ obligation do I need to know that truck is going the hit the road running and not stop unless it is for VERY good reasons?? **** stright I do!

The frustrations of minor tweaking and adjustments I can deal with - but if problems persist to the point my revenue is affected in a major way for weeks, or worse yet months, I will be a VERY unhappy truck buyer...