T1000 maybe 3rd time is the charm

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
you are paying a premium price for a truck. i am assuming when paying, you are paying the dealer for the entire truck, finished, out the door [ or do you pay the company that installs the reefer separately]. if its the dealer, then this extra cost should be absorbed as a joint effort between the two and both should be working very close with the carriers that want tval certified trucks to see that there are minimum problems. to heck with what the reefer company or dealership wants to do. you are the purchaser and i for one would not take such a chance. you know better than anyone phil about a truck being rite before you sign the paper and take delivery. you had issues with your first build. would you have taken delivery of your first build and then had down time after to fix what was not rite. this is just like rates, if buyers continue to buy this way the dealers will continue to sell this way. if part of the problem is in miss understood information that has been forwarded or parts of the report not being filled out correctly, well, thats just silly and an easy fix via some communication. as far as the testing equipment being expensive, im sure it is, but in the long run the cost is not prohibitive to either the dealer or the reefer company staying in business. as far as added expense to the price of the truck. there should be none. at 250-285k for a truck it should be included. even if there was a 1000 $ premium put on the price for the service, thats not alot over the course of the loan term to absorb when it comes to offsetting the amount of lost revenue. that could be recouped in one or two loads. i understand sales and wanting to make the almighty dollar. i just dont understand letting them do it and then having it cost me even more money. the down time does nothing more than drive the price of the truck higher. at what i have heard that tval trucks gross in a month, every week the truck is down after you pick it up and are going through this process could be adding anywhere from 5-7 k or more to the price you already payed. there has to be a fix for the problems being incurred. it will just take a buyer to be well involved and babysit the process and get the ball rolling. there is a solution though.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
you are paying a premium price for a truck. i am assuming when paying, you are paying the dealer for the entire truck, finished, out the door [ or do you pay the company that installs the reefer separately]. if its the dealer, then this extra cost should be absorbed as a joint effort between the two and both should be working very close with the carriers that want tval certified trucks to see that there are minimum problems. to heck with what the reefer company or dealership wants to do. you are the purchaser and i for one would not take such a chance.

It may go either way, depending on how you build the truck. You may write the dealer one big check or you may pay component providers directly. In our truck build, it was a little bit of both. The reefer was installed in Tennessee and the dealer was the reefer dealer's customer for sales tax reasons. The liftgate and landing gear was put on the truck after we paid for what had been built so far and got title to the truck. With a truck dealer in IN and a reefer dealer in TN, and with those two having never even heard of each other before, it is unrealistic to expect them to work together on anything.

Note also that reefer problems may not show up until after the truck has been on the road for a while and tested by real-world conditions. A reefer run-in may show the equipment to be perfect at installation but later testing may reveal the flaws.

you know better than anyone phil about a truck being rite before you sign the paper and take delivery. you had issues with your first build. would you have taken delivery of your first build and then had down time after to fix what was not rite.

That was a sad story, but with the built truck being laden with flaws and vendors failing to adhere to our clearly-state specifications, we saw little choice but to cut our losses, refuse delivery and start anew with vendors who would serve us better.

this is just like rates, if buyers continue to buy this way the dealers will continue to sell this way.

The reason the vendors thought they could push their improperly built truck onto us was that they have been able to do so many times before with many other drivers. It is not uncommon to meet drivers who say they ordered their truck with this feature or that and got something else because the dealer or other vendor screwed up the order or botched the build. Yet they took delivery because they wanted their new truck now or they let themselves be bullied by the dealer, or they had already gotten rid of their previous truck and were dying on the vine with no revenue. In the latter case they had to get back to work or starve.

Our vendors were shocked when we refused delivery. We retained the flexibility to continue driving fleet owner trucks and we had enough money saved up to be able to afford to forfiet the deposit and move on without it being a significant financial setback.

if part of the problem is in miss understood information that has been forwarded or parts of the report not being filled out correctly, well, thats just silly and an easy fix via some communication.

It is not that simple. You can communicate, in writing, several times, directly to everyone involved in the build, something like "The completed truck must not exceed 40 feet in length, bumper to bumper. This is very important and we are telling you now that if the truck is 40 feet and one-half-inch at delivery, we will refuse delivery of the truck." And you can get the vendors to acknowledge the communication. But until the truck is actually built, you cannot measure it bumper to bumper. There is nothing more that can be communicated that would matter. The vendors have to build the truck before you know its actual length.

There are other ways to proceed, and we did, after clear communications with trusted and experienced vendors failed. The next time around, we delegated nothing and supervised the build step by step.

as far as the testing equipment being expensive, im sure it is, but in the long run the cost is not prohibitive to either the dealer or the reefer company staying in business. as far as added expense to the price of the truck. there should be none. at 250-285k for a truck it should be included. even if there was a 1000 $ premium put on the price for the service, thats not alot over the course of the loan term to absorb when it comes to offsetting the amount of lost revenue. that could be recouped in one or two loads. i understand sales and wanting to make the almighty dollar. i just dont understand letting them do it and then having it cost me even more money. the down time does nothing more than drive the price of the truck higher. at what i have heard that tval trucks gross in a month, every week the truck is down after you pick it up and are going through this process could be adding anywhere from 5-7 k or more to the price you already payed. there has to be a fix for the problems being incurred. it will just take a buyer to be well involved and babysit the process and get the ball rolling. there is a solution though.

It is easy to put one's desirable "shoulds" on the vendors who should do this or should do that. But even if the vendors jacked the reefer price up $1,000 and TVAL tested a reefer before delivering it, it could easily happen that the TVAL test FedEx gave it the very next week or at the next testing cycle may fail the reefer. TVAL fleets are full of reefers that passed the test one time and failed it the next.

These reefers are made for the general trucking industry; for things like produce and ice cream and fresh flowers. The TVAL demands of pharmaceutical customers are very specific. Temperature set points are often in the common reefer range but sometimes they vary widely. The kind of temperature spike that failed the reefer discussed in this thread would not even be noticed on a reefer doing standard reefer work.

Using these reefers to do TVAL work is a bit like using a pair of plyers to do a tweezers's work. The reefer vendors who have stepped into the TVAL market have voluntarily taken on some technical and customer service challenges that scare many other reefer vendors away.

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i new it was a very controlled process, just not that controlled. the misinformation was addressed to the testing documentation you mentioned not the truck. you are like we would have been, dont accept it if its not rite and be prepared for what ever happens and i commend you for that one. more need to do that very thing. as far as the tval test a month or so down the road or however often the fed does tval testing. atleast if the new truck was tval tested and approved, by fedex, before the purchaser picked the new unit up, they could hit the ground running for the term allowed until the next test date. alleviating some lost revenue. sorry, but i still think and excuse the term, this is probably what the salesmen use to describe certain buyers like you and me, pains in the *ss. there were more of us doing what you did maybe the dealers and reefer, lift axle suppliers would work together to make for a smoother less problematic build. i am just one who believes there is always a solution to any problem if all parties involved would work together. most of the dealers are using the same suppliers time and again and producing purpose built trucks that they have experience with and know what will be expected of the trucks and by the carrier. stoops is probably the largest fedex/tval builder out there. they do know what the story is so why shouldnt they be, or want to be more involved and get all the process figured out. just doesnt make sense to me. you are completely correct though, if buyers are not prepared to say no it does nothing to help correct the mentality that some dealers may have of, oh, they will be ok with it.

so, with all of this discussion on this subject, what are some ideas or opinions from all of you that would help in alleviating the problems. just curious.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
as far as the tval test a month or so down the road or however often the fed does tval testing. atleast if the new truck was tval tested and approved, by fedex, before the purchaser picked the new unit up, they could hit the ground running for the term allowed until the next test date. alleviating some lost revenue.

With any carrier offering TVAL services, the unit is tested every time it is under load. TVAL testing done by the carriers make the truck eligible to begin TVAL work. But after that, the standards must be met every day, all day.

That's part of that TVAL is all about ... maintaining temperature and monitoring it in 15 minute intervals (maybe 30 maybe 5 depending on the shipment) with certified monitoring equipment on the truck, and monitoring remotely in real time too. If there is an unexplainable excursion (temperature deviation) of any kind, the usual solution is to put the reefer out of service until the issue is resolved.

The carriers don't make that stuff up. Customers drive this kind of scrutiny. They have teams of people who audit every load, and sometimes send people to carrier headquarters to physically audit the procedures there and records that document what is done.

Again, a brief temperature spike that would not even be seen on a load of ice cream or fresh flowers would be documented during the run by the monitoring equipment. That one lone spike will attract the attention of the carrier's quality management team and customer auditors.

What is nothing on many reefer loads is a big, big deal on TVAL loads. The load that may be worth over a million dollars may become worthless if transportation temps are not maintained. Customers and carriers are understandably particular with such cargo.

sorry, but i still think and excuse the term, this is probably what the salesmen use to describe certain buyers like you and me, pains in the *ss. there were more of us doing what you did maybe the dealers and reefer, lift axle suppliers would work together to make for a smoother less problematic build. i am just one who believes there is always a solution to any problem if all parties involved would work together.

With general truck issues, you are correct, if the customer and the dealer(s) are in fact willing to work together; and if the customer has the intellect, human relations skills, truck knowledge and backbone to hold up the customer's end and look after one's best interests. You and I both know that a lot of expediters who buy trucks seemingly fall victim to dealers but the reality is that they did little research or paid insufficient attention in the first place.

Example: Expediter orders new truck. Expediter reviews (or seemingly reviews) truck specs presented by dealer. Expediter signs off on the specs. Truck arrives without air ride that the expediter assumed would be included but was not on the specs. Dealer insists on being paid for providing the truck that was ordered and delivered.

Example: Expediter orders new truck with winter insulation package in the cab. Dealer submits order for new truck with winter insulation package in the cab. Truck arrives without winter insulation package in the cab. Expediter accepts delivery anyway and continues with the build.

Example: Expediter orders new truck with certain goodies mounted on frame (tool boxes, reefer, generator). Dealer not experienced in building expediter trucks mounts rear axle way too far to the rear to accommodate the goodies. Expediter complains. Dealer "tries" to make it right but there is a lengthy delay is getting that done. Expediter runs out of time and money and accepts the truck as is.

When Diane and I were researching our new truck, we talked to every expediter who was willing to talk about their trucks. And that was a lot of them. We received many truck tours and discussed many a truck over breakfast, lunch or dinner. One thing that impressed us when doing that research was the number of expedites who ended not with the truck they wanted but the number who ended up with the truck (or something about it) that they did not want.

Another thing that impressed us (and something that is borne out by a long and careful read of the Open Forum) is that many expediters would make significant changes to the trucks they now own if they had it to do over again.

They did not do enough research on the front end to know ahead of time exactly what they wanted. They went in partially blind and found themselves dissatisfied or partially dissatisfied after they took delivery of the truck. Or they went in over-eager, having too much fun being the big-spender customer for a change and treated like a king or queen when they walked in the door.

These are not flaws on the dealer's side, these are flaws on the buyer's side. Granted, there are dealers out there who are all too happy to prey on unprepared or unaware buyers. But even the good dealers are limited by working with the customers who walk in the door. When someone comes in unprepared, a good dealer will do the best he or she can, but there is much to think about when building a truck and the dealers are not mind readers.

... so, with all of this discussion on this subject, what are some ideas or opinions from all of you that would help in alleviating the problems. just curious.

Before spec'ing and building a new truck, prepare yourself ahead of time. Know EXACTLY what you want, bumper to bumper, and know why you want it. Do not commit yourself financially or by the calendar to the new truck anytime before you take delivery. Keep your options open and be prepared to forfeit your deposit and walk away from the deal at any time. Do not accept delivery of the truck until you know for sure the dealer(s) built the truck you ordered.

As far as reefer pretesting goes, I don't know it can be done ahead of the sale, even at an extra cost. The dealer would have to be authorized by the carrier to do such testing to the carrier's standards and I don't think companies that offer TVAL services would have any of that. They will want the owner-operator to actually own the truck and have that truck in the fleet before taking an interest in it.

The best you could get, I think, is a reefer dealer's guarantee that the unit will be TVAL capable and that if carrier testing proves it is not within the warranty period, the dealer will bring it up to spec after the flaws are discovered. That does not solve the down time problem, but if there is another way for an individual owner-operator to get something better, I'd be all ears to hear what it is.

Last edited:

FirstHand

Active Expediter
Yes I have a question, are all the drivers of new Tval trucks this touchy?:confused:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

I dont think so. While I can only speak for myself, my only reason to jump in on the topic was to offer OUR side of the story. A one sided account is only so good to have.

I don't think you'll hear about every failed TK, but a lot of them are going back a few times costing money $$$$ for a new truck
what are they going to do after a couple years old? and still can't hold temp ?
when you have a 2005, carrier 850 test and pass and back on the road with no adjustments needed?

I doubt you will hear about all failures on either Carrier or Thermo King. There were a handfull of older carrier units that failed this years testing and at least two TK's that have failed (mine & Daves). You would have not heard of our failure had it not been referenced in the orriginal post and then talked about further by others.

After a coupe of years there will be reserve capacity waiting at the ready. When TK adjusted our unit they basically backed the regulator for the refriderent down, as the unit or box age and more of that capacity is needed all that will have to be done is a reverse of the adjustment that was just done. TK corperate R&D is also working on bringing modulation to these units. It will be an update that can be retro-fitted to units already in service. This update will give the unit unbelievable steadiness in holding temps by modulating refridgerent flow through the unit (as it was explained to me).

From talking to TK in Ft Wayne they are looking into getting a set of probes just like the ones used in the thermo mapping done at FDCC. If and when this happens they will be able to do mock testing before delivering new units. As of right now they are able to use their certified meters that are used for doing NIST testing.

To date we are extremely happy with the performance of our unit and would recomend them to anyone looking to invest in a new TVAL unit. Here are a few of OUR reasons for choosing the Thermo King T1000.

-Shaft driven fans that provide the same airflow at low speed as the carrier fixed speed electric motor driven fans. More airflow in high speed than carrier.

-Scroll compressor in the TK vs a recip compressor in the carrier. The scroll in the TK is much smoother running and has far less moving parts that will wear out over time.

-TK's GMP (Guarunteed maint Program). This maint program is recognized at EVERY TK location in the US and Canada. It is not just an extended warranty but also a maint plan covering oil changes and belt replacement as well as other preventative maint.

-TK corperate support. There is an incredible interest in our market from TK and they are working to improve their product to meet the ever changing needs our market demands.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Sorry, FH, but you'll forgive me while I go get the tuning mechanism on my BS detector's needle recalibrated. I can't fully respond until that gets done.

Oh, and I stop laughing.........

petercar

Active Expediter
Sorry, FH, but you'll forgive me while I go get the tuning mechanism on my BS detector's needle recalibrated. I can't fully respond until that gets done.

Oh, and I stop laughing.........

If that guy believes everything he hear's from tk i have some land for sales

Ultraman

Active Expediter
After a coupe of years there will be reserve capacity waiting at the ready. When TK adjusted our unit they basically backed the regulator for the refriderent down, as the unit or box age and more of that capacity is needed all that will have to be done is a reverse of the adjustment that was just done.

Ahh, the ole magic capacity screw.

ICEBERG

Active Expediter
[.

After a coupe of years there will be reserve capacity waiting at the ready. When TK adjusted our unit they basically backed the regulator for the refriderent down, as the unit or box age and more of that capacity is needed all that will have to be done is a reverse of the adjustment that was just done. TK corperate R&D is also working on bringing modulation to these units. It will be an update that can be retro-fitted to units already in service. This update will give the unit unbelievable steadiness in holding temps by modulating refridgerent flow through the unit (as it was explained to me

SOUNDS LIKE A TK SALES PITCH, TK HAS THE ETV , BUT CAN'T CONTROL TEMP.

-Shaft driven fans that provide the same airflow at low speed as the carrier fixed speed electric motor driven fans. More airflow in high speed than carrier.

SHAFT DRIVEN FANS AT 2425 RPM'S ( ENGING HIGH SPEED) 1900CFM
.LOW SPEED RPM THE FANS TURN ABOUT 1100CFM ? THE CARRIER FANS 1600 CFM ELECTRIC
MY UNIT RUNS AT LOW SPEED ABOUT 80% OF THE TIME, HOW ABOUT YOURS?

LETS TALK ELECTRIC FANS FOR A MINUTE, DID TK TELL YOU THEY ARE LOOKING TO CHANGE TO ELECTRIC FAN IN THE UPDATED T 1080 ?

-Scroll compressor in the TK vs a recip compressor in the carrier. The scroll in the TK is much smoother running and has far less moving parts that will wear out over time.

TK HAS 27,500 BTU @ 2C AND 19,000 AT -18C CARRIER 950 32,000 BTU AT 2C AND 20,000 AT -18C AND AFTER TK CHOKES BACK YOUR TK WHAT DO YOU HAVE.

FIRST HAND OR DID YOU GET WOOL OVER YOUR EYES ???

FOUND THE INFO ON TK AND CARRIER WEB SITES. JUST THE FACTS

Last edited:

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
. . . Here are a few of OUR reasons for choosing the Thermo King T1000.

-TK's GMP (Guarunteed maint Program). This maint program is recognized at EVERY TK location in the US and Canada. It is not just an extended warranty but also a maint plan covering oil changes and belt replacement as well as other preventative maint.

-TK corperate support. There is an incredible interest in our market from TK and they are working to improve their product to meet the ever changing needs our market demands.

Jeff? Is that you? Sure sounds like you:confused:

Is that the reason for the name "first hand"?

I'm calling Gov. Ventura, I smell a conspiracy theory here.:cool:

savage308

Active Expediter
Not trying to jack the thread, but would you limit the air flow to your trucks radiator or condneser when it is hot out? That is essentially what the design of that truck is doing. Personally I want as much fresh air to the unit as I can get. I am not sold on this truck and reefer design.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Not trying to jack the thread, but would you limit the air flow to your trucks radiator or condneser when it is hot out? That is essentially what the design of that truck is doing. Personally I want as much fresh air to the unit as I can get. I am not sold on this truck and reefer design.

I believe there are at least a few such trucks on the road now with the reefer positioned as it is, above and behind the sleeper. If the proof is in the pudding, perhaps someone who has the pudding can talk about how such designs perform in extreme conditions.

We know from this thread that these reefers can pass the TVAL test FedEx gives. How do they do in the Mojave Desert in July when temps exceed 110 Fahrenheit? How do they do when parked over a 100 degree, humid, summer weekend in Florida while waiting to deliver on Monday (no air flow from driving)?

Last edited:

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Also not trying to hijack the thread, but having an older TK unit overhead, we simply turn down loads in the lower extremes.

I wonder if anyone other than the drivers consider the scheduling of critical TVAL loads to prevent sitting over the weekend as Ateam mentions.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Ateam's comment regarding the extreme heat locales and conditions sparked a thought : Have TVAL qualification at a more extreme location. Laredo, etc. instead of Ohio. And only during the summer months.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
I would think the reefer unit would receive more air flow mounted on the top (behind the sleeper) than under the box. Almost in the same position that trailer units are located on the big trucks, and most of them seem to do ok. :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I would think the reefer unit would receive more air flow mounted on the top (behind the sleeper) than under the box. Almost in the same position that trailer units are located on the big trucks, and most of them seem to do ok. :)

In a traditional top mount, that is the case. But the question in this thread is about the top mount reefers that are mounted behind Bolt condo sleepers that have side panels on them to improve the style and sight lines.

Style-wise, that makes for a beautiful truck with some very nice lines. The reefer is hidden from view. Whether that design gives the reefer enough air to breathe in extreme conditions is the question.

On a moving truck, the top of the sleeper will direct air over the top of the reefer. That may not be a problem because air can come in from the sides. Or it may be a problem. If it is, no one I know has reported any such thing. The T1000 failures mentioned in this thread were attributable to the reefer itself, not air flow.

Based on what is reported in this thread, it seems that reefer is working now and I presume a number of loads have been successfully hauled. I remain curious, however, about that design in extreme conditions (something like a -10 F set point where ambient temp is 100+).

To be fair, note that such conditions have brought reefers of all configurations to their knees.

FirstHand

Active Expediter

There was much more thought put into the latest design. The roof mold was designed and tested using a CAD program in conjunction with Freightliner. There is a notch down the center line of the roof that funnels air to the condenser. The higher roof also improves the aerodynamics of the truck along with fuel milage.

I believe there are at least a few such trucks on the road now with the reefer positioned as it is, above and behind the sleeper. If the proof is in the pudding, perhaps someone who has the pudding can talk about how such designs perform in extreme conditions.

We know from this thread that these reefers can pass the TVAL test FedEx gives. How do they do in the Mojave Desert in July when temps exceed 110 Fahrenheit? How do they do when parked over a 100 degree, humid, summer weekend in Florida while waiting to deliver on Monday (no air flow from driving)?

Phil as you are sure to remember the IOQ tests that are performed in Green are a static test (non moving). I am sure you also recall that this summer was a scorcher. Our TK unit pulled down to -20c (-4F) in under 3.5 hrs with an ambient of 85F and a heat soaked box. In the past week we did a real world -20C run where we preconditioned the box before picking up. The doors were open for about a half hr at the pick up while loading and securing . We closed the doors started the unit and were back in range in under 15 min. This was at noon with an ambient in the mid 90's.

Ateam's comment regarding the extreme heat locales and conditions sparked a thought : Have TVAL qualification at a more extreme location. Laredo, etc. instead of Ohio. And only during the summer months.

Chance, FDCC accounts for the extreems by flipping the order of the tests depending on the season. In the summer months they start with the -20 pulldown where as in the winter months they begin with the 20c (72F). I cant even begin to imagine the logistical nightmare of doing remote testing in Laredo. The IOQ tests aren't a real world representation of doing a Tval load. What it shows is the thermo mapping of the box while in pulldown and while leveled out , it also tests the performance of the unit through the whole process. On an actual Tval load the box would be preconditioned prior to pick up.

In a traditional top mount, that is the case. But the question in this thread is about the top mount reefers that are mounted behind Bolt condo sleepers that have side panels on them to improve the style and sight lines.

Style-wise, that makes for a beautiful truck with some very nice lines. The reefer is hidden from view. Whether that design gives the reefer enough air to breathe in extreme conditions is the question.

As I mentioned above the roof was redesigned to improve aerodynamics and fuel milage. Any improvement in style and sight lines was a by-product of the redesign.

On a moving truck, the top of the sleeper will direct air over the top of the reefer. That may not be a problem because air can come in from the sides. Or it may be a problem. If it is, no one I know has reported any such thing. The T1000 failures mentioned in this thread were attributable to the reefer itself, not air flow.

The T1000 condenser is located at the top of the front grill opening right in line with the notch in the top of the roof. There is actually enough room in front of the unit to stand while checking the oil or working on the unit. One other difference between the T1000 and our old Carrier is the top panel, on the TK it is a wire screen vs the solid panel on the Carrier. To my way of thinking the TK allows for easier air flow out after the air is drawn over the condenser and radiator.

Based on what is reported in this thread, it seems that reefer is working now and I presume a number of loads have been successfully hauled. I remain curious, however, about that design in extreme conditions (something like a -10 F set point where ambient temp is 100+).

To be fair, note that such conditions have brought reefers of all configurations to their knees.

This year has been rough on all units new and old. Since hitting the road we have hauled many temp assure and Tval loads of varried set pionts, to date we have had no issues.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
FirstHand, happy that you and your equipment are doing well.
When you make a customer happy,you're making my customer happy.
Happy customers are good for both of us.