Survival

rjleftlane

Expert Expediter
How do solos survive in the expedited world after investing in a $150,000 in a D unit when a lot of OTR jobs pay $65,000 a year with health insurance and retirement?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Most do it for the freedom that owning a business affords. Many don't survive. It is not an easy way to earn a living.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
How do solos survive in the expedited world after investing in a $150,000 in a D unit when a lot of OTR jobs pay $65,000 a year with health insurance and retirement?

I would say a lot will fail. An investment of that amount needs a team in the truck. Unless the owner has another source of income and is just doing this to be a paid RV'er.

rjleftlane

Expert Expediter
Well I'm from the Roberts Express days when we actually made money, I've been looking around and no one company is jumping out to be any better opportunity than the others.

Of course everyone (Recruiters) that is sell their company up to be the best thing since sliced bread.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There are very few solo drivers running around in a 150k truck.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
From all the trucks I've been looking at spending $100+ don't take much effort.

If you know spending $100k on a truck is bad judgement then the simple answer is not to spend that much. You have to buy a truck that works for your business plan.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
If you know spending $100k on a truck is bad judgement then the simple answer is not to spend that much. You have to buy a truck that works for your business plan.

Check the repos at any bank or other establishment in the finance world, there be the dead ponies... but no one likes to see or talk about that world, aww, the joys of reality are painful indeed.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i had my 2001 western star that was 107,000 , for down payment i had 5 sponsor for my truck
they put down 26,000 for use of my name for down payment, in there ad's
also sold new and used truck, truck genset a field rep for proheat,
sold mary kay, heated mirrors, heated wipers, heated window washer units, lap tops and mason shoes on the side
for extra money on sides