Surface division?

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Anyone work in the surface division for fedex? I was wondering if there's anyone I could PMwoth a few questions. Thanks

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Team Caffee is a great source of knowledge on this topic. We run both w/g and surface trucks in our fleet as well.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
We don't have DOD. I've heard a lot of people say the pay is not worth the hassle on he military loads. Personally, we've done only constant surveillance for military stuff and it was kind of a pain, but not too bad. Thoughts on this?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Q: Anyone drive for Panther?

A: We can't answer that until you tell us whether you like salt or sugar on your grapefruit.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We don't have DOD. I've heard a lot of people say the pay is not worth the hassle on he military loads. Personally, we've done only constant surveillance for military stuff and it was kind of a pain, but not too bad. Thoughts on this?

Whether or not DOD loads pay enough is a very personal thing. The decision is based on what type of truck you are in, where you are located at the time of the load offer, whether or not you can handle the 8-2 HOS drill etc.

We run a few now and then, mainly when we cannot get a load more suited to a TVAL truck.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
When we drive a surface truck we do like to run dod. It is a pain but for the right money I can handle pain. Plus you get used to the 8822 shifts after a while.

However, in a tval truck I don't see how it would be beneficial to run much dod as it does pay less than t-val.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Well, I had a very interesting meeting at fedex headquarters and forget about dod. The surface trucks are flat rate only, including dod loads. Until this changes I will have to recommend looking at another carrier. This bit of knowledge makes me want to pull my surface trucks out of the fleet so I can't recommend you to go this route.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
By any chance did you ask about the accessorial charges that are being paid on White Glove loads?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
And I confirmed that I wasn't charging the crazy high prices that made us go to flat rate in the 1st place. My avg. $/mile is $1.40. That's hardly gouging fedex and unless your at or real near a dod site you won't come close to that.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I would guess that accessorials for gov loads have a significant impact if the dhpu and the run miles aren't huge. If they're both huge, I'd imagine the accessorials added in would seem like a drop in the bucket.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
It's really a bummer. I've had a wide range of emotions today. I've been trying to stand up for the fed and saying let's wait and see but this is a huge bummer. Huge. This means the average person will make more money running east coast to Midwest over doing dod loads in the middle of nowhere. Idk how fedex will keep this up. A t-val truck can't haul a lot of the dod freight so if they are gonna pay $1.05/unloaded and $1.55 loaded plus account charge that's almost always gonna average $1.30 or less. Who can afford to run at that price or would want to do 8822 or other things for a special load like that.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I would guess that accessorials for gov loads have a significant impact if the dhpu and the run miles aren't huge. If they're both huge, I'd imagine the accessorials added in would seem like a drop in the bucket.

I've never had a short gov load. I'm sure they are out there but most are easily 50% deadhead and over 1,000 miles.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
It's really a bummer. I've had a wide range of emotions today. I've been trying to stand up for the fed and saying let's wait and see but this is a huge bummer. Huge. This means the average person will make more money running east coast to Midwest over doing dod loads in the middle of nowhere. Idk how fedex will keep this up. A t-val truck can't haul a lot of the dod freight so if they are gonna pay $1.05/unloaded and $1.55 loaded plus account charge that's almost always gonna average $1.30 or less. Who can afford to run at that price or would want to do 8822 or other things for a special load like that.

You're where we were 2 months ago.