Super Thread : East Coast Storm info ONLY.

are12

Expert Expediter
Pennsylvania Restrictions:

Motorists Strongly Urged to Not Travel

Harrisburg – Due to the dangerous wind speeds associated with Hurricane Sandy, beginning at 12:30 p.m. today the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) and the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC) are expanding temporary speed limit reductions and some vehicle restrictions to eastern and south central Pa. roadways.

PennDOT is urging motorists to avoid unnecessary travel but those who must head out will see speeds reduced to 45 mph on the following highways:
• Interstate 81 from the New York state to Maryland state border;
• Interstates 78, 83, 84, 380, 176 and 76;
• Interstate 283 and Route 283;
• Interstate 80 east of Interstate 81;
• Pennsylvania Turnpike from New Jersey to Carlisle and the Northeast Extension;
• Route 581; and
• U.S. Routes 15, 30, 22/322 and 33.

Also, in conjunction with similar restrictions imposed on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, these types of vehicles will be prohibited from traveling on the speed-restricted roadways:
• Class 9 vehicles (Overweight and over-dimensional trucks);
• Empty straight trucks;
• Large Combination Vehicles (tandem trailers and doubles);
• Tractors hauling empty trailers;
• Trailers pulled by passenger vehicles;
• Motorcycles; and
• Recreational Vehicles, or RVs.

The agencies may expand highway restrictions if storm conditions warrant.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Gov. Cuomo has directed the Port Authority and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to close the following New York City bridges at 7:00 PM today:

· Throgs Neck Bridge
· Bronx-Whitestone Bridge
· Verrazano-Narrows Bridge
· Henry Hudson Bridge
· Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge
· Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge
· George Washington Bridge

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Stupid is showing Al Roker trying to stand up in high winds giving a weather report, telling us that the sand dune he is standing on is being washed away,,,,,,,stupid stupid...

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Foxnews and the weather channel Breaking news the storm has picked up speed and is expected to slam into the east coast at or before 6pm eastern time

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I wonder if this Atlantic County, New Jersey action will be repeated in other jurisdictions. If so, hunkering down would seem to be the thing to do. If you get in a bind, there will be no one to call.

Office of Emergency Management Coordinator Vincent Jones issued the following statement as of 4:37 p.m.:

**URGENT MESSAGE**

Per order of Atlantic County Emergency Coordinator Vince Jones, (NJSA A:9-33) all first responders are to cease operations as of 10/29/2012 at 1600hrs (4:00pm). 1st Responders are to seek shelter and hunker down and wait out the landfall of Tropical Cyclone Sandy.

After first light 1st Responders will make the determination if it is safe to begin search & rescue and damage assessment.

Last edited:

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
So glad I'm at home, you know there are people out there trying to drive through all this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

ATeam

Retired Expediter
7:50 p.m. EDT Monday:Winds picking up across northeast Ohio, with gusts of 40-50 mph widespread.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Center of the eye just made landfall in southern NJ. No longer technically a hurricane, however, obviously still a huge, dangerous storm. JFK Recording 85 mph gusts. LGA has a runway under water.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Are there any EO members right now on the East Coast - in dangers way?

I don't know if he is still there or if he is, he'd say he was in danger's way, but denny2010 reported earlier that he was in Elkton, MD, at the TA. Forecast says winds will be picking up there soon.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Had a truck doing a pickup to Roanoke Virginia and the truck developed a problem that prohibited us from doing the pickup. May have been a blessing in disguise? Running through WV looked to be a challenge tonight and tomorrow.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Had a truck doing a pickup to Roanoke Virginia and the truck developed a problem that prohibited us from doing the pickup. May have been a blessing in disguise? Running through WV looked to be a challenge tonight and tomorrow.
Made a dispatcher very unhappy earlier by refusing to run 77 tonight.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Don't blame you. I heard about a hour ago they may close it around Beckley.

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
This evening Governor Tom Corbett is advising Pennsylvania to take precautions as Hurricane Sandy makes landfall. Right now:

· The storm was expected to make landfall shortly after 6 p.m. this evening.
· At this point the expected track has the eye of the storm passing south of Harrisburg around 2 a.m. and will reach State College by 2 p.m. on Tuesday.
· 100,000 or more Pennsylvanians are currently without power
· PennDOT is closing the full length of Interstates 95 and 676; I-476 (non-toll portion); I-76 from the Pa. Turnpike to Passyunk Avenue and the U.S. Route 1 Extension in Philadelphia to all traffic except emergency vehicles from 7 p.m. through 2 a.m.
· The Delaware River Port Authority has closed the Walt Whitman, Ben Franklin, Betsy Ross, and Commodore Barry bridges in the Philadelphia area.
· 27 counties have opened emergency operation centers. They include the southeast, mid-state and Allegheny County.
· The Governor has deployed 1,600 PA National Guard troops to assist where needed.
· Pennsylvania has 58 evacuation centers on stand-by with capacity for 31,000 people.

are12

Expert Expediter
I am certainly glad I am home...for anyone out there on the roads....please be extra cautious...no load is worth your life!!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Are there any EO members right now on the East Coast - in dangers way?

Deville said yesterday:

"Today was the calm before the storm. I live in a zone A, but on higher ground. Got my house stocked up & locked down as best I could & put together several to go bags if I have to get outta dodge. Only thing is even if I evacuate there may not be a safe place to go."

Deville

Not a Member
I sit here typing this thankfull to be alive. I live 5 blocks from the beach, & we have about 2000 yards of sand seperating the water from the street.

I live at the highest point of my neighborhood. My entire neighborhood has been flooded, most of it has been desteroyed. People living within 1-3 blocks of the beach barely had enough time to get to the roofs of there houses. A friend of mine who lives in anoher area, but 3 blocks from the beach took shelter in her attic. Mind you her house is 2 stories high with steps leading up to the front door. This area plus several others next to me will be Fema disaster areas.

There are cars floating down my street. I parked my car on the front Lawn to get some more elavation.I decided to move everything important up to the 2nd & 3rd floors of,my house. I lent my Brother in law my GMC truck to get to work today, & it's under 5 feet of water. It's a total loss. My van is ok. I don't know the status of my truck. I'm basicaly traped in my house until the water receddes & we have one more high tide cylce in the morning to deal with.

Water came up my lawn & stoped at the base of my steps, it started to recede a couple of hours later. Water did not enter the house. The longest 3 hours of my life.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I sit here typing this thankfull to be alive. I live 5 blocks from the beach, & we have about 2000 yards of sand seperating the water from the street.

I live at the highest point of my neighborhood. My entire neighborhood has been flooded, most of it has been desteroyed. People living within 1-3 blocks of the beach barely had enough time to get to the roofs of there houses. A friend of mine who lives in anoher area, but 3 blocks from the beach took shelter in her attic. Mind you her house is 2 stories high with steps leading up to the front door. This area plus several others next to me will be Fema disaster areas.

There are cars floating down my street. I parked my car on the front Lawn to get some more elavation.I decided to move everything important up to the 2nd & 3rd floors of,my house. I lent my Brother in law my GMC truck to get to work today, & it's under 5 feet of water. It's a total loss. My van is ok. I don't know the status of my truck. I'm basicaly traped in my house until the water receddes & we have one more high tide cylce in the morning to deal with.

Water came up my lawn & stoped at the base of my steps, it started to recede a couple of hours later. Water did not enter the house. The longest 3 hours of my life.
Happy to hear from you! Your alive, the rest can be rebuilt or replaced.