Super D unit

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This could make an interesting unit, with air ride.

http://tinyurl.com/2c9h6j

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, pulled by a tractor.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
The only problem with that is why buy a tractor and get d unit pay and have to maintain a trailer when you just pull a company trailer for little or no additional cost and make more money?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For nothing more than D pay I'd agree. It would have to be worked out to be advantageous to have it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Only prob I see with it is the liftgate isn't a tuck under type.

Ark... this is what some of us consider a much safer alternative to an e-unit. I've been to too many docks where I was glad to have a straight. Just another way to look outside the box. More freight than a traditional D, and easier to replace the box too. Not to mention, park the box to get loaded, and go get something to eat.

-True independence can only be gained if you're trully independant.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
There wouldn't be many loads even ltl's you wouldn't qualify for with a unit like that.

Parking space would almost be the same as a d unit.

With Landstar any unit over 32’ is considered E unit plus we are able to negotiate rate on every load. Makes life much easier as it lessens some of those job stress issues we all deal with daily.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The biggest drawback I see is paying 5 axle tolls when you are in toll country. Presumably the load would pay enough to compensate. Landstar is one of the places where it could be most potentially advantageous I think. You could allocate 33' to freight to be classified an E unit and have 3' for motorcycle etc. in it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

Caldonna

Expert Expediter
I have thought/dreamed about WAY in the future going with a class 8 truck with the supersleeper (120" plus) and hooking up a city trailer to qualify as a D unit with FECC, as opposed to having to step down to a C unit with a straight truck. (Wife wants a shower and dog wants extra room, I would love to have the aforementioned motorcycle, plus the added life expectancy of a class 8) Is anyone out there doing this? I know this is a newbie type question but do city trailers come in varying lenghts? Good to know about Landstar, are any other companies acting likewise?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you did it right, you could build a D unit straight truck with a 120" sleeper. You would not have to mess around with a trailer. For more lifestyle room, you could build a C unit. For the motorcycle, use the extra space a C unit gives you to build a "garage" behind the sleeper that is independent of the box. That leaves the box free for freight and equipment and keeps shippers from complaining about other stuff you might otherwise carry back there (like a motorcycle). A custom-designed winch and rack could be built to move the bike in and out. For the dog, motorcycle, and maximum sleeper space, consider a cabover as your starting point.

Lots of fun stuff to think about in your truck thoughts.

Note that the dog will not eliminate the FedEx CC option for you, but it will eliminate FedEx CC White Glove Services. Dogs are not permitted in White Glove trucks.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Well you learn something new everyday. I looked at the freightliner website the other day and didn't say anything about the argosy when it listed its different models. I just assumed they were out of production.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
I unstretched my fld 120 and returned it to its previous life as a tractor. I am currently leasing a 28x102 van/pup w/tuckunder liftgate. I like the xtra 6 ft that I didn't have on my d unit and the 102 is nice. I really enjoy the logistics posts. Its usually about $35 to wash the tractor and the trl gets a wash every time it rains. Putting less weight on the steers is also nice. Have had some load offers for long items over 22', but unable to do since I was pre-booked. My main reason for the switch was to try to help me load from back east to back home in the west. We'll see if the plan works. If not, going to E unit w/liftgate, but this way I can avoid IRS 2290 fee and i'm only rated at 54k. Keep ya posted.. Like JO said here at landstar, I'm a d unit as long as the trl is less than 32'..

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
This ideal has been done at Robert's Express about 9 years ago. I would always see that truck at the Flying J checked in to the Ind Express. The driver did get paid for E loads too. The truck was in White Glove at the time from what the driver said.

A-Team if you ask some of the agents in White Glove I'm sure they will remember the truck. It also had a lift gate just like the one in the picture posted on here.

Drive safe
Dave Mayfield
FedEx Custom Critical
14 years as an O/O in Expediting.

Thornapple

Seasoned Expediter
This thread is where I'm going with the thread on "turning radius".

A KW K100 with 170" WB hooked to a 28' trailer would be about 41'.

Add the extra feet for a 30' or 32' or 36' and you can still drop and go through Micky D's drive through.

My next question though is how stable is a short trailer in the wind of the plains states?

I've heard that short trailers back up badly. Is that true? If so would it be better to have a spread on the axels?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
The shorter trailers are harder to back up because they turn faster. If you go getting spead axles you will be killing you turning radius. If you turn to sharp with a spread axle trailer you can push that axle right out from underneath it. Trust me I've seen it with my own eyes. After some practice with the shorter trailer I'm sure you would get the hang of it.