Submarines have always fascinated me.....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
While I am not a Republican or a Democrat, i am a independent consservative. Most of the "potilicial pundits" think that the republicans will make big gains in both the senate and the house, good or bad, it seems to be what is coming. I found this in the comment section on an article about the poor polling numbers for the Dems in the coming nov electiona on a site i go to. While it is just this guys opinion, it doesn't sound off base:

Submarines have always fascinated me. Their role in the last century cannot be overstated. From the simple man powered submarines of the civil war to the USS Nautilus’s journey under the North Pole to the modern submarines that form a critical part of the US nuclear deterrent. As over engineered as these ships are, when a torpedo hits, decisions have to be made to save the ship. Sometimes those decisions have to be made under extreme stress, and the result of the orders leads to the death of fellow crew mates. As one space fills with water, pulling the ship inexorably to the bottom, a sailor in the dry space must close the hatch to save the ship.

The United States is analogous to a submarine wounded by enemy action. Instead of an enemy firing a torpedo, we, via all of our poor political leadership have fired one upon ourselves. The political classes collective record, how ever well intentioned, has lead us here, through massive spending, borrowing, and making promises to citizens that cannot be met. Character at a point of pressure is the most important asset a leader, officer, or soldier possesses. Why? Because sometimes it is necessary to close the hatch to save the ship. The question to my mind is which party possesses the capacity to do that now.

While the collusion of both parties are to blame for our sinking ship. It is the Republican party that is desperately trying to close the hatch and save the ship. The Republican party is standing against three pieces of legislation that will forever resign this nation to a continual decline and eventual ruin. The first is commonly understood to be “health care,” this legislation will forever alter a citizens relationship to their government. If it passes medical attention will become a right that must be met by force of law. As the saying goes, if you want to make something expensive, make it free. The failure of this solution to meeting the medical needs of people is deeply felt by those who lost loved ones because the English or the Canadian governments denied vital care. Liberal Democrats have another scheme to launch on the American people this one is called “Cap and Trade” - essentially this nightmare would allow the federal government to tax a citizen when they drive, breath, or turn on the light switch. Kirsten Gillibrand has personally advocated for it in the editorial page of the Wall Street Journal, I assume Senator Gillibrand expects that by creating the next Wall Street scam will lead to voluminous campaign contributions on the back of the American taxpayer. Finally, there is “Card Check,” this gem would eliminate the secret ballot from the process by which a business goes from being a non-union to a union shop. Thus, the Union leadership would be in a position to put massive pressure on those who voted “no.” Republicans have stood, and are standing against all of this - in fact on the “Cap and Trade” front Republicans have earned bipartisan opposition to it.

All the while the water is rushing into our ship, and the choice must be made in six months; will the citizens of this great nation choose to stand with the leadership of the liberal democratic party, that is trying to keep the hatch open, so we all go down, or will the American people choose to stand with the Republican party, that is trying to close the hatch? I have confidence that the American people are ready to not only support the Republican party, but help close the hatch and save the ship. America is ready to sacrifice all but our liberty and our economic freedom - this has, and will always be true, and has happened in the past, it is “We The People” leading the charge. Right now the only organized political party that has the capacity to close the hatch is the Republican party.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Gallup

Angil82

Seasoned Expediter
Completely off base here, but that is okay.. The Nautilus was the first submarine that I was on. It is docked at the Groton Submarine base where you can tour it. I live in Groton, was born at the naval hospital, and am proud of my daddys roots, to say the least. The San Juan is the second ship that I was on, which I actually was allowed to be on for a dependence cruise, which lasted 12 hours. It was so amazing. We were out there crusing around, got to steer the submarine, and the whole nine yards. We even had to get involved in a search for a man, although the only thing that we found was a shoe with a foot in it.. =/ The subbases are so full of politics right now, because the BRAC is constantly trying to shut bases down. It is a complete disgrace.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
While some of the article has some facts...it is purely an election ad for the GOP....too many moderates that swing both ways or vote by the poll numbers instead of doing what their constituents want....Many Americans want some sort of HC plan...but don't want it rammed down their throats...

I want the government OUT of health care.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many Americans want some sort of HC plan...but don't want it rammed down their throats...

"Many Americans" want something for nothing, and anything that would result in any kind of personal responsibility would be viewed as being "rammed down their throats", such as the proposed plan.

I'm with the Chef, it's no place for the government.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Chef,
I can't see anyone being a "independent conservative" for some reason. Maybe my classic liberal way of thinking, but I can't believe there is such a thing.

Ah .... dependence cruises, great thing to be on.