Stuck

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Blizzard wrote:

because of the 16 hour rule. So, even if you get "hooked up" with a nice load after the mini, you will be swapped because of the 16 hour clock! Any how, you have to balance the good with the bad. Now, do you want to take a 50 mile run on a friday afternoon and ruin your chances of getting a long weekend load: no! You have to review each and every load on a case by case basis!

Got to love being leased to a Carrier that lets those contracted with them take "personal responsibility" and run "their" business as if they know their own limits and will deliver freight in the alloted time and safely without being micro-managed....

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Blizzard wrote:

Got to love being leased to a Carrier that lets those contracted with them take "personal responsibility" and run "their" business as if they know their own limits and will deliver freight in the alloted time and safely without being micro-managed....

Panther attempted to do that to me back in 05. Did a short at 8 am, then sat a few hours and scored a long haul. Forget how far but I left at 4 PM and delivered at 9 AM. Head had just hit the pillow and I had another load offer that was 600 miles pickup in 1 hour.

I called, made mention that I had been up for 36 hours and their reply was "ya. so?" I said call safety and if they say it's ok I'll run it out.

Safety agreed with me.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Panther attempted to do that to me back in 05. Did a short at 8 am, then sat a few hours and scored a long haul. Forget how far but I left at 4 PM and delivered at 9 AM. Head had just hit the pillow and I had another load offer that was 600 miles pickup in 1 hour.

I called, made mention that I had been up for 36 hours and their reply was "ya. so?" I said call safety and if they say it's ok I'll run it out.

Safety agreed with me.

This is employee-type thinking. You make it sound like you were being given the load assignment, something that you were expected to take, as in a forced-dispatch operation. What happened was, you were given an opportunity, one for you to evaluate for yourself as to whether or not you could do it. If you couldn't, then turning it down was the right thing, and you owe nobody an explanation. So they didn't try to "do something to you." Now, when they cut you off at 16 hours regardless of how alert you are, THAT'S doing something to you.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
This is employee-type thinking. You make it sound like you were being given the load assignment, something that you were expected to take, as in a forced-dispatch operation. What happened was, you were given an opportunity, one for you to evaluate for yourself as to whether or not you could do it. If you couldn't, then turning it down was the right thing, and you owe nobody an explanation. So they didn't try to "do something to you." Now, when they cut you off at 16 hours regardless of how alert you are, THAT'S doing something to you.

They bumped me to the bottom of the pile because I 'refused' the load.

Could I have done it? yes. Should I have run it? No. I wonder if the 16 hour rule was more for dispatchers than drivers.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
They bumped me to the bottom of the pile because I 'refused' the load.

Could I have done it? yes. Should I have run it? No. I wonder if the 16 hour rule was more for dispatchers than drivers.

Sometimes I forget how life was with the Big Boys.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sometimes I forget how life was with the Big Boys.

BigBoyBop-John-Baeder-1985.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.
:D

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
You guys at panther I feel you I was there for 23 months until recent. If you don't play their game they stick it to you. A tip for you guys. If your on a board with a lot of people and your on the bottom. Take that small run less than 100 miles. Get that first out and head back to the board you came from and you now jumped yourself to the top. For example Chicago normally has tons of vans. Sometimes 15 or more. If you can jump to the start of the line you just saved yourself a couple days of sitting. Done that so many times and got out of places very fast. Taking that small load sometimes pays off !

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The big boys don't play games like that, only those who think they are big do.

I dunno...I'm pretty sure Panther would be considered one of the big boys.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
Out of curiousity what's the longest you've been "stuck" on one of the load boards... I'm on day 5 now

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Out of curiousity what's the longest you've been "stuck" on one of the load boards... I'm on day 5 now

2 days. Then I'd call and ask where the freight was. Sometimes dispatch would say "we have a 1200 mile load picking up in the am, but it's a 175 miles away.

Give it to me!

Or they will tell you where it's been hot, and there are few/no trucks.

The trick is you have to trust your dispatchers. Something I had a really hard time doing with Panther since I never got the same dispatcher twice.

JLew90

Active Expediter
If u dont want to sit east coast is the place to be but it sucks with all the tolls bad drivers and traffic jams its nice to get a big run out west big miles more money... But your best bet i know with panther is an empty move to minninapolis or get your owner to get a backhaul... Laredo is a very good place to get a good load but u will sit its like an automatic 34hour restart everytime... I havent been to cali yet but i heard u will run up and down up and down ect ect... As far as florida gos em to atlanta

oejadu

Active Expediter
Did you deliver to John Deere?

No long deadhead from Bizmarck ND...down to Rogers MN...then after sitting the weekend..to Chicago, deadhead again...now sitting on my couch...back to Chicago on Thursday...Lets hope the week only gets better

JLew90

Active Expediter
You guys at panther I feel you I was there for 23 months until recent. If you don't play their game they stick it to you. A tip for you guys. If your on a board with a lot of people and your on the bottom. Take that small run less than 100 miles. Get that first out and head back to the board you came from and you now jumped yourself to the top. For example Chicago normally has tons of vans. Sometimes 15 or more. If you can jump to the start of the line you just saved yourself a couple days of sitting. Done that so many times and got out of places very fast. Taking that small load sometimes pays off !

I think all panther drivers catch on to that real quick lol

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I think all panther drivers catch on to that real quick lol
Took me a little bit of time but once I figured it out I saved alot money and time by taking the short and getting the first out. But sometimes you get stick with the first out and the next load they offer is another short lol

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
Took me a little bit of time but once I figured it out I saved alot money and time by taking the short and getting the first out. But sometimes you get stick with the first out and the next load they offer is another short lol

Problem is when being solo sitting a while... finally on top of a board...to have teams come in days later then see they are pulled from lower positions and offered a short and return same day on top with a first out...

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Problem is when being solo sitting a while... finally on top of a board...to have teams come in days later then see they are pulled from lower positions and offered a short and return same day on top with a first out...

On the unofficial drivers list of rules for panther it states

"first out does not mean you will be the first out"

When the offered me first out it was rare that I got excited about it. When I was green I thought they where a big deal till I pulled in to at truck stop near Detroit and found 8 panther vans all sitting there with first outs.

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
On the unofficial drivers list of rules for panther it states

"first out does not mean you will be the first out"

When the offered me first out it was rare that I got excited about it. When I was green I thought they where a big deal till I pulled in to at truck stop near Detroit and found 8 panther vans all sitting there with first outs.

To add being 1st period on the board (1st out or not) means notta also lately.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
To add being 1st period on the board (1st out or not) means notta also lately.

yup. For me with Panther if they offered me first out in a hub with a lot of trucks sitting I'd tell them I'd do the short (or what ever they where asking me to do) for a empty move to better spot.

Many times they where willing to do it. For me I always seemed to have better luck getting the empty move to somewhere else than first out on a packed board.