Stuck

oejadu

Active Expediter
So here again after a good start to the week, a nice 770 mile trip..I sit again, almost a full day. I have 2 companies looking for runs back out of "a good area" as they say. An still haven't gotten one yet. I know that is part of the game, waiting, an wait some more. But when you companies tell you "you are in a good freight lane" should it really take this long. I know others are out there bidding on the same runs that the companies I run for are.. Just frustrated alittle. Had hopes for a decent week, it started out ok, but then reality sets in and I know I am stuck probally for the night.. O well..sry to complain...

So what is the normal "sit time" or "wait time" after you have unloaded an trying to get another load. You would think that the dispatchers, who knew where I would be this morning would have started to look yesterday for a run outta here...maybe they did, maybe they didnt...o well...back to sleep I go

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
So here again after a good start to the week, a nice 770 mile trip..I sit again, almost a full day. I have 2 companies looking for runs back out of "a good area" as they say. An still haven't gotten one yet. I know that is part of the game, waiting, an wait some more. But when you companies tell you "you are in a good freight lane" should it really take this long. I know others are out there bidding on the same runs that the companies I run for are.. Just frustrated alittle. Had hopes for a decent week, it started out ok, but then reality sets in and I know I am stuck probally for the night.. O well..sry to complain...

So what is the normal "sit time" or "wait time" after you have unloaded an trying to get another load. You would think that the dispatchers, who knew where I would be this morning would have started to look yesterday for a run outta here...maybe they did, maybe they didnt...o well...back to sleep I go

Depending on the company, you could be in BFE Montana and they would tell you your in a good freightline. It's one of the things you'll learn (sadly, the hard way) is where to go, and where not to.

So...Where are you?

oejadu

Active Expediter
Fargo ND.

an no its not shocking to be sitting again...seems to happen to me alot. get a run somewhere an then sit....

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Fargo ND.

an no its not shocking to be sitting again...seems to happen to me alot. get a run somewhere an then sit....

There is your problem.

Things go to ND. Rarely come out. Might have to dead head out. I've been out of OTR to long, but when panther talked me in to going to Wyoming I made them send me an empty move back to Minneapolis before I would accept. Something told me there is not much going on up there. Mainly the fact that in 2 years it was the first run to that part of the world they sent me.

It's slow now to. Run and sit, run and sit, it's what expediters do.

Again, I am really rusty, but I live in the Minneapolis market and never had a problem getting loaded and out of town when in town.

The biggest problem I had was Panther not understanding OOS and calling all the time while i was trying to get some home time.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome to the real world of expedited. How long will you sit? Nobody really knows.

I've had times where I barely had one load dropped and they were giving me the next one, then on the other hand I've sat for nearly a week-- and then got a relatively cheap run at the end of that wait. So, about how long you wait--- your guess is as good as mine.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not knowing who you are with there's a chance Fargo is a good freight lane for you but most likely it isn't all that great.

If this were Tue-Sat I'd expect more likelihood they might have been looking and possibly finding a load "yesterday" while on the way with this one. Sunday isn't a great day for loads.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
It's slow now to. Run and sit, run and sit, it's what expediters do.

Yes it is slow still. There has been talk of the deadhead back to the Minneapolis area. So we shall see..Hope to be moving tonight or early tomorrow.

Let me know if you end up in Mpls for the night. we can do some table trucking at the truck stop.

I suggest the one in Rogers off 94/101. I think it's a TA. it's the closest to the cities with out driving through them. I forget what it was, a bearing place I think that is in Rogers that I always picked it up at.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Just know that you are now aquiring "your experience". Learn from it. We all had to do same thing. Sometimes you feel as though nobody cares. Realistically, sitting is what we all do from time to time. Plenty of time to think!

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
good luck lol i have been drivin c/v for a few weeks not with 6 finger print loads only a few sit days tho ... i got pre dispatched for friday another fingerprint ... idk y but i think i am seein alot of that 2 percent touch lol ... i will sit eventually lol my arms need a break lol

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
good luck lol i have been drivin c/v for a few weeks not with 6 finger print loads only a few sit days tho ... i got pre dispatched for friday another fingerprint ... idk y but i think i am seein alot of that 2 percent touch lol ... i will sit eventually lol my arms need a break lol

95% of what I do is touch loads. bags up to 70lbs.

Good work out for me. I knew what I was getting in to so I made sure I was paid accordingly :)

I do give them a discount for a solid 5 day a week route though.

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
yeah i knew i would get a lot of finger prin since im new to expediting and driveing altogether ... theres a guy signed on with the same company that has been there a copple years and the most he lifts is a pallet puller and he is always loaded ... it dosnt bug me im 23 so i can use it lol ... i just feel i wasted money on a pallet puller i havent used yet lol i have only had 2 skids on one at a time lol ... but atleast im not sitting yet but i will be when i get back out ... and i get paid i get a week off when i want it no questions as long as i have been out 3 weeks

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
There are lots of times when you have a good week and start thinking you're going to be rich soon, and then the next week you get skunked and between the two of them you only break even or even take a loss. It happens. Happens that way on a monthly basis, too.
--
--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Oh, btw, every time you go to the boonies, and Fargo is the boonies, you're rolling the dice. Same goes for El Paso, Laredo, anything west of Kansas City, really. If you go out there with tall miles and then get a good load back, JACKPOT, or BINGO, or whatever. But you may get nothing and have to DH back or you may get something back on the cheap or after sitting a long time that wipes out your profit from the load out. Happens. It's a gamble you take every time you go to the boonies.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I think they send those loads to the new guys. Not wanting to reject a load in their first month or two.. or not knowing they should. They take it.

oejadu

Active Expediter
Yeah wishing I would of been awake all the way when I took on my load outta Minneapolis. Stuck back up in Minot ND. its cold, snowing an windy...o what a great time in the back of the van. at least I can steal wifi...something to do at least...

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah wishing I would of been awake all the way when I took on my load outta Minneapolis. Stuck back up in Minot ND. its cold, snowing an windy...o what a great time in the back of the van. at least I can steal wifi...something to do at least...

Rule number one..

Don't take runs to BFE
Rule number two. If they don't offer backhaul or spiff for taking it the reject button is your friend.