Big Truck Straight truck, What to expect?

Sandoz_25

New Recruit
Driver
I have a job lined up for 25 percent of the load as a company driver (ranging 1000 bucks per load +-) going to as far as 8 hours away cross border from where I live. How does that rate sound for a new inexperienced DZ driver? What are some things i need to expect? Any advice or things ill need to know before heading out on the road? i wont be paying for a truck or anything and Im in Ontario, Canada btw. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a job lined up for 25 percent of the load as a company driver (ranging 1000 bucks per load +-) going to as far as 8 hours away cross border from where I live. How does that rate sound for a new inexperienced DZ driver? What are some things i need to expect? Any advice or things ill need to know before heading out on the road? Im in Ontario, Canada btw. Thanks in advance :)
Who is paying for fuel? The industry standard is 60/40 with the 60 going to the one who buys the he fuel and 40 going to the one who doesn’t. Do you have a FAST card, if not plan on getting one. Helps out at the border.

Sandoz_25

New Recruit
Driver
I have a job lined up for 25 percent of the load as a company driver (ranging 1000 bucks per load +-) going to as far as 8 hours away cross border from where I live. How does that rate sound for a new inexperienced DZ driver? What are some things i need to expect? Any advice or things ill need to know before heading out on the road? Im in Ontario, Canada btw. Thanks in advance :)
Who is paying for fuel? The industry standard is 60/40 with the 60 going to the one who buys the he fuel and 40 going to the one who doesn’t. Do you have a FAST card, if not plan on getting one. Helps out at the border.

yes i applied for a fast card, its taking ages though due to the government shutdown. And im not paying for fuel or any expenses, other than a phone plan.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Will you be driving 8 hours for $250 US or CDN? Are you then driving back 8 hours loaded for another 250 or driving 8 hours unpaid empty for another load? Are you getting empty miles deadhead pay? Are you paying tolls? Does the truck have a sleeper? Will you have a motel room in which to rest between 8 hr plus on duty times? Are you a W2 employee with benefits or designated as an independent contractor with zero benefits. If the latter you might want to ask for a minimum of 40% plus reimbursement of tolls and fuel; that would be the norm. Ask for a written contract !