Straight Truck Driver Question.

dodgeboy

Seasoned Expediter
Well, I have finally come to the realization that I have been handicapping my ability to make money for too long. I have been fooling around with the infamous "cargo van" for quite some time now and I have barely been breaking even. So, despite the current economic situation, I am going to try my hand as a "fleed driver" in a straight truck.

Thus before I bust out with my "questions" I shall provide you guys with a little bit of back ground on my most extensive driving career. I am a licensed class A cdl holder with endorsements T-X and I have a clean DAC report as well as a clean MVR. The problem is that I have not "physically" driven an 18 wheeler since late 2002. But, I do however, have two years of "accident free" verifiable driving experience. And from what I understand, experience is not necessarily a requirement when jumping from a cargo van to a straight truck.

Having elaborated on my situation in the above paragraph, I would like to ask you guys a couple of routine questions.

1. Will all companies make me take a driving test with a safety person before I can drive a straight truck?

2. Do all companies require recent straight truck experience? My main question is "does fedex require recent straight truck experience" before they take on new drivers?

3. What company is good for a solo straight truck driver?

4. Does anyone know of any decent fleet owners who pay on time and treat their drivers good?

If you have any useful answers, you can post them here on the thread. But if you feel that your answers may be negative towards one company or another (or fleet owner or another) can you please send your responses via a private message. Any how, thank you guys in advance for any pertinent information that you can provide me with and I wish everyone a prosperous 2009.:cool:

Last edited:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Can't imagine any self respecting owner not requiring a driving test. In my case I required about a months running with ME, before I turned the truck over to someone.

For as long as I can remember, any small company is better for a single driver than any large company. Depending on what you call large or small.

There are a lot of good owners out there, start calling. I'd suggest you run with the owner to see what they are made of also.

I hope this info is worty of you reading.

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
2. Do all companies require recent straight truck experience? My main question is "does fedex require recent straight truck experience" before they take on new drivers?

I read this on the fedex site:

14'&22' Straight Truck Qualifications
FedEx said:
All straight truck drivers (C & D units) must have:

1. Six months minimum, verifiable commercial driving experience in same size vehicle intended to operate or greater within the past two years of the driver application date or
2. Pass a road test from a commercial driver training school pre-approved by FedEx Custom Critical.