Straight Truck Cargo Capacities

jrhouston

Seasoned Expediter
I am currently looking at two (2) different trucks. Both are Freightliners. My question is: can anyone tell me the load capacity of one truck with a 84" sleeper as well as a 96" sleeper? Both trucks have a GVW of 33,000 and both are single axle. Thanks for your replies in advance. J.R.::confused:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ask for a Scale slip for each truck...subtract the scale weight from the gvw and you now have the payload capacity of each truck.....

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Gonna need more info,who makes the sleepers,the boxes,rear end gear,auto or stick,and what engine do ya got.Is this a new purchase? if used any warranty? If you go with a MBE engine which one of my trk has be prepared for a erg valve and cooler around 250,000 or so.

jrhouston

Seasoned Expediter
One truck is a 2003 FL80. 96" raised roof sleeper. Cat 3126 engine. 6 speed trans, and 4:56 gear ratio. The other one is a 2004 M2 112. it has a 84" condo sleeper. MBE4000 engine. Autoshift trans and 3:58 gear ratio. Hope that this helps. Thanks. J.R.:p

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You should have something like 12k of cargo capacity depending on what drive train and whats in the sleeper. It should be more for the smaller sleeper.

Mine comes in at 22k loaded (fuel, fat driver, supplies, etc...), with a reefer box and equipment (lift gate, ect ...) - leaving me with about 10k if I push it. I have 9800 on the truck a couple times but didn't like it.

The reefer box adds 1200lbs to a normal box (mines 16 feet but I figured to replace it with an 18 foot box), the reefer unit is another 950, the lift gate is 800 lbs - so 2950 roughly extra weight. So if I went to the 18 foot box, I would shed about 3000, which puts me at 13k capacity.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
One truck is a 2003 FL80. 96" raised roof sleeper. Cat 3126 engine. 6 speed trans, and 4:56 gear ratio. The other one is a 2004 M2 112. it has a 84" condo sleeper. MBE4000 engine. Autoshift trans and 3:58 gear ratio. Hope that this helps. Thanks. J.R.:p

Go a get weight slip. all trucks are different. If you have a recycling company or feed mill near you or your home, take them there. they hardly charge anything. Most truck stops have scales also for a fee of around $ 9.00.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yeah a weight ticket is the way to go but the guy is looking and in general terms, I'm not going to be too far off, maybe by a 1000 lbs ... don't know what the sleeper is - condo, walk-through, etc... .

The 3126 weighs less than the MBE400 by I think 350 lbs. The 6 speed is usually the same weight, and the rear axle, assuming you have a Rockwell, will be the same. Single axle trucks normally have the 21k rear and 12k front.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Weigh both trucks for total empty weight and a split axle weight. Preferably with full fuel tanks, but that probably won't happen. If weighing on a full platform scale, weigh the truck with both axles on and then again with the steer axle off the scale. If you can catch two scales on a segmented scale, go for it.

Two trucks that are similar in appearance could have very different load capacities due to wheelbase, sleeper size, fuel tank size and placement and cargo box construction. The heavier of the two could actually haul more weight legally.

Don't get overly concerned about weight capacities when deciding between these two trucks. A 1000-1500 pound difference isn't going to make or break you, but a 4.56 gear ratio could. Also be aware that some of the large carriers have vehicle age limits.

Good luck and do some more research before you buy.

Deville

Not a Member
No lift gates. the 2003 is a FL80. Also a 22' Alumi Bunk Van Body with barn doors on both trucks. J.R.;)

My 2000 FL80 witha GWR of 35,000 witha 24 ft box, 64 inch sleeper two full tanks of fuel scaled in at 18,000 pds. So that means I COULD PUT 17K ON IT. I've come pretty close, had 15 & change on there, it handled it find.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Once you've figured out how much you can load in terms of gross weight, being able to load that much can be an issue. That FL 80 with a 96" bunk will have a problem getting weight on the steer. I have an M2 with an 84" and when I get above 10k I have to be able to get the weight forward in the box or I'll go over on my drive.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Once you've figured out how much you can load in terms of gross weight, being able to load that much can be an issue. That FL 80 with a 96" bunk will have a problem getting weight on the steer. I have an M2 with an 84" and when I get above 10k I have to be able to get the weight forward in the box or I'll go over on my drive.

I have same problem with my Pete with a 64 inch sleeper and 24 foot box. I can gross 13K if I put it on there right. I, too, have to load the front heavy to keep from going over on my drive axle. If I have 12 skids to haul that each weigh 1000 lbs each, and I can't stack at least two of them on the front, I will go over on my drive about 1000lb. And that is a big fine in most states. $360 in Tn. You gotta know your truck. And a Cat scale is best money spent if in doubt.

moose

Veteran Expediter
can't you move the steer axle backward a bit ?
how'bout sliding the 5th wheel ?
maybe moving the sleeper to the back of the truck ?
i'M bored ...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You gotta know your truck. And a Cat scale is best money spent if in doubt.
To carry this good thought a bit further, and for those who do not know, you can get to know your truck by taking the opportunity and time to do it. When you find yourself with a small number of heavy skids on your truck, and if you have time, and if the load is not sealed, and if you have or can borrow a pallet jack where a truck scale is available; use that time and take the opportunity to move the freight around in your truck and weigh the truck a few times to discover exactly how the position of the freight affects your axle weights. If you have a lift axle, experiment also with different settings to see how your axle weights are affected.