"Stink thinkin", but it got me to wondering

Monty

Expert Expediter
While taking a break in the little room down the hall I got to wondering.

I am not about to return to the road, but it occoured to me if I did, a C-D truck with a fancy sleeper might be the thing for my wife and I.

Now ... she is not eligible for a CDL, since she is insulin dependent. However she manages it very well, finishing the last few years of her law enforcement career with no issues.

That said ...... a unit under 26,000 pounds does not require a CDL, if no hazmat is being transported.

Carriers such as Landstar REQUIRE a hazmat endorsement. Do all major carriers?

In other words, should I go buy one, and wish her to co-drive, what reputable carrier would allow an insulin dependent co-driver to be signed on?

Just wondering, as this might answer some concerns for others as well.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hazmat: not all carriers require it. I dropped the cert last time, as I don't choose to haul it any longer.
The insulin rule though, isn't up to the carrier, it's a DOT requirement. One can obtain a waiver if on insulin, but I hear the the process is difficult. Worth pursuing further, certainly.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
While taking a break in the little room down the hall I got to wondering.

I am not about to return to the road, but it occoured to me if I did, a C-D truck with a fancy sleeper might be the thing for my wife and I.

Now ... she is not eligible for a CDL, since she is insulin dependent. However she manages it very well, finishing the last few years of her law enforcement career with no issues.

That said ...... a unit under 26,000 pounds does not require a CDL, if no hazmat is being transported.

Carriers such as Landstar REQUIRE a hazmat endorsement. Do all major carriers?

In other words, should I go buy one, and wish her to co-drive, what reputable carrier would allow an insulin dependent co-driver to be signed on?

Just wondering, as this might answer some concerns for others as well.
Just a small question....have you ran this idea by your wife? If not, could you please use that new video recorder you have to show us her reaction? :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For most carriers it wont be a matter of the endorsement, and thus also requiring a CDL, but simply a matter of being physically qualified on the Long Form of the DOT medical examination. Most carriers require van drivers with no CDL to still pass that physical. This may not be the case with smaller carriers, I don't know, but it is with all the ones I'm aware of.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I knew a driver that was insulin dependent while driving T/T intermodal for JB Hunt out of Chicago. JB is super strict on safety compliance. I saw his waiver but never asked what was involved in obtaining it.

Monty

Expert Expediter
My point is .... under 26,000 pounds requires NO CDL, hence no requirement for a physical, or if there is one, it would not be a requirement regarding insulin.

And this is just for discussion! Hell no, I ain't coming back! :rolleyes:

There would be no FEDERAL regulation regarding insulin. (since there is no CDL) ... now, let me go research the physical requirements for such information.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most of the carriers I know require you to pass the DOT physical, CDL or not. Even for cargo van drivers.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Better take time to read the regulations just to see if maybe perhaps a DOT physical is required, along with a pre-employement drug screen, as well as logs for operators of vehicles between 10,001 and 26,000 GVW.

Thanks,

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run a 26,000# S/T day cab with my own authority. If you run intrastate inside your state lines you might not need a medical card I recomend you check with your states regs. If you run interstate you need a medical card as you fall deep into FMCSA regs. Being a non CDL unit the diabetes might not be an issue or they might give an ammended card with a shorter time for the next physical like six months to a year instead of the usual two years Im not exactly sure on how that works. I dont recomend it but, we all know of guys that go by the Dont ask Dont tell in other words they do not to disclose the condition. The examiner usualy hands you a form and you check the boxes. You dont need a CDL, no logbook if 150 mile radius of home inside your states lines, also IFTA is not required. Still have the same B.S. with dot, and repairs. Important thing to find out is how much can you scale and still be legal especialy if you have a large sleeper.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I am a non insulin Type 2 diabetic and my medical card needs to be renewed every year because of it. Insulin dependent drivers may need a physical every 6 months. I also have sleep apnea and the CPAP machine needs to be verified that I am using it.
On a side note: If the truck is under 26,000# and is equipped with air brakes you still need a Class B CDL.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I am a non insulin Type 2 diabetic and my medical card needs to be renewed every year because of it. Insulin dependent drivers may need a physical every 6 months. I also have sleep apnea and the CPAP machine needs to be verified that I am using it.
On a side note: If the truck is under 26,000# and is equipped with air brakes you still need a Class B CDL.

Not true. The Class B CDL is is for vehicles 26001 or more. The Class A is for 26001 or more combination vehicle. Many of the rental penske trucks are equipped with air brakes and driven by everyone on the sun without cdl.

kurtkaoss

Active Expediter
I also am a type 2 diabetic...I run a Sprinter, and still had to get my DOT physical, because my carrier requires it. You will find that most of the companies on EO require a drug screen and physical for their insurance and just to stay in compliance. I also looked into the waiver process, just in case I ever became insulin dependent...it can take up to 6 months for a response with a yea or nay from the government.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
BigCat I was set to argue with you but I can't find anything in FMCSR regulations that says a CDL is required for under 26000 lbs with air brakes. Forums only say that some think certain states require a CDL. It's like a big gray area. I'm 64 and still learning.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
A friend of mine teaches at a driving school and has confirmed to me that you DO NOT need to a CDL to drive a straight truck under 26000 lbs. Even if it has air brakes a CDL is not required. So it is not a gray area in Federal Regulations.