Sprinter Water Pump Replacement

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
After almost 293,000 miles it looks like it's time to replace the water pump.

I got the pump from Autozone - it is a new pump with lifetime warranty, they had the best price ($129.99, and counts toward my $20 credit) - about $10 bucks cheaper than EuroParts, $35 cheaper Berry Dodge, and $70 cheaper than my local Dodge dealer (who is trying to win customers and influence people by charging MORE than dealer list .... scumbags ....)

Autozone does not stock this part (apparently not even in their warehouses) - they outsource it from another vendor, although it did come boxed in Autozone's "Duralast" brand packaging ..... ordered it late Wednesday night, and Fedex delivered to my local store this afternoon by 15:00.

The machined mating surface looked good - no irregularities (I know some have had issues with this) and it included a gasket (separate item when you buy from Dodge apparently) - which appears to be metal, coated with some type of black material (almost looks and feels like rubber)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
After almost 293,000 miles it looks like it's time to replace the water pump.

I got the pump from Autozone - it is a new pump with lifetime warranty, they had the best price ($129.99, and counts toward my $20 credit) - about $10 bucks cheaper than EuroParts, $35 cheaper Berry Dodge, and $70 cheaper than my local Dodge dealer (who is trying to win customers and influence people by charging MORE than dealer list .... scumbags ....)

Autozone does not stock this part (apparently not even in their warehouses) - they outsource it from another vendor, although it did come boxed in Autozone's "Duralast" brand packaging ..... ordered it late Wednesday night, and Fedex delivered to my local store this afternoon by 15:00.

The machined mating surface looked good - no irregularities (I know some have had issues with this) and it included a gasket (separate item when you buy from Dodge apparently) - which appears to be metal, coated with some type of black material (almost looks and feels like rubber)

Did it come with new bolts as well??

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Did it come with new bolts as well??
Nope - but it did include both gaskets - the main one for the pump itself that I mentioned earlier, and the one between the pump and the manifold.

Was it Fed Ex CC?
Dunno for sure - but I rather kinda doubt it :D

How was it failing?
Seal on the shaft went bad, leaking out the weep hole in the casting.

Water pump is about the only original part I have left.
I'm knockin' on wood for ya eb .... ;)

Took about 60 minutes or so of actual work to get it off ...... was pretty easy ....

(I had to keep comin' in the house and washing my hands so I could get on the computer and review Vic The Water :censoredsign:'s writeup on doing it ....)

By the time I got it off, the sun was gettin' low in the sky and the temp was going down ..... so I figured I'd wait until tomorrow when it will be 60 and sunny to put the new one on .... :D

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The book says to change out the bolts...

the first pump lasted just over 369,000K..just had another put in last month at about 186K..almost 1/2 life???..seal every time...$169 for the pump gaskets and new bolts inclusive...and 2.5 hrs labour... at my SD dealer both times..

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The book says to change out the bolts...
The service manual I have says nothing about changing out the bolts .... I know the that the procedure for the '04's is slightly different .... despite using the same water pump apparently .... :rolleyes:

Which "book" are you referring to exactly ?

the first pump lasted just over 369,000K..just had another put in last month at about 186K..almost 1/2 life???..seal every time...$169 for the pump gaskets and new bolts inclusive...and 2.5 hrs labour... at my SD dealer both times..
Sounds like your dealer is pretty reasonable on parts (since that price is below dealer list price .....) ..... and ya can't beat free labor ....

Of course ..... if you are a good customer ..... ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
FWIW, when I had mine replaced at my regular mechanic, not the Sprinter mechanic, they replaced the screws, too. Three of them, IIRC.

Hey, guess what's on HBO Family right now? 1976's Bound For Glory, starring David Carradine. :D

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
FWIW, when I had mine replaced at my regular mechanic, not the Sprinter mechanic, they replaced the screws, too. Three of them, IIRC.
One of the bolts/screws - the one that holds the idler pulley onto the water pump housing is a particular type of thread-cutting screw, with a triangular shaped tip/end.

As I understand it, the waterpump casting itself is supplied without threads cut on that particular hole (where the idler pulley is mounted) and this bolt is used to cut the threads at the time of installation. A normal tap should not be used to cut threads into this hole.

I think Ciprian can back me up on this, or correct or clarify, if what I've stated above is any way inaccurate.

OVM,

When you said it was "in the book" to replace the bolts, was this
something you actually read yourself with your own eyes (and if so, what book did you read it in ?) ....... or is this just hearsay from a mechanic that worked on your vehicle ?

I have seen no mention (by anyone, but particularly by Doktor A) of the need to replace these bolts in various threads on Sprinter waterpump replacement elsewhere ..... but thenI really wasn't looking for it either .....

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the bolts/screws - the one that holds the idler pulley onto the water pump housing is a particular type of thread-cutting screw, with a triangular shaped tip/end.

As I understand it, the waterpump casting itself is supplied without threads cut on that particular hole (where the idler pulley is mounted) and this bolt is used to cut the threads at the time of installation. A normal tap should not be used to cut threads into this hole.

I think Ciprian can back me up on this, or correct or clarify, if what I've stated above is any way inaccurate.

OVM,

When you said it was "in the book" to replace the bolts, was this
something you actually read yourself with your own eyes (and if so, what book did you read it in ?) ....... or is this just hearsay from a mechanic that worked on your vehicle ?

I have seen no mention (by anyone, but particularly by Doktor A) of the need to replace these bolts in various threads on Sprinter waterpump replacement elsewhere ..... but thenI really wasn't looking for it either .....

It was hearsay...but I was standing next to him when he opened the box...and I watched him as he put in the pulley bolt and he explained how that hole is not threaded...so your info appears good...;)

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
It was hearsay...but I was standing next to him when he opened the box...and I watched him as he put in the pulley bolt and he explained how that hole is not threaded...so your info appears good...;)
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not disputing that there may be something in some of the service materials (which might only be available to dealers) that say to or suggests replacing the bolts - however that recommendation is not my service manual. Nor is it in any TSB that I'm aware of.

The front brakes on my wifes car are like that - the pads actually come with new bolts, which have thread locker already on them.

I also didn't see any mention of bolt replacement, in the threads I read elsewhere that dealt with water pump replacement on the OM 647 engine .... so barring any buggered threads, I'm not overly concerned at the prospect of reusing the old bolts.

carterspeed3

Seasoned Expediter
How much do I have to spend if I go to an automotive shop and have my water pump replaced? I've seen from this car repair costs that the estimated price of shop repair is $391.54 in parts and labor while a DIY would only cost $63.90 parts only. That's a big difference. I was wondering if their estimate is accurate. and since the estimate is made for cars. I couldn't find one for trucks.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
since a water pump for an 05/06 sprinter is anywhere from 130/160 bucks just how can one DIY for any cheaper? plus the cost of sprinter antifreeze at $20 a gallon...