Sprinter vs cutaway van?

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
Which would you recommend and why? Gonna be buying soon and I'm just wondering. I'd like to buy used.

Also, any dealership recommendations?

Thanks all!
Pakrat

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
I would go with a old panski truck 15 foot that are good but go with the cheve one as thay are under 10000 gvw u can make a nice living space to if u make a wall that moves

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Depends on what kind of freight you have access to. The cube is great if you have the sources to keep it loaded at straight truck rates!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Depends on what kind of freight you have access to. The cube is great if you have the sources to keep it loaded at straight truck rates!!

But think of it this way, a properly setup Sprinter box truck that gets the same mileage as most vans and can haul more bulk would be more of a gain than just a van. With the average of 18 mpg, you could run get all kinds of work.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
But think of it this way, a properly setup Sprinter box truck that gets the same mileage as most vans and can haul more bulk would be more of a gain than just a van. With the average of 18 mpg, you could run get all kinds of work.

You are correct Greg, I did look at some used Frito Lay Sprinter cubes awhile back. They would make great expedite trucks. I personally am just not a fan of Mercedes. I am GM all the way, and I love my D-max. It's just my personal preference, not to say they don't make a solid vehicle.

Those used Frito Lay sprinter cubes have larger than normal boxes special spec'ed just for them, and if used properly you can make some money!!

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Ya but thay are also are about 1.10 to 1.25 cpm and you can stay moving a lot more so plus I think they are cheper and can have more wight then a sprenter

Those rates are to cheap to operate a Cube van. You should be making C truck rate at min. to run them. Don't sell yourself short.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
8 months ago i was looking hard at getting one of the YELLOW cubes. 15 ft.box and big movable sleeping area sounded good. BUT then i sat down and figured the POOR gas mileage and NOT always going to get the HIGHER RATES for that SIZE of van and the EMPTY WEIGHT didn't PLEASE ME. I went with 1 ton extended chevy van and I'm VERY PLEASED i did. The company I'm with keeps me busy and when i park overnight at truckstops and GET loaded before the YELLOW cubes I'm :D. The way i look at it MORE LOADS= MORE MONEY . OH I ALSO DON'T RUN CHEAP. Just my 2 cents.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those rates are to cheap to operate a Cube van. You should be making C truck rate at min. to run them. Don't sell yourself short.

Why should he be making C truck rate at minimum if it is not a C truck?

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
I was thinking of a cutaway with a cargo max type body. Maybe even a van with the extended roof. Will probably boil down to what I can get the best deal on. I like the sprinters except the maintenance seems high. Don't the cube vans put you over 10k where you have to run logs?

Diesel vs gas? I wouldn't think you could get the same mileage out of a gasser.

I wish the Ford Transit was available. I'd really like to look at one.

Pakrat

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Don't have to get the same mileage out of a gasoline powered van, just maybe 80% or so because gasoline is about 80% the cost of diesel . . . AND NO DEF fluid!

RonJonCMC

Seasoned Expediter
I like my 08 Dodge Sprinter 170 Extended. I end up hauling more cargo van loads, but also have the extra room when needed. Can't say enough about being able to stand up to get dressed and the extra living space while laying over to wait on the next run. Personally I wouldn't have anything other than a diesel. I average 19-20 mpg.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Why should he be making C truck rate at minimum if it is not a C truck?

Anything bigger than a standard van load (96" x 48" x 48") "should" be charged as C rate. And the contractor should be paid correctly :D

I was quoting the rates he posted 1.10 to 1.25. In my book that is what a van load pays including FS on the low end. A cube van is a C unit and so is a Sprinter, Technically anything that can haul anything bigger than a standard van up to 5000 pounds is a C unit. Not saying a Sprinter or cube can safely/legally haul 5k. :eek:

If you got a pc that was 100" long in your 04 Chevy then you should of been paid C rate. That day you where hauling a C truck load. ;)

Last edited:

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
Anything bigger than a standard van load (96" x 48" x 48") "should" be charged as C rate. And the contractor should be paid correctly :D

I was quoting the rates he posted 1.10 to 1.25. In my book that is what a van load pays including FS on the low end. A cube van is a C unit and so is a Sprinter, Technically anything that can haul anything bigger than a standard van up to 5000 pounds is a C unit. Not saying a Sprinter or cube can safely/legally haul 5k. :eek:

If you got a pc that was 100" long in your 04 Chevy then you should of been paid C rate. That day you where hauling a C truck load. ;)

100" ? How is t
It I should be payed more that is less then the spec for my van and this is the 1st ive heard of c loads if I am losing money would like to know thanks

Last edited:

60MPH

Expert Expediter
100" ? How is t
It I should be payed more that is less then the spec for my van and this is the 1st ive heard of c loads if I am losing money would like to know thanks

I don't know what you are asking. But if the freight is longer than 96" wider than 48",taller than 48" or weighs more than 2500 pounds it "SHOULD" be paid as a C rate. Some carriers do not do this, I know people that haul C type freight in sprinters at van rates because that is all there carrier will pay them. :rolleyes:

IMHO they should not take that freight at the van rate, they are only selling themselves short. If I invested in a unit larger than a van then I would expect C rate. That's just me, others will disagree as I occasionally run in to a cube or sprinter moving C freight for .90 including FSC :mad:

Those that do that are IMHO one of the biggest reasons the rates have been going down since about 2005 for C type freight. I know there are members on this site that have/had Super B's and small C truck 's and they are/were finding it difficult to get C rate's because cheap people where moving this freight at or near van rates. The Sprinter is a nice unit but it put a hurting on the C rates. IMHO

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't know what you are asking. But if the freight is longer than 96" wider than 48",taller than 48" or weighs more than 2500 pounds it "SHOULD" be paid as a C rate. Some carriers do not do this, I know people that haul C type freight in sprinters at van rates because that is all there carrier will pay them. :rolleyes:

IMHO they should not take that freight at the van rate, they are only selling themselves short. If I invested in a unit larger than a van then I would expect C rate. That's just me, others will disagree as I occasionally run in to a cube or sprinter moving C freight for .90 including FSC :mad:

Sprinters cost more to maintain and thus the total rate for a sprinter should be at least 20 percent higher than that of a cargo van. Also, those people who overload the box trucks and cube vans will go through tires, brakes, shocks, drive-shafts, and transmissions like a mailman goes through sneakers. That's why I'm not going to get a bigger truck. In fact my next van is going to be a 2500 Extended GMC with a 4.8 liter engine. I made more money in my old 1500 than I'm making in my current 1 ton. If you have the right customers (and I know you do because I know your business model) you don't have to run heavy!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If the sprinter is to be considered a c unit, then it should be treated as a truck - logging and all.

A truck is more than 20% over the cost of a Sprinter to maintain too. So with that in mind, if a van gets $1.20 a mile, a sprinter gets $1.44 a mile then a C unit should be getting $1.75 a mile and a D unit would get 5% more.

I think the idea of a C unit, B unit and such has been outdated for a long time.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I'm not smart enough to understand that statement that if a Sprinter is considered a c unit then Sprinters should be treated as a truck and have to log all the time.
I can't figure out what the pay rate classification of Sprinter loads among Expediter carriers has to do with DOT regulations concerning the type or size of a vehicle included in or exempt from the hours of service regulations regarding the requirement to keep logs.
I would appreciate it if someone can explain this for me.