Sprinter Virgin & Used ATF Analyses

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The attached ATF analysis was done on virgin (unused) Febi/Bilstein ATF, which meets the Mercedes-Benz 236.12 spec which is required for Sprinters. The ATF is blended by Pentosin, and is said to be (by Europarts of San Diego, who sells it) the same fluid which Chrysler offers under the Mopar brand.

The purpose of having an unused sample analyzed was to provide a baseline against which analyses of used ATF could be evaluated. (Note, I believe Chrysler has now come out with a 236.14 spec which is designed to be used in the newer 7-speed automatics - since that fluid is likely of a different composition, it can not be evaluated against the analysis for this sample)

Please note the acidity of this fluid (TAN, or total acid number)

Attachments

• D48887.jpg
    D48887.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 15

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
This was the analysis done on a sample of my ATF that was pulled just prior to changing the ATF for the 2nd time. This fluid currently has about 30K miles on it.

Since the ATF is expensive ($14/liter @ Europarts, $20 or more per quart at a Dodge dealer) I will be looking to extend the change interval if possible. I have two additional filters (a full-flow spin-on and a sub-micronic bypass) and an auxiliary cooler installed on the vehicle.

Will pull a sample when the fluid has 60K miles on it and see how it looks at that time.

Attachments

• D48568.jpg
    D48568.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 8

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Yes, I believe they do ..... but you are only supposed to use it on your salad .... and not actually in the transmission.

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
you have 2 additional filters on the tranny lines? impressive. wish i could read the uoa but even with my cheaters i can't read the fine print.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
you have 2 additional filters on the tranny lines? impressive.
Yup - another Motor Guard bypass - like is being used on my engine - that dumps into a full-flow spin-on (your basic Ford oil filter) on a remote PermaCool filtermount.

wish i could read the uoa but even with my cheaters i can't read the fine print.
Right click on it and open it in another browser window or save it your hard drive - the file itself is actually alot larger than you are being allowed to see using the EO web interface ..... unless they downsized it without telling me when I uploaded it.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
And this (the bracket mounts between the frame rails between the radiator and engine):

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 17

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
If one had a filter capable of very fine filtration (down to less than a micron) on one's transmission, this is what you might see if you were to change the filter element after oh, say, 50K miles:

(New "element" compared with the old ...... :eek:)

Attachments

• IMG_0385 Lo-Res.jpg
    IMG_0385 Lo-Res.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 12

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
And this might be what A/T fluid, so filtered, would look like:

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 13

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Will do moose ..... ;)

I'm going to pull the filter in the next week or so and crack it open and see how the element looks after another 10K miles .... I expect it to be fairly clean ... but ya never know. :D

Probably pull a sample and have it analyzed and see what Blackstone says.

I'm at the recommended service interval for the fluid now (60K miles), but I'm going to try and extend it out to 100K before I change the fluid again.