Sprinter Survival Kit?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Texa software works with Sprinters, passenger cars, and heavy duty. Also will communicate with various ABS and transmission controllers.

It's also $6000.

This was probably not helpful.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Texa software works with Sprinters, passenger cars, and heavy duty. Also will communicate with various ABS and transmission controllers.

It's also $6000.

This was probably not helpful.
in an abstract way it is......with trucks and vans being more computerized then ever.....the cost of the software to fix it is not free.....automakers don't give it away to the dealerships....dealerships are just like us....independent people, entrepreneurs like operations...they make hefty investments to be able to serve us and expect a return on the investment.....like a good wrench that has $50,000 or more invested in his tool box....the wrench wants his investment back as well as the dealer so the charge is piggybacked together looking expensive....would you feel better if the dealer charged you $50 and the wrench charged you $60 on separate bills?.....just saying

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with that, to a point. If they would stick to fixing an actual problem instead of milking you I could understand. I have never been to a dealership or shop (ever) where they have correctly diagnosed or recommended work that was actually going to just fix the problem. Part of that is being able to warranty (example transmission - no reverse fix was broken snap ring, 200 in parts vs rebuilt transmission (Dodge you need a new transmission!) Ford (you need a new motor! Stuck valve in exhaust manifold) and "we'll rebuild your rearend for 1350" then while apart on hoist said 2850...part of it is either too busy or too stupid to care.

In the case of the dodge trannies, I learned how to switch overdrive units and fix solenoids, the Ford engine went 600000 more miles without being touched, the rearend I had them put back together and I drove home 400 miles pouring Lucas in every time it blew out & switched in 2 hours for a 650 dollar used unit, hundreds of little things along the way...I can see a time when I'll be old enough to not be at the side of the road in a snowstorm changing balljoints with a hand torch, but besides what it feels like to know you're being taken advantage of, it simply pays BETTER than expedite.

Everyone has a funnel out for our cash and if we let it, it would all be gone. The service manager is a commisioned salesperson and why can't we get a new car on ebay? Because the price is whatever we'll pay.

What was this thread about again?

(edit: greasytshirt not included I see all the free expert advice you post, if only there were more like you)

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with that, to a point. If they would stick to fixing an actual problem instead of milking you I could understand. I have never been to a dealership or shop (ever) where they have correctly diagnosed or recommended work that was actually going to just fix the problem. Part of that is being able to warranty (example transmission - no reverse fix was broken snap ring, 200 in parts vs rebuilt transmission (Dodge you need a new transmission!) Ford (you need a new motor! Stuck valve in exhaust manifold) and "we'll rebuild your rearend for 1350" then while apart on hoist said 2850...part of it is either too busy or too stupid to care.

In the case of the dodge trannies, I learned how to switch overdrive units and fix solenoids, the Ford engine went 600000 more miles without being touched, the rearend I had them put back together and I drove home 400 miles pouring Lucas in every time it blew out & switched in 2 hours for a 650 dollar used unit, hundreds of little things along the way...I can see a time when I'll be old enough to not be at the side of the road in a snowstorm changing balljoints with a hand torch, but besides what it feels like to know you're being taken advantage of, it simply pays BETTER than expedite.

Everyone has a funnel out for our cash and if we let it, it would all be gone. The service manager is a commisioned salesperson and why can't we get a new car on ebay? Because the price is whatever we'll pay.

What was this thread about again?

(edit: greasytshirt not included I see all the free expert advice you post, if only there were more like you)
I agree with you to a point as well.....gone are the days when a good wrench could listen to an engine with an old piece of broom stick...they simply just do as the computer tells them...aka Part changers

Reactions: TDave

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd be ok with that if they stuck to that only, but yes...the most reputable shop I know (they don't let me do my own safeties) replaced the crank sensor because the computer told them to...I argued with the owner until we were both very unhappy but paid, 10 miles later same problem...looked it up on internet, oxygen sensor stuck lean, caused the crank sensor (which it didn't have, uses distributor pickup gotta love dodges) code

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
funny Ontario story....My usual shop manager was real good keeping my old Ram van going....needed that safety BUT engine light had been on for months no known cause...
He looked me straight in the eye and said in a very clear voice....that light can NOT be on for the inspection....and he repeated that......so I took the van around the corner and pulled the fuse from instrument cluster and took it back....it passed! sweet

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Geez I wrote a book back on topic - greasytshirt, I don't know where to put a texa software :) but I've been shopping the rare DRB III for a while - you or anyone else know coverage for 2005 Sprinter on a Maxidas DS 708?

P.S. It's urgent I have to raid the wife's savings account while she's still sleeping

Last edited:
Reactions: Treadmill and TDave

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Too late for raiding the bank account, wife saw post :rolleyes: but I'd still like to know...sprinter is safely home with trans limp and Egr limp both

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Geez I wrote a book back on topic - greasytshirt, I don't know where to put a texa software :) but I've been shopping the rare DRB III for a while - you or anyone else know coverage for 2005 Sprinter on a Maxidas DS 708?
I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Bring me up to speed.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trying to communicate with a 2005 Sprinter (permanent limp mode transmission) i can't find a reasonably priced tool, the old DRB 3 chrysler scan tool goes for thousands when I see one...

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
in an abstract way it is......with trucks and vans being more computerized then ever.....the cost of the software to fix it is not free.....automakers don't give it away to the dealerships....dealerships are just like us....independent people, entrepreneurs like operations...they make hefty investments to be able to serve us and expect a return on the investment.....like a good wrench that has $50,000 or more invested in his tool box....the wrench wants his investment back as well as the dealer so the charge is piggybacked together looking expensive....would you feel better if the dealer charged you $50 and the wrench charged you $60 on separate bills?.....just saying
It took three years to get the boss to upgrade the diagnostic software for other brands that wander in here. Texa is excellent, it has helped every time I've attached it to something.
I have a TON of money tied up in tools. It took some convincing to get the keys and alarm sstem code to the building. If I want access to my $30k-$40k tool investment at three in the morning, I can either blow up management's phone, or you can give me the keys. They made the correct decision.

My goal with Texa is to get it to pay for itself. Not by simply charging a flat price by connecting it to everything that shows up, but by using it to make diagnosis more accurate. That should translate into more business by doing it right the first time.

Personally, I get a little nauseous when I have a comeback. I really, really hate that feeling. Look everyone! Greasy :censoredsign:ed up! Nope, I'm way too self-conscious to tolerate much of that. The last time I had a comeback was during a warranty claim that turned into a wild goose chase. I dug deep into some scr catalyst efficiency stuff and was several hours into it when they pulled me back out. The truck showed up on the hook the next day. Someone poured DEF into the cooling system, it had eaten through an injector cup, and the coolant leaking into the combustion chamber had poisoned the SCR catalyst. I could see that it wasn't working correctly but I hadn't figured out why. Granted, after some diasassembly, I was able to exclaim, triumphantly, that I KNEW it wasn't right, I KNEW it was going to come back.

Yeah.

A different truck came in today, weird SCR behavior, coolant stinking like DEF. I'm prepared this time.

Reactions: brokcanadian

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Trying to communicate with a 2005 Sprinter (permanent limp mode transmission) i can't find a reasonably priced tool, the old DRB 3 chrysler scan tool goes for thousands when I see one...
No Idea. The old Bosch KTS 200 laying around here would sort of work on parts of a sprinter, but it was pretty limited. No one here likes working on them, but the damn things just keep showing up.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Me either, but thank you for answering...the Autel Maxidas DS708 is a Chinese scan tool that supposedly works with just about any brand, but I can't get a firm answer in the coverage tables

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Transmission dipstick comes in use. My Sprinters have never left me stranded only when working on them. I've never broke down when running. Can't wait for new model to come out. I'm hoping they ride like Volvo's with the air ride Cadillac feel. The old ones will beat you up. I just did 760 miles the other day with stock seats and it was brutal so definitely plan to replace the front seats in the 04-06.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know I need one, not sure whether it matters to get the cheap or good dipstick. Good to know they can be reliable - as for seats, I drove it home and didn't want to get back in my Ram Van, it's down to the metal on the drivers side :D