Sprinter Survival Kit?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Through everyone sharing their experience, I've decided to purchase an Aerocell GMC/Chevy 6.0 gas cargo van. However, there is NOT ONE for sale in an area of 8 million people. They must be good!

Sprinters, there are thousands for sale of all types...I could have an 07 long and tall with 200K miles delivered to my door for 10,000 dollars.

In the meantime: if I got a used 06 or earlier Sprinter to meet carrier's length and height requirements;

What spare parts do I need to carry to not get stuck? I know NOTHING about sprinters, but put over a million miles on the ford 7.3's carrying a spare alternator, starter, vaccuum pump, and belt tensioner. Thoughts?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To start I would steer shy of the 07, new engine model year.

You could carry about the same except leave out the vacuum pump. Change the tensioner to a complete belt and pully kit from europarts.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thx, how about code reader? I know about DRB III since I have a Dodge Ram, anything less pricey that works good?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have one that works ok on my 2012, I think it was 89 bucks. I might use it twice a year.

The other thing I would find is a competent sprinter mechanic, they are few and far between.

Reactions: jaxonviking

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm the mechanic :D that's why I'm asking...I've never found a competent one, I can absorb everything I need to know (eventually) with the internet and waiting time, looking for what I need to have on me for that deserted highway at 3 am...EGR valve? Other common failures?

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have starter, alternator, EGR valve, turbo resonator, hose/pipe/clamp/silicone self fusing tape to fudge turbo hose failure, plenty 'o light bulbs, flasher relay, ambient temp pressure sensor, intake air temp sensor, brake light switch, engine oil filters, fuel filters, transmission filter & pan gasket, belt kit with belt/tensioner/idler pulleys, water pump, thermostat, and Autoenginuity software to poke and hope should something go awry down in the engine room.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Belts filters fuses tensioner fluids water pump alternator anything that's a surface part that can and will break or stop you dead in the middle of Nebraska at 3 am next to the rotten smell of cattle poop , oh yea air freshener too

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks! Good lists, looks like you guys have had the experience of a silly hard to get part stranding you for no good reason...I have looked at Autoenginuity also, was just not sure if it actually worked...you both mention water pumps, is it hard to get or reasonably doable roadside?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Never had to replace a water pump in a sprinter, probably 700 000 combined miles.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good to know, I'm only getting 100k out of them in my Dodge Ram van...everything has to come off the front of motor, it sucks

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You got my budget right on :D only was looking at Aerocell for mileage not "box" cubes, and canadian due to import hassles...my current delusion is an 05 Sprinter, 150000 miles for $4000 (comes with 2nd gear only and decorative brown spots)

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I did 2 water pumps in my 2004. Now I am at 760k miles. While it is a fairly simple change, I would not do it on the side of the road. Both my pumps' seals started leaking and it got progressively worse. It is not a catastrophic failure. You can drive it a week or two after it starts leaking.

Egr failure just puts you in limp mode. You can still drive it, but at reduced power until you get a chance to change it.

I carry with me an alternator, a fuel filter, a belt, a belt tensioner, 2 idler pulleys, and a set of front wheel bearing/seal kit.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Turtle

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know someone who just paid 4 grand to have there Chevy 6 cylinder transmission, rebuilt, another person 4 grand to replace the rear end on one. Newer vehicles are expensive to repair regardless of the badge.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Yup been almost 3 years and it was a 2007 sprinter it died with over 600k miles on it but it wouldn't stop speaking german....the guy I sold it to sold it to wayne rodd.

Reactions: xiggi

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks guys, I'm a little more reassured, sounds like pretty standard stuff I'm capable of fixing so far