Sprinter Survey

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
All Drivers with experience with Sprinters please let me have your input on the following:

1. What percentage of your loads are 3 pallets and how many are 2 pallets?

2. What percentage of loads exceed 60" in height?

I am fairly convinced height is a main issue; however, I was wondering about 3 versus 2 pallets. I realize that 3 would normally be better but for a team you sure can put in more creature comforts and at our age 60+ we're not much for the spartan lifestyle.

I can make a convertible style sleeper with the 2500 170" WB EXT that'll allow 150" for 3 pallets but it would be much easier to use 81" of floor space vice 31".

Big Al :confused:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
1. What percentage of your loads are 3 pallets
Zero% I have room for two skids, 108-inches.

and how many are 2 pallets?
40%, give or take.

2. What percentage of loads exceed 60" in height?
Maybe 10%

I am fairly convinced height is a main issue;...
That may or may not be carrier dependent, like, those who haul a particularly large percentage of automotive freight where racks and some skids can be 52-inches or taller, but for me at least, I rarely get anything taller than 48-inches.

As for two versus three skids, I dunno. Far more important for me was to have the ability to sleep while loaded more than the ability to haul an extra skid, especially since, for the most part, a three-skid load pays the same as a two-skid load (at most carriers). The question is, how many times do I not get that three-skid load, and instead get no load at all, versus getting a two-skid load instead of a three-skid load. I end up not getting any load at all due to me not being able to haul 3 skids perhaps 4 or 5 times a year. I'll trade that without a second thought for the ability to sleep three times on a Friday pickup for a Monday delivery.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Turtle,

How would you know if your carrier wasn't sending 3 skid load offers to other units in the area your are located? There is no logical reason to send you a 3 skid offer, because your capacity shows on their screen and you would show as a 2 skid unit.

I completely agree with the trade off for creature comforts.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I've hauled three pallets maybe three times in the past year. A couple times more I've had two pieces larger than the space for two pallets.

Only twice did I go over 60 inches high.

Why not sign on as a two pallet capacity then see if you can arrange things to expand to three pallets. You really have to live the arrangement to know what you are willing to live with. I can sleep in the space between the seats. You probably don't want to do that.

eb

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
And I'll add this. If you are not familiar with a particular style of vehicle, start out barebones minimum and grow into it. Try signing on with the minimum size and weight allowances then add capacity as you figure out how you like things arranged.

eb

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
My old lead sled,,ram van extended one ton,,never more then 2 skids, or 2000 lbs is all the boss will allow us. I'm happy, my ego don't care, I 'd just as soon carry one 10 pound box and get paid the same as the macho 2000 lbs. Makes sense to me,,give me the 10 pounders,, it all pays the same.:eek: If I could afford a sprinter payment I would have one, but the horror stories of maintenance is a no go for me. We need to hear more good stories about Sprinters, longevity, low maintenance, and so on .........I'm sorry this was a rabbit trail and I know this ticks off a lot of our wired serious drivers in here...............:D

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see this issue no different than having a hazmat, doing Canada, or other endorsements. The more loads one can be available for the more they will do over the course of the year.

That being said we have several people with the longest sprinter in our company. A good percentage of their loads are 3 or even 4 skids. They consistently get more miles than I do with my 128 inches of cargo space. On the height factor and the length both some times you will be dispatched on a load because it was called in as 3 skids or say 54 inches high. When you get there the skids can be stacked or the load isn't as tall as they said. You still got the load over another person because of your available size. I jumped in front of a cargo van the other day because it was called in as 54 inches. I got there it wasn't that tall but it was my load because I would have been able to haul the 54 inches.

I have seen many people use the entire length of their sprinter as a sleeping area but also as a cargo area. Some of them have been pretty sweet set ups.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have seen many people use the entire length of their sprinter as a sleeping area but also as a cargo area. Some of them have been pretty sweet set ups.[/QUOTE]

If you have the time I'd be very interested in this concept. I figure I'd have approx. 31" of free space to put my refrig. and portable A/C, supplies,etc. Then maybe use a swing down double bunk from the side. Just use motels for a couple of nights on a weekend load.

Big Al:)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i run 90 percent local and run 4 pallets alot
floor to overhead and sometime only have room to get my hand truck on

a sleeping area or sleeper would take up to room for freight
if i run out of town will get a hotel room

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
No idea on 3 vs. 2 .... I only have 108", same as Turtle ... so I never get 3 full-length pallets (unless they can be stacked) - I sometimes do get 3 or more smaller pallets/tubs/bins.

Again, on the tall freight (over 60") I dunno ... don't really track it - probably something on the order of 10% to 20% ......

I'm curious as to why you asked "over 60" rather than "over 48" tho ..... considering a low-roof Sprinter ?

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No idea on 3 vs. 2 .... I only have 108", same as Turtle ... so I never get 3 full-length pallets (unless they can be stacked) - I sometimes do get 3 or more smaller pallets/tubs/bins.

Again, on the tall freight (over 60") I dunno ... don't really track it - probably something on the order of 10% to 20% ......

I'm curious as to why you asked "over 60" rather than "over 48" tho ..... considering a low-roof Sprinter ?

I was considering going with a 3500 Sprinter and I would have to install a deck which would restrict height.
When we were withCon Way we decided to run a 2 pallet configuration with our E350 and I don't think (at least withCon Way) we missed many loads. Having a bunk and lots of storage was a real plus for a couple. I was asking because I wanted to see if perhaps the industry had changed.

Big Al :)

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Al, if the carrier you are considering does a lot of automotive freight you may appreciate the higher roof. Those plastic bins that have lightweight parts in them (like trim and upholstery) when they are double stacked are 64 inches tall I think. I don't haul too much auto but when I do I have run into these containers more than a few times.

Most of the time, I am glad for the high roof just because it puts a safe distance between the freight and my roof when you get a wildman on the forklift loading you.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I was considering going with a 3500 Sprinter and I would have to install a deck which would restrict height.
Ahhh ... got it .....

Personally, I wouldn't be inclined to do this myself ...... raising the center of gravity 11" would be significant I would think, although you would have six tires on the ground which would offset (but not eliminate) any increased instability to some degree. First place I was leased on to wanted me to do this (build a deck on a Sprinter 2500) - I declined.

As I said, I do get some loads over 60" - in fact, last one I hauled was. It has happened often enough that I wouldn't want to give up any height.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I always got told 48 x 48 x 48 - 1000 lbs.

Most are 40 x 48 and when you do automotive, the skids fit the parts (some are only 30x30 tubs others are the full 48 and very tall).

I have one customer that the tubs are 24x30x24 and each weighs 1200 lbs!:eek: