Sprinter poll

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I'm curious as to what is or might be the most desirable size. The new ones are available in 144", 170 & 170extended and the 158" is equal to the 170 via 14' cargo bed so if your were to replace your 158, which one would you go to.

I know size matters, but I'm curious as to if the extended is really necessary.

Monty

Expert Expediter
If I were replacing mine today, I would go with the 9900#, 3500 model in the 170" extended version.

Would have bought one to begin with, but April 2010 they were not offering the 9900# model.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i have had 3 sprinter's always biggest is the best
i have now 170 2011
170E was 2007
if you need a sprinter , send a pm , say what ya looking for
i have had all 3 so full that didn't have room for hand truck

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I have an extended on order for a month now. Fri I found out the projected production is the 3rd week of June. It would be Sept before I get.

For some reason, there aren't any extended available in the system. There is a 170 wb 2010 that I could get Mon at a pretty good savings. But if it won't work, then any savings is not worth it.

What I am really trying to figure out is that extra 15" worth the wait.
The 170 has 14' cargo bed.
The 170extended has 15'3" cargo bed.

Based on pallet size:
170 170ext
48*48 3 3
48*45 3 4
48*44 3 4

So, obviously the extended can fit an extra pallet, but does that extra weight put you over on GVWR considerably and how often are loads available for the 4 skid?

Thanks all!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have an extended on order for a month now. Fri I found out the projected production is the 3rd week of June. It would be Sept before I get.

For some reason, there aren't any extended available in the system. There is a 170 wb 2010 that I could get Mon at a pretty good savings. But if it won't work, then any savings is not worth it.

What I am really trying to figure out is that extra 15" worth the wait.
The 170 has 14' cargo bed.
The 170extended has 15'3" cargo bed.

Based on pallet size:
170 170ext
48*48 3 3
48*45 3 4
48*44 3 4

So, obviously the extended can fit an extra pallet, but does that extra weight put you over on GVWR considerably and how often are loads available for the 4 skid?

Thanks all!

If you don't need to work right now...I would wait...business is NOT where it should be...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I would turn my thoughts to the sleeper area. I think the sprinter is too narrow for most to sleep side to side? (correct me if I am wrong). If you run a bed lengthwise of the body, that extra 15" will come in handy. You could have 7ft of bed space and still have room for 2 48" pallets and some type of movable bulkhead.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would turn my thoughts to the sleeper area. I think the sprinter is too narrow for most to sleep side to side? (correct me if I am wrong).
A lot, for sure, but not most, probably. The Sprinter is 65 inches wide. If you are a man and are taller than 5' 9½", (69½") or a woman and are taller than 5' 4" (5' 3" in Canada, ha!), then you are literally above average. It's a 50-50 split above and below those averages, so the question becomes are more people above the average height of the North American male more or less likely to have a Sprinter? It could be that taller people are consciously or unconsciously drawn to a Sprinter because they can stand up in it. But the number of women in a Sprinter would certainly cancel that out.

I'm exactly average and I sleep on a 30" wide bunk, and sleep very comfortably with no issues despite being 4 inches taller than the width of the Sprinter. On the rare occasions I feel the need to "plank" while in the bunk, I'll have my head at one corner of the mattress and my feet at the diagonal corner, and there's plenty of room. If I were taller then I'd want a wider bunk in order to have that length from corner to corner.

The diagonal (D = √sqrt [x² + y²]) of a 65"x30" rectangle is 71.5 inches (71.5891). There's a pillow involved, and your head and feet aren't pointed to perfectly fit within those 71.5 inches, so you'll be giving up a few of those inches. But 30x65 seems to be about right for 5'10" or shorter.

For every inch taller, you need to go two inches wider on the bunk to add roughly one inch to the diagonal. A 32 inch wide bunk yields a 72.44998 diagonal, which is fine for someone 5' 11". If you're 6' 4" (76 inches) tall, tho, then you need a bunk that's 42 inches wide (77.388626 diagonal).

I say all this because all too often people who are taller than 65 inches immediately dismiss the possibility of sleeping on a crosswise bunk. It all depends on how wide you make it, and whether or not you have the room to make it as wide as necessary. No matter what, I can sleep while loaded, and do so without any effort on having to set up the bunk, same as in a truck. It's always there, always ready, loaded or not.

Oh, hey, here ya go. Here's a calculator that will quickly and easily calculate the area, perimeter and diagonal of any rectangle. Area, Perimeter and Diagonal of a Rectangle - Geometry Calculator