Sprinter PM results

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here we are at 553,000 miles now...

A small antifreeze leak popped up somewhere on the way home...If it is the water pump I;ll have the other idler pulley done "just because" and of course I'll have them check them rear brakes...
and the bushings on the rear shocks are shot (original)...so that' ll get done as well..

The AC I'll prolly do in January...

Have a dealer appointment this Monday...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually I am...

Glad the thing is still holding together for you.

I get to look at another one today - yippee!

325k on the clock, 3500 and wonder why the new engine and trans. The owner took care of it, it has a full warranty on the drive train and no rust.

Saw one the other day, there was rust on the windshield bottom and when you look at it closer, it was rusted out. I took it into the shop and got the vc off of it, there was a mess to deal with so I would think at least 5k worth of work there alone so I offered the owner $3k for the thing. I never seen someone leave a shop so fast. I pity the fool who would buy it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually I am...

Glad the thing is still holding together for you.

I get to look at another one today - yippee!

325k on the clock, 3500 and wonder why the new engine and trans. The owner took care of it, it has a full warranty on the drive train and no rust.

Saw one the other day, there was rust on the windshield bottom and when you look at it closer, it was rusted out. I took it into the shop and got the vc off of it, there was a mess to deal with so I would think at least 5k worth of work there alone so I offered the owner $3k for the thing. I never seen someone leave a shop so fast. I pity the fool who would buy it.

You seem to be looking at the 3500's? any specific reason?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes, I can make more money.

Really I'm looking at the capacity difference as something I can use for another reason, making it a multipurpose vehicle. I have to rid myself of some vehicles, most likely the pickup and van will go so I need to replace them with something that can pull a trailer and haul stuff within the vehicle.

I can't see much difference between the 2500 and 3500 other than the two extra tires and the wheel wells and both of those are not an issue for me but the extra 1000lb matters.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am thinking..I maybe wrong, but the 2 have the same drive train setup...that maybe one of the reasons for the failure problems of the drive train...that extra weight....some tend to really over load these...maybe another reason you are finding so much junk for sale as well....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think they don't have the same rear axle. The trans is the same but outside of that, the gearing in the rear should compensate for the added weight. I think the trans is the same one they used in the Vario which can haul up to 14k.

I agree about the overloading thing, I have seen a few with busted springs and even one with a bad shackle. A lot of these commercial vans (plumber/electrical repair) seem to be the most abused of the bunch. The DLH and FedEx seem to have the most body repairs.

I got the reason why the new engine and trans. The engine was alright but had a head gasket leak, the dealer where it was at didn't know much about it and quoted a high price which left about $2k difference between the repair and new engine so he went with the new engine. The trans was changed because of the mileage and they is new, not a rebuilt as is the engine. The Warranty is MB, not Dodge but it is covered by FL too. I'll know more about it later on. The price is flexible, so I may end up with it.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The natural tranny life is between 350/450k...most is due to seal failure within the clutch plates....one could do a pre-emptive PM and just have the seals changed before they do clutch damage....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Bob, that's a figment of your imagination. :p

Sprinters are made by Mercedes and they don't know anything about building diesel engines like the Amer'ans do. So to expect it to go beyond 150k is a lot to expect from those sloppy Germans, let alone make it to 300k :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here we are at 553,000 miles now...

A small antifreeze leak popped up somewhere on the way home...If it is the water pump I;ll have the other idler pulley done "just because" and of course I'll have them check them rear brakes...
and the bushings on the rear shocks are shot (original)...so that' ll get done as well..

The AC I'll prolly do in January...

Have a dealer appointment this Monday...

At the dealers...and yes it was the water pump...also am doing the second idler pulley it did have a grinding noise coming from it...Rear end fluid changed...also doing the rear shocks...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Were you losing coolant externally?

eb

Yep....but not all that much..caught it pretty quick....it was coming from the bottom relief hole in pump, not the top hole...

Done for to-day..UPS is delivering tomorrow, the Idler pulley and rear shocks...

After a walk around everything else appears to be in good shape...nothing loose and no other signs of any leaks or seeps....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hey if you think you may be keeping that german "machine", maybe buying another pulley unit and belt wouldn't be a bad idea.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey if you think you may be keeping that german "machine", maybe buying another pulley unit and belt wouldn't be a bad idea.

Naw...don't want to inventory a whack of stuff...I do have an extra belt however...the life I am getting out of these pulleys there is no real need to stock up....I mean 1/2 a million miles on both Idler pulleys and 320K on the tensioner...it'll be another 5 years before I need to replace them again....hopefully....I don't see a need to complicate the simple...

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Yep....but not all that much..caught it pretty quick....it was coming from the bottom relief hole in pump, not the top hole...

Done for to-day..UPS is delivering tomorrow, the Idler pulley and rear shocks...

After a walk around everything else appears to be in good shape...nothing loose and no other signs of any leaks or seeps....

Hope your not at the shop TJP had his van in, Unless of course you want a month off :eek::D