Sprinter PM results

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
And I just washed windows..AND your big screen tv...got me thinking now...paw prints would really obscure your vision...hehehehe:p

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
just had brakes done at 164,300
still not bad
sents i do alot of city driving

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i avg about 1,500 to 2,500 a day
on 6/16/10 had 18 stops for day 2,500
2 loads out that day

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
at a dealer hre in Birmingham Al...got real lucky yet again...just pulld into the J at E264 was eating a sandwich and POP...AC went out and battery light came on....shutdown and popped the hood...my new belt had split and wrapped around the fan..called AAA no problems at all with them....here I wait...they hooked me up tp shore power for the night...

Idler pulley broke....no other damage to anything else...about 350 out the door...now at 523,000 and counting...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
sure nice of the dealer to let me use their shore power..saved me some bucks for sure...

Going to do a pre-emptive strike and have the new altenator I bought from Turtle installed...I think I've got my moneys worth out of the old one....besides they'll have it apart anyhow and save me even more bucks....

And this is why we have a slush fund built up....it relieves the pain and worry...

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I do not own a Sprinter, but I did talk to one owner operator about maintenance since I have heard how expensive they are to repair. I was told by him that owning a Sprinter is a love ,hate relationship. He told me tyranny's were 5000 bucks and an engine 12,000 bucks to replace. He drives it because he gets more loads, has more personal room and so on. ***So my conclusion was that he has high repair bills, but his income with a Sprinter must far exceed the cost of operating a
Sprinter. I'm in a cargo van and my cost are way less then
Sprinters obviously, but I really like the Sprinters, but dollar wise at the moment , prevents me from getting one, but I would like one someday,,u know how some days work, yep someday...............:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here in Alabama the dealer quoted me 16,000 for an engine...in SD it was only 12,000....I'll tow mine home to get it fixed..

Parts are getting more available and they are not so expensive to repair...

an experienced CV driver can still make a good buck...

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
OVM,

Was that a new pulley from your last belt change? Next time I change my belt preventively, I plan to replace the tensioner and pulley too.

eb

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Here in Alabama the dealer quoted me 16,000 for an engine...in SD it was only 12,000....I'll tow mine home to get it fixed..

Parts are getting more available and they are not so expensive to repair...

an experienced CV driver can still make a good buck...

wow 16k in Alabama,,,mercy

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
so how long did ur tranny and engine last? Maybe there needs to be a rule of thumb on sprinters when to sell before the tranny and engine dies.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
My transmission went at 220K. I found a small town Dodge dealership with a mechanic willing to trackdown the parts to rebuild the transmission instead of replacing the whole unit. Some people criticized my decision to rebuild as risky, since a new transmission would have a full warranty. I figured that as fast as we burn through warranties is this business I would risk it. I have survived 20K since the rebuild and have three more rebuilds before reaching the threshold of $11,000 and a full warranty.

This trip to the shop along with the rest of my breakdowns in February and March have me seriously wondering whether the post-06 Sprinters are up to the task. A new transmission every two years?

eb

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Maybe i should get n the sprinter repair business,,looks like I would never get to sleep,,,lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My transmission went at 220K. I found a small town Dodge dealership with a mechanic willing to trackdown the parts to rebuild the transmission instead of replacing the whole unit. Some people criticized my decision to rebuild as risky, since a new transmission would have a full warranty. I figured that as fast as we burn through warranties is this business I would risk it. I have survived 20K since the rebuild and have three more rebuilds before reaching the threshold of $11,000 and a full warranty.

This trip to the shop along with the rest of my breakdowns in February and March have me seriously wondering whether the post-06 Sprinters are up to the task. A new transmission every two years?

eb

Yours appears to went out prematurely...tough luck

Heard of someone that paid 8G's for a new tranny...mine went at 459K and it cost me just under 4G complete. It was a rebuild but came with a 100,000K, 1 year full warranty, just like a new one...

Most techs agree...350-450K is the natural life of a tranny...

EB.. It was just a new belt from 22 days ago....I appeared to have erred tho...there is 2 idler pulleys BUT I only replaced the broken one....should have done both while I was in there..they are not expensive...29.95...I did have the altenator Turtle sold me put in as a pre-emptive move tho...

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe i should get n the sprinter repair business,,looks like I would never get to sleep,,,lol

Fords and GM's have the same little problems but no one ever says anything...because it is normal part of life..things wear out...that is why we sprinter owners don't always print everything ...cause the sprinter haters will all cough up the spew....know what I mean....we love our sprinters and take care of them....