Sprinter Killer

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Every van I looked at when looking for an expedite vehicle, left me wishing that Toyota built one, and knowing that I'd really miss the Corolla (my Corollerskate, lol) that I'd be giving up. I've owned a lot of vehicles, all Detroit steel, and often thought that the best explanation for the trouble they caused me was that in a previous life, I must have been a sleazy used car salesman, & now I was getting them all back! My only consolation was knowing that the Toyota was going to a good home, because I gave it to my daughter, who lives on a mountaintop in Pa, works late at night, & has two little girls to take most places - she needs a reliable car, and I know the Toyota was that car.
If I ever buy another van for expediting, that would be a serious contender. If I can get in that odd driver's door, of course - it looks like you have to climb on the tire first!

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Yes, they are speaking directly to HiAce owners in their current market and with US expediters too.

The Sprinter was not designed for commercial grade use! That's why it has such an underpowered engine. It was originally designed as a people carrier and an RV unit for the European market.

Retired RV folks could care less about speed (Weight to power ratios). Daimler could have cared less about the freight capabilities, but a big box in a US market with fickled buyers....yeah they tried to make it work. And it was adequate for plumbers, electricians, florists, small packages, etc., but not for 2000-3000lb loads.

Found out from hindsight about the engine idling issues. Why? They don't idle in Europe. Next, the power issue, so now they are bringing out a V-6 diesel. Imagine that!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"The Sprinter was not designed for commercial grade use! That's why it has such an underpowered engine. It was originally designed as a people carrier and an RV unit for the European market."

Hummmmm.... Well I got to tell you that it was designed to be a commerical vehicle for the world market right from the start, not just the european or US market. The secondary market you speak of - lesure market AKA RV or Caravan market was always there but not the focus of M-B when the sprinter was released to replace the older van, I think the 308/409. The Sprinter like the 308/409 also include cutaways and four door cab vesions and a combination of the two.

The funny thing about underpowered engine and the idle issues is that we have only had one engine choice and I was told that the reason for this was because of the lack of a servie network. the Engine was adapted to a less stricter emission market. But anyway the sprinter is the step below the Vario which is considered a heavy van - still our classes anything we have.

As for Mercedes building real commercial vehicles, they have been doing it longer than anyone else, starting in 1897 and seem to turn out a really good product for the last 109 years. They are like Toyota serious about their designs, products and market share. This is why I think that Toyota will be dominate in this market, not because the Sprinter is inferior. As negitive as I may sound, I would like Toyota come into the market and do their best to sell the s**t out of their product.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A look at the specs will confirm that this is no Sprinter-killer. From the Australian website, I've learned that this van has a gross weight of 7040 lbs, the choice of two 4-bangers (gas, 151 hp/177 lb/ft torque; diesel, 109hp/ 191 lb/ft torque), 346 cu.ft. of cargo volume with a 135" floor and 64" roof, and a max payload of 2750 to 2900 lbs depending on powertrain. It would be a great alternative to an E150 or Chevy/GMC 1500, but I don't see it as an alternative to a near-10000 GVW van like the 350's and 3500's out there.

Kinda stinks, 'cos I'm a Toyota fan myself....

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
From what I am hearing at engineering the van will be released in the U.S. market with all of the necessary modifications to make it compete directly with the Sprinter, Ford's 350 and GM's 3500 series.

Engine options, capacity options, handling options, etc....

I simply posted what is available on the other side of the globe. It is only an appetizer. The full course meal comes later.

All good things come to he who waits.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
OOPS, my mistake. Must have been a couple years off. Must have been thinking about the SpaceWagon or the WonderWagon.

Deville

Not a Member
Let me tell u guys somthing the Toyota vans from the 80's are some of the best vans around, they run awesome have REAL timing chains not timing belts good at the pump and have real good power, they RUN 4EVER I had two when I was doing courier work years ago and I loved them, one of them was a 4wd. I should have kept it. only downer was it would get hot as hell sitting on that motor, and the A/C's always broke in the summer and were mad expensive to replace back then, imagine now.