Sprinter Killer

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's definitely cool looking. What is it? What's it's website?

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 4958, 5447
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I am not at liberty to release all of the information at this time but I can provide periodic updates.

Satellite Navigation Audio System (including 4-in-Dash MP3 Compatible CD Changer & Radio)*

Map reading will fast become a forgotten art (or hassle) once you experience the technological guidance of ****** Genuine Satellite Navigation. With an easy to use touchscreen, the driver simply keys in the destination and Satellite Navigation directs the driver from A to B using choices of full screen, half screen or voice-only guidance. It is incredibly versatile, with a variety of functions you simply key in - including points of interest, parks, beaches, doctors, restaurants and more. Once you use Satellite Navigation, you'll wonder how you ever drove without it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This looks really cool but it looks a lot like the one I saw in Milford, the only thing is that the ride and comfort has a lot to be desired. The one I had a chance to get up close and personal with was a proto and it rode rather like the Izuzu cabover I rented, because you are almost sitting on the wheels.

Well it does look neat and the Nav system well I would love to see it in my truck. Thanks for posting it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Form: Looks cool and aerodynamic.

Function: Driver entry looks awkward. Must be a fair size doghouse between the seats.

Rex, how would you like to work on the engine? I know how mechanics love to work on cab-overs. But this! Where's the handle for the jack?

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>
>Rex, how would you like to work on the engine?
>

If you look closely, you'll see that my hands have been clean and my knuckles unscraped for nearly 3 years!!! Also, my ASE certifications expire next month (note revised sig. line).

Being a zero defect vehicle, it should never need to be worked on so your question is...............(NASTY pun coming, I couldn't help myself!!!).....................................................moot.

Rex

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Seeing as it's a Toyota, and looks alot like my old Previa van, you probly work on it the same way. tilt the derivers seat back, open the plate, and he engine is right under the seat.:-(

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
"Driver entry looks awkward"? It looks darn near impossible! :p
And Rex - if any of us could help ourselves, this site wouldn't be half as much fun! :+
Satnav aside, is it a 'Sprinter Killer'? Or a Sprinter Copycat?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Well I am happy to see that there are folks who do a little research from time to time.

Yes, it is a Toyota HiAce, but it is not the exact model that will be sold in here.

The expediter version will have the proper modifications completed before it is released here in the U.S.

Toyota is working with expedite companies to insure the modifications will fit the needs of the industry.

As always, they market overseas first to allow for any modifications before they bring a product to the marketplace where the real money is found! Of course, that is why they have become the world's largest manufacturer of vehicles.

PS. I have personally owned 7 Toyota vehicles and not one of them ever had to be serviced for a manufacturing defect. And i know Damlier-Chrysler, or the others, can match that fact.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am just curious about something that was pointed out to me about Toyota and Honda, if Toyota makes an expediter vehicle, which is bizarre anyway by them working with the people who don’t own the trucks, doesn’t anyone take in account that their entire truck line in Japan and else where has a much shorter life cycle than the vehicles that are designed by GM, Ford, D-C and others. taking Hino out of the equation, the average Toyota van does not see the work cycle my GMC sees.

I mean that I know that many of the trucks in Japan get recycled before 200KM on them and many of them end up as parts in Europe and Africa. Being a shorter life cycle may be a bad thing but for many of us who have vans and trucks that the engines are just broken in at 150K miles, 200KM is a worry. I know Toyota makes a great produt, but I haven't seen one that has over 400K miles on it.

I think that Toyota make an excellent product, even like their model AA.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I don't know about their vans, but my dad's '95 Toy Avalon just passed 350K miles, and he's been driving it into construction jobsites for years. It's held up well, replaced the tranny at 290,000 and that's been it.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Actually Toyota did not have the Previa in 1988, but we understand what you mean.

I traded in countless Toyota cars and trucks with over 400,000 on the speedo. Stop by the Voss Toyota Store in Beavercreek, OH and talk to Jim the Service manager. He owns a Tercel Wagon with 415,000 on the odometer.

Yes, the cycle may appear to be short, but the reason lies in the fact that Toyota holds its value; therefore, owners can trade more often because they are not prone to that American disease known as "negative equity." You can trade a two year old Toyota and not take a whipping on value, but the Big Three's Iron doesn't allow you to trade with positive equity until about year four. Toyota owners trade off for another Toyota (Highest Customer Loyalty In The Automotive Industry) and the trade in goes to a third world country. I have a missionary friend in Kenya that has such a Toyota and it is about to turn 375,000.

Of course that is why the Big Three could not compete in the leasing market, because their products have very little residual value. In 2000 I was leasing Toyota Camry's for $199.00/month. A Chevy Impala would lease for $349.00/month. The math always tells the truth.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>PS. They are working directly with the owners to provide the
>best fit for our market and needs.

I understand what you are saying but many of the vehices that build are not commerical class vehicles as say a sprinter. The short life cycle I speak of has nothing to do with resale value or post lease value but it is the life cycle of the product itself. I mean knowing that many vehicles are forced out of use at what we consider relitivly new in their home market makes a difference in the design of the vehicle.

I think that Toyota will come out as a leader but I am rather hesitent to purchase one for a long term commerical vehicle for at least three model years and only when they come up with a service network needed to keep it running.

The thing with the owners of the companies is still bizarre, they hire contractors, unless you mean Toyota has a team out there asking questions and looking at our vans. If the latter is the case I have a lot of suggestions that I made to the people at GM but they just don't get it.