Sprinter Curb weights and Payloads?

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
Actually the van is set up such that it can carry 4 48 x 48 pallets. It is a bit of a squeeze and the formost pallet has to be ****ed a bit hanging over the step to get in front of the fridge which is just behind the drivers seat.

The 48" table is held up by the cargo wall on one side and by it's fold down legs on the other. It folds up against the wall on top of the cargo wall if a 3 pallet load.

The bed is actually a massage table that folds in half and can be set up on the cargo wall or placed folded all the way to the front against the bulk head.

as long as I have room to move stuff forward or put on top of the load I can give the entire length of the van(metal floor strip on rear to metal floor strip behind seats) to cargo.

The tools were in the van for the ability to work on the conversion as I went along. This is done and I am finding that i can get home much more than I did in the straight truck so all but a basic set of tools will be the first part of the "Diet"

I never liked the particle board cargo wall tops but they were cheap, easy to work with, and solid enuough to take some weight, ie the massage table and the fold up table..def part II of the diet will be to a lighter material for that purpose.

Honda 2000I was the "Right" genset for reliabillity and fuel but even with a hard start capacitor it would not run the AC. After sweating a week in Dallas in july I finally had to break down and buy the companion generator. I can certainly shed one genset until it gets really hot again.

Also have a 6 gal aux tank to keep both gensets running for long periods...I will reduce that to a 2 gal tank witch will give me a full night easily without having to wake up to refill or freeze.

Next will be to back off on amount of clothing...the suitcase has some pretty serious weight and now that I'm getting home more often I just dont need to carry what I used to..

That will be the start of the diet and we'll see what effect that has on curb weight before I get into giving up too many creature comforts.

Turtle...Your curb weight amazes me. I thot with that battery bank, the heavy insulation, the larger fridge, the wooden shelving, the wooden desk...etc you would be near 7k

Your van was biggest inspiration to design of mine but I wanted to use entire van for cargo when loaded or pers space when sitting. i am too heavy no doubt...but I LOVE what I have come up with and have been quite comfy loaded or unloaded since the basics of the design have been realized.

By the by, insulating that thing your way..while very effective...was a pain in the a## and extremely messy...will use the spray kit that comes in Freon-like containers or have it done the next time around....<g>

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I am not mistaken turtles van starts out lighter than yours. The super ext like you have weigh a little more and I think 5 cyl. engine might weigh less. Turtle probably knows the weight difference in them off the showroom floor.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
haven't we discussed the sprinter specs enough to start an online encyclopedia? o yeah we did. it is called search, advanced search sprinter specs.:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of searches, Lawrence you really need to get it fixed. I have tried to search three letter word within a combination of phrases and those words get rejected.

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
My reality...

I am too heavy at 7400lbs....7000 is my top acceptable weight(would like less if poss)

but in my defense...

Last 28 loads...

1 was 2000lbs or more
3 were greater than 1500 but less than 2000
5 were greater than 1000 but less than 1500
19 were less than 1000

For me .....this risk factor is acceptable...even more so if I can reduce it which I belive I can....

Thank you all for your replies...The conversation has been very helpful

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
haven't we discussed the sprinter specs enough to start an online encyclopedia? o yeah we did. it is called search, advanced search sprinter specs.:D

as far as that goes..lets just eliminate the forums altogether and have one big search engine? Over the years it is the same old questions....

Ford vs GM

Straight or van

diesel or gas

which carrier is best

and so on...

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
as far as that goes..lets just eliminate the forums altogether and have one big search engine? Over the years it is the same old questions....

Ford vs GM

Straight or van

diesel or gas

which carrier is best

and so on...

:D i have all those links if you want them. kinda think you don't though. sometimes i am so anal.