Sprinter battery bank

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I apologize for creating another sprinter thread :D but after researching house batteries im more confused than when I started.

I was suprised to see a single battery on a diesel...but found out the same size can fit under the passenger seat.

Question: can I wire my 2 group 27 batteries to the positive main battery terminal like ive done with every other van?

ive seen warnings on Sprinter-source about everything from killing the alternator to blowing a fusible link and needing to replace the wiring harness...and the new alternator needs a computer reprogram? Huh?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
First, the phrase "...like I've done with every other van" will often get you into real trouble with a Sprinter. :D

If you replace your alternator with a 200 amp version, yes, you will need a new wiring harness.

It the alternator is the original, it's probably a 90 amp alternator. You should be able to use that with two Group 27 batteries as your bank with no problems, but when it comes time to replace it I'd recommend the 150 amp version. When the Sprinter is running it draws 30-60 amps from the alternator, depending on if you have the lights on, the A/C running with the fan on high, etc. You aren't likely to throw more than 25 amps to the battery bank, and it'll usually be between 10-20 amps, gradually reducing to 1 amp or less at the battery bank becomes charged.

You can tap into the cranking battery at the fuse block in front of the battery, at the terminal, or at the connection between them. You want to use at least 3 AWG size cable. The bigger the better, to minimize voltage drop. I use 2/0 AWG cable. Flex cable or welding cable is best, but you will need cable lugs made for flex cable (Panduit or Burndy are the lugs to get, with Burndy usually being cheaper). You will want a battery separator/combiner in the line so which will isolate the cranking battery from the bank when the key is off. A regular battery isolator (see "trouble" phrase above) won't work with a Sprinter. You will want to fuse the cable from the cranking battery to the house bank just before it connects to the house bank.

Here is my battery bank. It is two pairs of 6-volt Trojan aerial lift batteries, J305E-AC 305 Ah (combined 610 Ah).

IMG_0631small.jpg

The red cable at the bottom right, laying across the mostly-silver inverter, going to the large Class-T fuse block is the main coming from the alternator (cranking battery). Out the other end of the fuse block it goes to the main Positive busbar. Then there's that long connection back to the lower right that actually connects the alternator to the bank. The other big connection from the main Positive busbar goes to the master ON/OFF switch, and there's a connection coming out of the bottom of the switch that goes to that vertical positive busbar in the middle back, where I connect 12-volt loads (Espar, roof vent fan, etc.). The two brass blocks upper left is the shunt and connections for the battery monitor. The horizontal busbar upper right is the Negative busbar where the negative terminal from the battery (upper left terminal right in front of the brass shunt), the negative loads, and where the Ground connects (ground is connected to the cargo D-ring bolt along the wall behind the driver's seat). It's mostly hidden, but under the horizontal Negative busbar is another Class-T fuse where the inverter connects, and the other connection to the fuse is from a hidden 4th bolt on the vertical Positive busbar in the middle back.

Under the hood the cable from the cranking battery bus block goes to a battery separator, then another cable is the one you see in the picture in the lower left.

Under the seat there are also D+ connections, where there is no power unless the motor is running. So no power when the key is OFF or just in the START position - the motor must be running. A multimeter will find those very quickly. You can connect the NO relay to that, if you use that type of relay and mount it under the seat.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Turtle, nuff said :) that explains everything I need, in one place; I have a manual switch for bank, this time I might include a fuse or 2 :D

Nice setup you have btw, you've got some serious time and effort in. 90 amp alternator was just ridiculous on their part IMO, especially for what they used to charge for them

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
The 90 amp alternator works just fine. I used mine for a few years connected to a single deep cycle bunk battery until the pulley one-way bearing locked up in it and I replaced it with a 150 amp. If your 90 amp goes bad I would replace it with a 150 amp, but no point in throwing it out if it still works.

Btw, you can buy an original brand new (not rebuilt) Bosch alternator on amazon for about $190.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You could actually stick a 200 amp alternator in there without replacing the wiring harness, but it would just be a lot of wasted money. The alternator puts out the amount of amps the electrical system requires, not the amount that's stated as its amp rating. Incidentally, Bosch no longer manufactures the original 90 amp alternator for the Sprinter. You can still find them new, but Bosch quit making them 2 or 3 years ago. They now only make the 120, 150 and 200 amp alternators.

OEM alternators are (not surprisingly) designed for the vehicle being built, and not for the vehicles plus a lot of aftermarket accessories. And it's usually designed with a 20 amp overhead beyond the vehicle's max requirements for small accessories and so that it's not working at max effort all the time. So, the Sprinter's 90 amp alternator is designed for when you're driving at night with the high beams on and the A/C at full blast and the radio cranking - pretty much everything electrical that you can run at once. And that's about 60-70 amps, which is about 20% less than the ratings.

Alternator output ratings aren't quite as simple as the simple amp rating might indicate. Alternators are rated according to the standards set forth in the SO 8854:2015 and SAE J 56 documents. The term “alternator output” refers to two distinct, yet related, concepts. The first is the alternator output rating, which is the amount of current that a unit is capable of producing at a specific rotational speed (6,000 RPM of the alternator spindle), and it's the one you are most familiar with, as it's the one that is usually stated as the amperage rating. A 150A alternator has a “rated” output of 150A, which means that it is capable of providing 150A when the alternator shaft is rotating at 6,000 RPM. The other way in which "alternator output" gets used is simply to indicate the amount of amps the alternator is putting out under a given set of circumstances (the rotational speed of the input shaft, and the momentary demands of the electrical system, etc.).

The standards state that a range of other speeds at which an alternator needs to be tested and defines “idle output” and “maximum” output in addition to “rated output.” It's the "rated output" that we most often see. We rarely see what the "maximum" output might be, as that's almost never stamped on the alternator's label. It's always higher than the "rated output." An good alternator (like a Bosch) can usually put out 1.5 to 2 times it's rated output, but of course longer term output like that will fry the alternator.

But the "idle output" is there for us to see.

Somewhere on the label or stamped on the side of the alternator will be its actual rating. It's usually in the form of "IL / IRA VTV,” where IL is the low, or idle, amperage output, IR is the rated amperage output, and VT is the test voltage. It often looks like "90/150A 13.5V,” or some variant of the ordering. It's important to note that the "low or idle" rating doesn't necessarily mean engine idle, although it might. It depends on the standard you're using. It means the alternator is capable of putting out 90A at the “low” test speed, which is either 1,500 RPM (ISO 8854:2012) or “the idle speed of the engine,” (SAE J 56).

The last number is 13.5V, which is “VT” or the voltage at which the alternator was held at during the test. Since an alternator’s output can vary both up and down from 13.5V in real world situations, it’s actual output limits will vary from the idle and rated numbers.

Charging a battery bank with an alternator will not rob the vehicle of the amps it needs to operate, unless you really go out of your way to connect the battery bank incorrectly (like connecting it directly to the alternator, and then to the vehicle). The battery bank always takes what's left over that the vehicle doesn't need. If the vehicle needs 60 amps and the battery bank needs 30 amps, the alternator will push out enough amps for both, but it'll be running at near max output, which will wear the alternator out sooner. But one or two 100 Ah batteries (group 27 batteries are generally about 90 Ah) will not draw enough amps when recharging to put a strain on a 90 amp alternator for very long. A 250 Watt amp will, but not a passive battery bank. At most the battery bank will draw 30 amps, and only for a few minutes, and will quickly settle down to a bulk charge of 10-15 amps. Then as the bank becomes full the amps gradually drop off to 1-3 amps.

That's why adding one or two small batteries for a battery bank doesn't mean you need to immediately swap out your 90 amp alternator for a larger one. But, when it does come time to replace the alternator, going to a 120 or a 150 will mean less work for the new one over the long run.

Here's a picture of the Bosch 250 amp alternator. You can see it outputs 150 amp at high speed, 90 at idle, and puts those amperages out at 14 volts. But again, it'll only put those amps out when the system ask for that many amps. Most of the time it's putting far fewer amps into the system - only what the system requests of it.

Bosch 150.PNG

Another thing about alternators is, they don't just work at full rated output and then suddenly not work. It's not like a serpentine belt where it either works or it's broke. It's more like a shock absorber that wears out over time and eventually doesn't work at all. As alternators gets older, the more hours that's on them, they get weaker. Long before it just suddenly won't work, it'll be putting out 13.5V or less at times it would normally be putting out 14.2V, and instead of putting out 90 amps, say, at idle, it'll only be putting out 50 amps.

It's not something that's clearly evident to most people who are running a stock vehicle with minimal accessories, because there will still be enough amps to run the lights and stuff, but it's very evident to someone running high wattage accessories, or to someone using a battery bank that's monitored by a battery monitor, or even someone with something like a Scangauge that monitors the system's voltage. I noticed that my alternator was putting fewer amps into the battery bank than normal, and I noticed the system voltage according to the Scangauge was putting out 13.2V and 13.5V at times it would normally be putting out 13.8V and 14.2V. Time to change the alternator.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Informative as usual, Turtle. My Ford diesel alternators were rated at 3000 rpm, so I assumed the difference between gas and diesel was higher output at lower rpm (diesel)

My current Ram Van 130 amp has over 400,000 on it between 2 vans, and works correctly for accessories and battery charging. I have a laser printer, small unit but calculated a 50 amp load to the batteries...I usually disconnect switch and take from battery bank only for the few minutes of high draw to print paperwork, and recharge the batteries with no loads applied. Trouble free to date.
Now with the 1000 watt class A amplifier, JL sub and 160w Pioneer deck, Galaxy CB and Espar, I may have to rethink things...I planned to use battery bank to absorb spikes and provide entertainment when parked...got a 27 Icd flatscreen with no current home as well...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just an idea...if I put in a proper deep cycle charger, like a solar type but 12 volt, would that limit the alternator draw to the rating of the charger, Eg. 30 amp? Then I could wire all the extra goodies to the batteries and not care, they'd let me know if it was too much when the batteries discharged...keeping stock alternator and fuel mileage the same..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My Ford diesel alternators were rated at 3000 rpm, so I assumed the difference between gas and diesel was higher output at lower rpm (diesel)
The alternator RPM rating is the RPM of the spindle shaft, not the vehicle's engine. The stated output rating of an alternator as stamped (or printed) on the alternator itself is always at 6,000 RPM. It may be that 3,000 RPMs on the engine is where the alternator is at 6,000 RPMs. The only real difference between a gas alternator and a diesel alternator is the pulley diameter and the shaft length (sometimes). It has to do with horsepower and torque of the engine driving the alternator. But they are all rated the same way to the same ISO and SAE standards.

My current Ram Van 130 amp has over 400,000 on it between 2 vans, and works correctly for accessories and battery charging.
It's almost certainly not putting out the same voltage and amperage that it did when new, but it's obviously putting out enough of both so that it's still working. But the diodes wear out (or burn out and fail), the brushes wear out just like any other wear part (but gradually, think shock absorbers wearing out over time) and the contact rings get worn. Road grime, salt and engine oil and coolant speed up the wear. 400,000 miles is a really lot on an alternator, as most have a lifespan of 100,000 to 150,000 miles (or 8-10 years, whichever comes first).

I had the clutch pulley fail on mine once, so I changed it out then, but otherwise I change mine out when the charging voltage is weaker than it should be or the amps going back to the house bank is lower than normal. That ends up being about every 150,000 miles. I could probably let it go for another 50,000 to 75,000 miles and it would still work, though.

Trouble free to date.
Everything is trouble-free right up until it starts giving you trouble. It's like one guy I know with a Sprinter who used some high dollar AGM batteries for his house bank. They were trouble-free, worked great. He didn't believe me that he'd have to replace them within 2 years because they wouldn't have any capacity left. But they were trouble-free, right up until they were nothing but trouble. The problem was, AGM and wet cell batteries require difference charging voltages, and the alternator is always going to put out what the cranking battery and system voltage requires, which is less than that of AGM batteries. So, for 2 years he was chronically undercharging his battery bank. which results in sulfation and lowered capacity, until eventually the batteries were dead.

Now with the 1000 watt class A amplifier, JL sub and 160w Pioneer deck, Galaxy CB and Espar, I may have to rethink things...I planned to use battery bank to absorb spikes and provide entertainment when parked...got a 27 Icd flatscreen with no current home as well...
The Espar will only draw on average about an amp per hour, so that's not a lot of concern. You need to figure out the input amperage or each device and add it up. A 1000 Watt Class A amp will pull 125 amps or so. Great sound, but astonishingly inefficient.

Just an idea...if I put in a proper deep cycle charger, like a solar type but 12 volt, would that limit the alternator draw to the rating of the charger, Eg. 30 amp? Then I could wire all the extra goodies to the batteries and not care, they'd let me know if it was too much when the batteries discharged...keeping stock alternator and fuel mileage the same..
Well, first, you'll never be able to put enough solar panels on the roof of the van to get anywhere near 30 amps out of them. Second, a bigger alternator or one that's outputting at or near max output will give you a fuel mileage hit, but it's minimal. five percent at most. I wouldn't get too concerned about that.

There are alternatives to just raw charging from the alternator. One is the battery-to-battery chargers such as the marine battery chargers where you connect the charger to the starting battery and it piggybacks the current off that from the alternator. Another way, and it the ideal best way, is to use a Sterling Power alternator-to-battery charger, which connects directly to the alternator, and then from the charger you connect the house bank and the starting battery. It will charge each battery independently and you can program the correct voltage for each, allowing you to use AGMs for the house bank and a standard wet cell for the cranking battery. RLENT has that system installed, so if you want some detailed information about it, he's the one to contact.

As for the "...they'd let me know if it was too much when the batteries discharged..." is concerned, visualize a picture of a face palm here.

How to rapidly decrease the life of a battery (or, Batteries Don't Die, Their Owners Kill Them)

Undercharging:
consistently failing to fully recharge batteries leaves them with lead sulfate that hardens on their plates—they become sulfated—and gradually lose their ability to perform. Increased resistance when charging causes falsely elevated voltage readings, essentially fooling the battery charger, leading to further undercharging, in a downward spiral. Beyond a certain point, a sulfated battery cannot be returned to a healthy state, and you need a replacement. Keep your batteries charged, and equalize your wet cell batteries every six to eight weeks in temperate climates, and more frequently in the South and in the summer.

People run stuff off their batteries until lights dim, inverters scream or shut down, then crank the engine for 15 or 30 minutes and think they've recharged the battery. Newp. If you have a 100Ah battery and draw 50 amps out of it, you'll put back approximately 35% of its capacity after one hour charging at 20 amps (never charge a wet cell battery at more than 2 times its capacity). It'll take another 3 or 4 hours to get the battery up to 85% of capacity, and another 5-8 hours to finally push that final 15% back into the battery. In other words, it takes 6-14 hours to recharge a battery at 50%, more if it's less than 50% discharged. Even if just 20 amps were pulled from the 100Ah battery, it'll take 3-8 hours to fully recharge. Stop short of full and sulfation begins to occur.

Overcharging: especially fatal to Gel and AGM batteries, consistent overcharging (NOT equalization) boils the electrolyte out of the cells, and can even lead to thermal runaway, with the battery becoming hotter and hotter (and can catch on fire or explode - which is really bad when it happens on a boat).

Excessive deep discharge: don’t completely discharge a deep cycle battery if it can be avoided. The deeper the discharge the less life you will get from the battery. The ideal method is to charge and discharge the batteries through the middle range (50 percent to 85 percent) of their capacity and, if they are flooded batteries, to equalize them periodically. Leaving the battery in a fully-discharged state, for example during winter storage, causes it to become sulfated. When you discharge the batteries to the point where things stop working, you've long ago passed the point where you should have stopped discharging.

Excessive deep discharge and chronic undercharging, which is what most people do, is the surest way to just murder your batteries. They'll last 12-18 months instead of 5-8 years.

If you're serious about a house bank for use other than recharging a laptop, a light or two, Espar heater, roof vent fan, and a few small accessories, you need a battery monitor. A battery monitor keeps track of all amps in and all amps out, and thus the state of charge of the bank. It's literally a fuel gauge for the battery bank. It will let you know the amp draw at any given time, and more importantly let you know when you're discharged down to 50% and thus need to recharge. The alternative is to become Rainman, or just guess.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
:D I carry a spare alternator. Lots to consider on my well paid 150 mile run today, but with 150 miles deadhead...thanks for the links...yes I was planning on hooking the solar battery charger to the alternator or battery, solar panels will have to wait until I prove to myself I can pay attention to overhead clearance signs...

125 amps was a surprise. I wasn't sure if there was a kill-a-watt for 12v I've been relying on the inverter for a monitor, it alarms at 80% or high draw...its inline before the batteries...smoked one on the desulfation mode of my home battery charger tho...

I've experienced the hot battery thing on Ford starter batteries, body one was smelling like acid when I parked one day, sure enough it was too hot to touch so I got it down an tossed it down the driveway...

Now the 125 amp draw, I'm 41 so I have to be in the mood (occasional use), but it sounds like a larger alternator direct to the amp would be a must? Is that peak or constant?

Thanks again, Turtle!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thermal runaway on a battery is something special, especially when it happens in a lithium ion battery pack, like in a laptop. :D I use 18650 batteries for my LED flashlights. They're the same Li-Ion batteries that are in most laptop battery packs, and in the Tesla car. Have to be careful when charging them, especially if the ambient temperature is really hot.

One of the problems with a Class A amplifier is, in order for them to be so awesome, they are always about half on and thus draw just a snotload of power even when no music is playing. That's not that big a deal when they're running off an alternator that's always throwing amps at it, but it's a serious parasitic draw on a battery bank when amps are precious. Inverters are generally only about 90 percent efficient, as 10% is lost in the conversion process (something that draws 10 amps will actually draw 11 from the battery).

amps x volts = Watts, and so Watts / volts gets you the amps.

A 1000 Watt appliance divided by 12 volts gives you 83.33 amps. Then to compensate for the inverter loss you'd have to add 10% to that, so 83.33 + 8.33 = 91.67 amps. But that's via an inverter. An amplifier has it's own efficiency, and it's not nearly as good as an inverter. Amplifier Watts are output, not input. Most class A/B amplifiers are around 60% efficient and Class D around 80%. A Class A amp is less than 50% efficient. (Amplifiers are generally less efficient at low power and more efficient at full power so this number varies in actual use). But a 400 Watt amp that's 50% efficient will need 800 Watts . The easiest way to tell what an amplifier actually puts out is to look at its fuse. Look at a Class AB...

Power output = Fuse size x Voltage x Efficiency (it's a very general equation to get you in the ballpark)

If the fuse is 30 amps, then 30a x 12v x .6 = 216 Watts

If the amp's stated RMS output power was stated at 200-250 Watts, they didn't lie. If the packaging says 1000 Watts, they're lyin' like crazy.

But using the above equation, leave out the .6 efficiency, and you'll see how many Watts it takes to get those 216 Watts. 30 x 12 = 360 Watts.

If it's a 1000 Watt amp, for real, then 1000W / 12V = 83.33 amps. Times the .5 efficiency for a Class A amp (and it's probably closer to .4), you have 83.33 x .4 = 41.66, which is how many amps you lost, so add the 41.66 to the 83.33 and you have, almost as if by magic, 125 amps. As Chief Brody would say, "we're gonna need a bigger alt."

And if you're gonna want to run that off a battery bank, you're gonna need a battery bank the size of your Sprinter's entire cargo area.

High amp draws require true deep cycle batteries. Also, just like fuel mileage where the faster you go the worse your mileage, with batteries the higher amp draw you have the fewer amps are available to draw. Unlike a car, though, if you draw amps out of a battery really, really slowly, you will have far more Ah available than it stated on the battery. It's known as the Peukert Effect. If you have a 100 amp draw from a 200 amp hour battery bank, you won't be able to draw those 100 amps for an hour and then be at 50% depth of discharge (DoD). The Peukert Corrected Amp Draw is 162.18 instead of 100, which leaves 123.32 Ah in the battery bank instead of 200 to begin with. You'll run the battery dead in 1 hour 14 minutes.

On the other hand, a 2 amp draw will give you 280 Ah available from the battery bank, instead of 200. So it works both ways.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Amps been sitting in the bedroom for a year with the sub but I knew about RMS, can't remember even the brand...sounds like my setup would have worked about as well as the window ac I tried to run off an inverter and single battery

If I was 17 again I just would have done it and damn the consequences, maturity sucks...thanks for the formulas I see am alternator in my future

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Any high amp draws like a big amp, heater, air conditioner, sump pump, are not good for running off an inverter with batteries.

Are you looking to run that amp and speakers off the house bank while parked? Just say no.

In any case, the 1000W amp won't be putting out at full power all the time, so you can almost certainly get away with a 150 amp alternator, and not have to go with a 200 amp and then put in a new wiring harness (which is about $450 plus like 8 hours or more labor, depending on who does it).

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks...with the info you've provided no...and I plan on going with the 150 and no harness. I don't park much, if nothings lined up I head home or to a better area. I'm just at the age where if I haven't done it yet I feel like I never will, stereo's on the list...

Reactions: Turtle

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With my Transit I went with a ProMariner 12V to 12V 4 step battery charger. My Transit came with two 12V AGM starting batteries and a 230 amp alternator. The ProMariner charges two Fullriver 6 volt batteries rated at 224 AH.

Attachments

• charger.JPG
    charger.JPG
    681.8 KB · Views: 20

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nice, especially Alt amps...trying to work with what I've got until I see a real paycheck again...

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On my Transit I just used a simple cheap battery isolator with a toggle switch. Cable from starting battery to isolator, then cable from isolator to house battery bank.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1458680340.646394.jpg

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My two Fullriver batteries were expensive so I want to charge them properly. This charger charges fast, is isolated from the starting batteries, has a de-sulphating mode and other really good stuff. My last two vans I charged the house batteries with a Hellroaring isolator it worked but I believe I should get longer life from my batteries using the ProMariner charger.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I need to be able to do 3200 in the sprinter for a Reg customer, so i'll have to weigh all these suggestions carefully...literally :) diet time for me

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My two Fullriver batteries were expensive so I want to charge them properly. This charger charges fast, is isolated from the starting batteries, has a de-sulphating mode and other really good stuff. My last two vans I charged the house batteries with a Hellroaring isolator it worked but I believe I should get longer life from my batteries using the ProMariner charger.
That's a good charger, and the batteries are top of the line, right up there with Concord Lifeline. One thing about AGM batteries is you aren't limited to the .2C (20% capacity) charge rate as for wet cell batteries, because AGMs have very low internal resistance (which is one reason the recharge so quickly). You can actually charge them at 4xC (4 times the battery bank capacity), not that anybody has battery charging cables thick enough to handle that much current, though.

A 3-stage charger (bulk, absorption, float) is always preferable to just raw charging via an alternator and isolator. It will ensure the house batteries will be properly charged, same as if you were using a 3-stage charger at home.

Moot, do please be careful about the equalizing charge, or as ProMariner calls it, "stage 4." AGM batteries generally do not require equalizing (or desulfation). You can do it with AGM batteries, but since you cannot measure the specific gravity of each cell, you have to be knowledgeable as to what you are doing. The construction of AGM and Gel batteries all but eliminates any stratification (sulfation), and most all manufacturers (including Fullriver) do not recommend it. Some manufacturers (notably, mainly Concorde) list a procedure, but temperature, voltage and time are critical to avoid battery damage.

As Fullriver and most manufacturers note, if the battery is properly charged, an equalizing charge is not needed.

To apply an equalizing charge to a 12-volt AGM battery (not a spiral AGM like an Optima, can't equalize those at all), bring the battery to fully charged as normal, then apply the equalizing charge for 8 hours at 15.5 volts at 25° C (77° F). When applying an equalizing charge, you do want that to be at .2C or 20% of the bank's capacity or less (not a problem with a 40 amp charger and a 224Ah bank).

While it's not a bad idea to do an equalizing charge twice a year or even once a month for wet cell batteries, for AGM batteries (especially those who have been regularly charged with a proper 3-stage charger and thus probably doesn't need it at all) it really should only be done when the battery is showing symptoms of capacity loss or from inadvertent deep discharges. Certainly no more often than once a year as a conditioning charge. But again, remember temperature is critical, as is time. If it's 10 degrees more or less than 77° F the voltage or time will have to be adjusted. There are tables on the Internet that list the variances for temperature.

If your charger has temperature compensation, excellent. If not and and you can add it, I would recommend it. Not just for equalizing, but for normal charging. The temperature can greatly affect the voltage needed for charging. The hotter is it, the less voltage required.