Sprinter auxiliary battery hookup

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi,
Does anyone know how to hook up an inverter to the optional auxiliary battery system in a 2011 Sprinter? Do I hook up the wires to the auxiliary battery directly or is there a terminal under the seat? I'm picking up my new Sprinter on Tuesday.

Thanks,
Marty

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't hook the inverter up to the auxiliary battery. I would get a spare battery or even a few and run the inverter off of them, you don't want to stress a battery you may need to start the Sprinter. If you do run it off of the battery you should be hooking it up directly to the battery according to the installation kits I have seen.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

paullud

Veteran Expediter
auxiliary battery = spare battery.
It's isolated.

How do they isolate them? I have a Ford diesel and they are connected, at least I thought they were when I looked at the wiring.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
How do they isolate them?
Typically (OEM at least) they are connected with a relay - a large electro-magnetic switch, very similar to the "starter solenoid" used on (old) Fords.

When charging voltage is present, the relay ties the aux battery to the starting bat and alternator for charging. Once the vehicle is shutoff, the relay opens, preventing discharge from the starting battery while the auxiliary battery is used.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
whs.gif

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How do they isolate them? I have a Ford diesel and they are connected, at least I thought they were when I looked at the wiring.

They are connected in your truck, so you have 2 cranking batteries, not an auxillary.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Typically (OEM at least) they are connected with a relay - a large electro-magnetic switch, very similar to the "starter solenoid" used on (old) Fords.

When charging voltage is present, the relay ties the aux battery to the starting bat and alternator for charging. Once the vehicle is shutoff, the relay opens, preventing discharge from the starting battery while the auxiliary battery is used.

OK thanks, good deal now I just have to figure out which one is the auxiliary battery and hope I lucked into hooking my inverter wires up so I can use it.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK thanks, good deal now I just have to figure out which one is the auxiliary battery and hope I lucked into hooking my inverter wires up so I can use it.

Did you buy the van new? If you did and haven't added an isolater, then they're both cranking batteries tied together. If you bought it used, someone may have modified it. I'd recommend leaving both batteries tied together. When it's cold you want that cranking power. My van had one battery under the hood and one on the frame, when they went to the 6.0 they put them both on the frame. I hooked my inverter to the one under the hood and just made sure to start it often for some charge. An auxiliary is a real good idea, no worries.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Did you buy the van new? If you did and haven't added an isolater, then they're both cranking batteries tied together. If you bought it used, someone may have modified it. I'd recommend leaving both batteries tied together. When it's cold you want that cranking power. My van had one battery under the hood and one on the frame, when they went to the 6.0 they put them both on the frame. I hooked my inverter to the one under the hood and just made sure to start it often for some charge. An auxiliary is a real good idea, no worries.

So just because there are 2 batteries it doesn't mean that 1 is an auxiliary? Is the auxiliary battery the OP talking about just specific to Sprinters then?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Did you buy the van new? If you did and haven't added an isolater, then they're both cranking batteries tied together.
Star,

Probably not the case if it's a Sprinter - the only way they came from the factory with two batts is with one as an aux, separated with a relay.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So just because there are 2 batteries it doesn't mean that 1 is an auxiliary? Is the auxiliary battery the OP talking about just specific to Sprinters then?

That's what I'm sayin'. It may be a factory option with a Sprinter, I don't know.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Well, I know.

Sprinters come with ONE battery, (unless you order it differently), that battery, (main) is under your feet in the drivers compartment.

I have a Midway Conversion sleeper unit, THEY installed the additional battery under the hood. It is indeed isolated via an electrical hook up as described above.

The power to my 1800 watt inverter is wired directly to this under the hood battery, as is the exhaust fan, and sleeper lighting.

Midway, as a certified rebuilder, did not alter anything of the original configuration, instead bringing all their power requirements with them, in the form of that aux battery under the hood.