Sprinter 3500

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Just to make sure i understand this, if i bought a sprinter 3500 series with a gvw of 11,030 lbs would i have to log, scale, and follow HOS rules?

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
yes, but sometimes you won't have to scale. you will also have to come up with a way to load pallets if you will be hauling that kind of freight--the wheel wells are narrower than the larger pallets.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yup..going to have to raise the floor 12" or carry 4 skids around to put the first 1 or 2 skids on to clear the wells...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hahaha, well it doesnt sound like a very good idea to use one of these type sprinters for expediting

I've seen some nicely built raised floors, but you lose 12" at least in height...and theres storage room underneath. BUT the added weight of the false floor takes away from the gains by having the dual wheels in the first place....and the MPG lose is about 4 mpg...
I wouldn't buy one! Not for this biz...

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Thanks Ontario, Just happened to see one ad at Bob CaldwelLs dealership and it was layed out as an expediter van. It was a 2007 model. Maybe these reasons are why its still sitting there

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's a place that modifies the wheel arches to just fit a skid. I think the name is Harris Truck and I think they are in Pennsylvania. I'm still partial to the Aerocell like in the thread on David's new truck.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i talked with doug bowerstock, a salesman there, one day. he said they went to the 3500 due to not making the 2000# min for a van. guess they didn't think about the wheelwells.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's a place that modifies the wheel arches to just fit a skid. I think the name is Harris Truck and I think they are in Pennsylvania. I'm still partial to the Aerocell like in the thread on David's new truck.

I heard about that...and since we'd run out a warranty so quick anyways, would be the way to go on that model 3500..

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
There's a place that modifies the wheel arches to just fit a skid. I think the name is Harris Truck and I think they are in Pennsylvania.
As I understood it, this can only be done on '06's and earlier - not enough clearance on '07's and later ...

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i had a 3500 in the driveway recently looked uder the wheels and those tiny 195/70-15 tires were dwarfed by the wheel arches. prolly not a bad idea if you only go to 9500 lbs. guess we are still waiting for the first one to appear in that config. still at 4mpg less, why?

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
I was looking at some other forums, (forgive me) but it appears in Europe, there is a super single for the 3500 Sprinter. I can't help but wander why they don't have these options here in the states?

That being said if it was an optional wheel here in the great US of A, with a lil body work there would be no need for a sub-floor in the 3500 sprinter thus = a pretty sweet outfit for expediting.

Agree? :)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
harris truck is in newport news va
wheel wells are 38 inch's in 2011
still not 51 " you need

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I seen a single wheel conversion 3500 in Olive branch last week...this too me would be cheating and make carrying a heavy weight illegal...I think DOT would have a blast with this...