Sprinter 2500 vs 3500

ecs_ocean

Seasoned Expediter
If the gvwr is the same then the added weight of the 3500 would reduce cargo capacity. Thanks for walking me through. The search is on for a low mileage 06 2500 140" wheelbase high top!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Our 2006 3500 GVW is 9,990 lbs. leaving us with 3,990 load capacity as our unloaded weight is 6,000 lbs. The raised floor does not seem to affect stability maybe because of the large anti-sway bars which I believe were standard on our model. For us, we wouldn't look at anything but the longest model available in any year.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We do get a few loads over 48" wide, less than 10% of the time so your appraisal is probably right on, the taller loads we cannot take are made up by the overwidth loads we easily can take.

ecs_ocean

Seasoned Expediter
Our 2006 3500 GVW is 9,990 lbs. leaving us with 3,990 load capacity as our unloaded weight is 6,000 lbs. The raised floor does not seem to affect stability maybe because of the large anti-sway bars which I believe were standard on our model. For us, we wouldn't look at anything but the longest model available in any year.

Is your sprinter made by Dodge? All the spec sheets I have seen for the dodge 3500 don't change the gvwr until 2007. Also- what mpg are you getting?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Yes, our Sprinter is a Dodge 3500. As far as I know every 3500 in 2006 had a 9,990 lbs. GVW. If it was a cab/chassis, the GVW for 2006 was 10,200 lbs. So I would stick with the van style to avoid logging.

Godwindaniel

Seasoned Expediter
The 3500 series Sprinter will give you a more stable ride, better traction, higher payload capacity. You will however be sacrificing fuel economy....

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
If you don't do anything about the wheel wells, yes. However, we built a raised platform so we can carry 3 skids just as easily as the 2500 can, easier in fact. We can actually take 60" wide skids. I just cut my wheel wells down 7" so I can take 7" higher loads than I could without the cutdown (No, there is no tire interference). So now we can take 64" high and 60" wide skids . . . up to 3 at a time. Our beds and gear also hide away in the walls when we don't need them, giving our interior a professional appearance.

ecs_ocean

Seasoned Expediter
If you don't do anything about the wheel wells, yes. However, we built a raised platform so we can carry 3 skids just as easily as the 2500 can, easier in fact. We can actually take 60" wide skids. I just cut my wheel wells down 7" so I can take 7" higher loads than I could without the cutdown (No, there is no tire interference). So now we can take 64" high and 60" wide skids . . . up to 3 at a time. Our beds and gear also hide away in the walls when we don't need them, giving our interior a professional appearance.

What year is your sprinter? Do you have any pictures?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Well I'm a bit late with the pictures. Our floor changeout turned into a complete vehicle do-over, which isn't quite done yet. However, the floor is done. We built it up using 2 x 6's and plywood, filling the voids with 5" of foam insulation. Its very solid and added 180 lbs. to the empty weight, but is a few pounds less than what we had previously. We have 64"+ of cargo height available along with 58" of width. We also put in a movable bulkhead which allows us to haul 1, 2, or 3 skids but then move it back to gain living space when we don't have a full load (or if we are empty). It move easily. Then insulation is not done yet but we had to run some to pay the bills. Should be done in a couple of weeks when the weather warms up at home.

Monty

Expert Expediter
First of all. lets clear something up, once and for all.

The 3500 VAN comes in two configurations, both the 11,030 and the 9900 pound weight.

Second, taking the van to people that know what they are doing, (such as Devers Truck in Trotwood, Ohio), can allow for a 4" rasied floor, made of 1" aluminium I-bar, and will open the space between the wheel well close to 60".

Third, there is NO difference in Sprinter vans, no matter if they say Dodge, Freightliner or Mercedes, it is ONE vehicle, with different grills, no other difference.

I was hot on the heals for one at Stoop's in Dayton when my lovely wife said she would rather travel in the F-150 with the 5th wheeler behind when she retires later this year. Traveling in a Sprinter van was NOT her idea of retirement!

With the 170" extended, one could still place a solid bulkhead and allow for a 30" bunk behind the seats, and install cabinetry in there. (Which was my original plan.)

If there was any issue with 48x40 pallets, the front two can go in long ways, and the last one turn sideways.

But my Sprinter brings more revenue because of height, than any other factor. A 3500 would add to that by increased weight.

My 2003, 3500, could carry almost 3900 pounds.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Third, there is NO difference in Sprinter vans, no matter if they say Dodge, Freightliner or Mercedes, it is ONE vehicle, with different grills, no other difference.
Au contraire, mon frère. They each have different logos on the steering wheel and on the wheels, and on the read door of the vehicle. In addition, the cover of the Owner's Manual is very different with each model. :D

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Let us see if I can do this right . . . I haven't posted pictures before. If this comes out, it is how we started modifying our 3500 Sprinter wheelwells and storage walls.

Attachments

• Sprinter Side Frame.jpg
    Sprinter Side Frame.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 107
  • Sprinter Floor Frame and Sides.jpg
    Sprinter Floor Frame and Sides.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Sprinter Insulated Floor.jpg
    Sprinter Insulated Floor.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 91