Spring Cleaning

ihamner

Expert Expediter
I was just reading an article in a magazine about Spring cleaning and it made me take a look around the sleeper to see what sort of Spring cleaning needs to be done in our "home away from home." One of the suggestions in the article was to clean out the fridge/freezer and get rid of junk then clean the fridge/freezer with some soapy water.

The inside of the windows in our sleeper don't get much of a cleaning during the winter months either so it's time to Spring clean the windows and open up for some fresh air.

Okay, I'll think about it all NEXT weekend. :) We are sitting in Kentucky and it is sooooo cold! It is back to sweat suits and rain gear. Hey, if I clean out the freezer I can probably make a pot of home made soup. That works!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
India you read my mind! I was thinking the same that it is time to do a spring cleaning, clean out all the cupboards and all of the little cubby holes I have something stuffed in, clean off the window sills, clean the curtain between the cab and the sleeper, wipe down all the walls, and also wipe down the ceilings. When I clean the walls and the ceilings I use a spray ArmorAll then I use a dry rag to really buff them and this puts a nice clean shine on everything. I also was wanting to clean out all the vents. All of the above though was a want to as this weekend we are where it is sleeting, raining and spitting snow. I guess I will save all this fun for another weekend.
I have also changed the bedspread on the bed, sheets and also curtains for the windows. In the winter I really like the darker colors for warmth but in the summer I like lighter colors. Doing this it always puts me in a spring mood to get everything clean and fresh smelling. I just love this time of year.

Last edited:

ihamner

Expert Expediter
So, Linder, do you have curtains other than the darkening curtains in your sleeper? Can you get the sleeper dark enough to sleep when Bob is driving? I know we have seen your truck before but I don't remember noticing curtains.

How about the rest of you? Do you use real curtains instead of the darkening curtains in your sleeper? I would love to put up real curtains and make it look more like home.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have curtains I made in the windows of the truck and use the spring loaded curtain rods short ones that I found at Wal-Mart. I also use the spring loaded curtain rods in the freezer to help hold the food in place. When we are on a team run I will put the window shade on over the windows. Both of us like it really dark and sleep better that way.
Do you have any ideas on an easier way to clean the curtain between the sleeper and the cab? I fight with that every time I clean them wishing I had a hard surface against the back of the curtain to hold them against while scrubbing on them.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
India you read my mind! I was thinking the same that it is time to do a spring cleaning, clean out all the cupboards and all of the little cubby holes I have something stuffed in, clean off the window sills, clean the curtain between the cab and the sleeper, wipe down all the walls, and also wipe down the ceilings. When I clean the walls and the ceilings I use a spray ArmorAll then I use a dry rag to really buff them and this puts a nice clean shine on everything. I also was wanting to clean out all the vents. All of the above though was a want to as this weekend we are where it is sleeting, raining and spitting snow. I guess I will save all this fun for another weekend.
I have also changed the bedspread on the bed, sheets and also curtains for the windows. In the winter I really like the darker colors for warmth but in the summer I like lighter colors. Doing this it always puts me in a spring mood to get everything clean and fresh smelling. I just love this time of year.

ah ha!!!! I finally see the font everyone complains about Linda!!!! But in your next post, it is normal!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Isn't it irritating to want to get things cleaned, then the rain/sleet/snow hits again? :mad: We've been running in nasty weather for a week and our truck is driving me crazy because it's filthy!
Hey ladies....lets get together and do a "sunshine" dance! :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What is it about daffodils & blooming trees that makes us think about cleaning something?!(I'd rather be digging in the garden, myself):D
Linder, your mention of Armor All reminded me of a great line of cleaning products, all non toxic, (important when you have a pet in the truck), free of odors (nice when you are stuck in the truck), and also cost effective. They're made by The Clean Team, and the basic two are Blue Juice (light duty, like Windex), and Red Juice (heavy duty, like 409). They come in concentrate form, to save $, and I've used them both - they work. They were created by Jeff Campbell's Clean Team, (an elite cleaning service based in San Francisco), when the cleaning crews complained about harsh chemicals, and noxious fumes. The Clean Team has a nice lineup of good products, (his team designed the mop that was copied & popularized by Swiffer, and I loved mine, back when I had floors to mop) and also, lots of great hints on how to clean faster and easier. I'm sure there's a website, though I found them through their books ( on everyday cleaning, spring cleaning, clutter control, and keeping new things like new) - check them out!:)
PS For easy curtains around the ****pit, just buy a pr of panel drapes in the size & thickness you want, and with a few pcs of Velcro, they will hang (sideways from their intended length vs width) ) from both seatbelt anchors, to the center of the dash - easy to put up & take down. You don't need to store them, just let them hang behind the seats, from a pc of Velcro on the anchor. I put small pcs of Velcro on the anchors, & on the visor post on each side, with just one small pc in the center of the roofline. They're inexpensive, easy, and I don't feel so claustrophobic.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
pjjjjj
You are right and I have been caught! I am going to have to spell check in another program that does not change my font. I will admit that font is terrible.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not really curtains, but what I have liked the best is in our ICT sleepers. They are 3 way blinds. You can put them up all the way, pull the bottom down and it is like a light filtering blind, and all the way down they are dark.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Last time we were home, I bought some of the darkest limo window tint at Walmart to put on our sleeper windows. It's static tint so you don't have to worry about glue on the windows. We've had it on for about 2 weeks now, and I love it! Granted, the sleeper is now darker than it was, but it's also cooler. At night, with the lights on, we still have to pull the blinds for privacy, but during the day, I can have the blinds up and not feel like everyone walking by is looking in. :D

Oh yeah, I did a little of that spring cleaning today....our truck is broke (power steering hose) and we are waiting for repair. It's amazing how dirty the walls get in the sleeper!

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Borrow away :) By the way, the roll of tint we bought was less than 20.00 and covered the windows with some to spare. We figured if it didn't work (glad it did though) we weren't out much money. Oh yeah, we found it in the automotive section.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
If it's not dark enough for you Pelicn you can always double layer it. Of course I'm sure you already knew that.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Ark, that's a great idea and no I hadn't thought of that :eek: The tint I got is very dark, it looks black from the outside

Falconlady13

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just the thought of "Spring" without the cold and snow makes me happy.
Has anyone came up with a sure-fire way of cleaning overhead without killing themselves?
I use a swiffer (with long handle) to keep it dusted but sure would like to do some good old-fashioned scrubbing up there.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Falconlady, it's good to see you posting, again. In reply to your question, I think the Clean Team's 'Sh mop' is what you need. It's way better than it's imitator Swiffer, because it was designed by the folks who actually clean floors. And walls, and ceilings, too, and all with this mop. The handle pivots to get into corners, lies nearly flat to get under almost anything, has an extension for high places, and my favorite feature: the fitted terrycloth covers that go over the scrubby base. You put the cleaning solution in a small bowl, dunk a cover, wring it out to the desired wetness, and fit it over the base, like sheets on your bed. When one is dirty, toss it in the laundry, and grab another. (The Sh mop comes with 3) No need for a bucket, and when you're done, you can even pour any leftover solution back in it's original bottle, because it's still clean - no waste.
There aren't many products I'd shill for, but The Clean Team is a real find, IMO. Whether you like cleaning, or hate it, their well designed tools make it go faster & easier, while doing it right.
Jeff Campbell (founder) has written several books that are all about how to get through the cleaning chores with the least amount of time, energy, & cost. And although he sells the products designed & used by his cleaning teams, he often tells how to make a substitute for them, in case you want something nontoxic but effective, and haven't got any of his stuff around.
Probably the most appropriate of his books, for those of us who live in such small spaces, is "Clutter Control", and I have to get another copy myself - the woman I loaned it to never gave it back.:mad:

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Do you have any ideas on an easier way to clean the curtain between the sleeper and the cab? I fight with that every time I clean them wishing I had a hard surface against the back of the curtain to hold them against while scrubbing on them.

I hate the heavy curtains between the cab and the sleeper so I replaced them with 2 twin sheet sewn together and put them on a shower curtain rod and when they need to be cleaned just throw them in the washer.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have visions of the shower curtain falling on my head while driving. Did you mount the shower curtain rod so that when the cab flexs the curtain can not fall on your head? I think this is a great idea and would look better and be easier to clean then the vinyl curtains we have between the sleeper and the cab. I have also talked to a driver that put up a shower curtain rod right in front of the bed that can be shut so that while one is sleeping the other can open the front set of curtains, get in the refrigerator or cupboards and not let the light bother the sleeping person. They did a really nice job and when pulled back is totally out of the way.
It would be fun at the Expo to have everyone that wanted show their innovative ideas for making their sleeper more effcient. We have all seen the fancy sleepers that look really great but stillleave those sleepers wondering if it is all just for show and how functional is it?