Spreadsheet

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I keep a spreadsheet entry on every load we pickup and the pay. On my spreadsheet I keep track of the date picked up, what type of load, pickup city and delivery, dhpl, dhpu, and run miles with total pay. If I get an advance on the run I also keep track of that. After we get our settlement sheet I check that off of my entry for that load. I have found a few discrepancies where we were offered a pre assignment pay and then the pay did not match that pay. I have called in on this and the pay was straightened out immediately.

I have found this is one more tool to help us to stay aware of where we get our loads and also to make sure our pay matches what I think it should be.

I also get a little carried away and have a mark on my Streets and Trips map of where we have picked up and delivered to. I date these flags on my maps so that when we decide to layover at an Express Center I can quickly see what the history for us looks like in that area.

Reactions: 1 person

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
on my ss i also have the day of the week it was picked up and where i was when i got the call. the loads sheet is linked to the expenses sheet for each load to determine individual profit per run. with what i know and what gracie teaches me my sheets get lengthy and i suppose anal.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wow Jack and pjjjj when did you guys start contracting with FedEx Custom Critical I am behind the times I think.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Ahh, sorry TeamCaffee, I never notice which category I'm posting in, I always go to 'new posts' and they're all just together in there.
Don't know how I got in here tho? Kick me out!
Didn't realize it was specific to FECC...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You have to have special permission from the Special Permission God in order to post in the Carrier Forums.

Well, maybe not. :D

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
It is funny I wonder what happened to the security on these forums? I just wondered if you guys had wandered over to the dark side.

I also just read the new posts and type away so I can see how easy it would be to do this.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Something's obviously wrong with the FedEx Forum. Security? The fact that anyone can read stuff in here means there is no security. ;)

Seems to me, though, that if you can read something in a forum, you should be able to reply to it in that forum. Having separate carrier forums is fine, as that naturally separates out topics, but restricting the postings in them to people who are only signed on with that carrier is odd. Like, if your screen name is MonkeyBoy and you drive for LM Expediters, you might want to make a comment in the LM Forum, but you also might not want everyone in the world to know who your carrier is, and if you post in the LM Forum, they'll know. If LM doesn't like what you post, they could do bad things to you, like not give you loads, or just cancel your contract.

Separate forums is great, but if you can read there, you should be able to post there.

There have been a couple of times where I had something relevant to say in response to something, but couldn't, because I can't post in there. I know the same has been true for others. Either open 'em all up, or close 'em all down to those who don't have permission to post and don't let people read it if they can't respond to it.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I was against the company forums to begin with and after they were in place I think in some ways they do a lot of good.

When a company specific question is asked many of the replies were from people with other companies and it looked as if they knew what they were talking about when in reality they were just muddying the waters. Now if you have a company specific questions or like the spreadsheet idea that is company specific only the people affected can reply and so a new person reading this info at least know the people replying are with that company. They do not have to wade through all the opinions of a company policy that make no sense and just flame everyone.

If we are no longer are going to have company specific areas we need to go back to just posting in the general so anyone reading will know that anyone can reply.

Last edited:

aileron

Expert Expediter
I keep a spreadsheet entry on every load we pickup and the pay. On my spreadsheet I keep track of the date picked up, what type of load, pickup city and delivery, dhpl, dhpu, and run miles with total pay. If I get an advance on the run I also keep track of that. After we get our settlement sheet I check that off of my entry for that load. I have found a few discrepancies where we were offered a pre assignment pay and then the pay did not match that pay. I have called in on this and the pay was straightened out immediately.

I have found this is one more tool to help us to stay aware of where we get our loads and also to make sure our pay matches what I think it should be.

I also get a little carried away and have a mark on my Streets and Trips map of where we have picked up and delivered to. I date these flags on my maps so that when we decide to layover at an Express Center I can quickly see what the history for us looks like in that area.

I also keep a spreadsheet similar to yours. The MS streets & trips is a wonderful idea which I am going to start doing. Thanks

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I'm sorry! The mess is my fault..well, the invasion anyway.. LOL.. had a box clicked wrong so that members of the Cookbook crew could post here :)

However, the purpose of these forums, as Linda said, was so that ONLY people who drive for a carrier can post info about them.

All moderators may post in general topics such as this one, as long as they don't give 'carrier specific' advice, and have the abiltiy to 'fix stuff'.

Mistake fixed!

My bad!

Dale

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Well Dale it was pretty entertaining for awhile and sure started the rumors flying with people switching companies!

Leave it to the Women’s forum to cause trouble!

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
We also keep spreadsheets. I have mine with all the run dollars and pay, which is laid out just like it comes across the QC. The pay is broken down also (ie, DDPS, Reefer, Detention, etc.) so that I can go back and remember what we did and where. I have more than once gone back to our history to make a decision on where to layover, or whatever.

Mr.Pie keeps his own spreadsheet. Some of his numbers duplicate mine - but it is a good double check. His primary purpose is to watch fuel mileage, DH Miles and that sort of thing.

It only takes a few minutes to put the numbers in, and it is great at tax time too. All I have to do to figure per diem is go down the layover column and count the days we weren't at home. It's great for reimbursable expenses where we have to put the run number on every receipt for our owner because you just match up the dates. I also keep it by date and day of the week, so I can see patterns for regular shippers.

I do like the map and flag idea, but I don't see a need to do all that when I already have the spreadsheet and can just do a search for the pickup location. That might be something I will add as we go forward and I begin requiring more memory (human) to keep up.

Mypie