Split Second. What would you do?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

This just happened today in Houston on I-45 North bound. It's amazing how everything is fine and safe and in a moment - life and limb is on the line..

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope the idiot pulling the RGN didn't take anyone with him.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The truck tailgating the other truck could have avoided the wreck entirely had it not been tailgating. Yes, split-second decisions must be made on the road. It is also true that best-practice driving reduces the need to make them.

Reactions: Opel2010

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agree with tailgating. Also, miscalculated speed and the braking distances. One thing for sure.... distractions. Drivers involved are not 100% focusing on driving and the surrounding environments. Well, how long can ones stay 100% focus anyway before the distractions enter the field of focus? .

Here's what I saw. 4 vehicles, 2 SUVs in front and followed by 2 tractors traveling on the same lane.

1. First SUV had the brake or emergency light flasher on. Stopped dead in 55-65 MPH lane, for whatever reasons.
2. Second SUV, trailing right behind, applied the brake and swerved to the left, kept hauling and avoided the collision.
3. Third vehicle, the tractor, locked the brakes and swerved slightly to the right and was barely able to avoid rear ending the first SUV.
4. Fourth vehicle, the last tractor, tried to apply the brakes but.............?!?

I Hope everyone is okay.

If I was in the last tractor, what would I do? At that point I will probably apply the brakes and probably will have this flashback to Doris Day's song . Lol

Be safe out there folks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Opel2010

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's what I saw. 4 vehicles, 2 SUVs in front and followed by 2 tractors traveling on the same lane.

1. First SUV had the brake or emergency light flasher on. Stopped dead in 55-65 MPH lane, for whatever reasons.
2. Second SUV, trailing right behind, applied the brake and swerved to the left, kept hauling and avoided the collision.
3. Third vehicle, the tractor, locked the brakes and swerved slightly to the right and was barely able to avoid rear ending the first SUV.
4. Fourth vehicle, the last tractor, tried to apply the brakes but.............?!?

From the video there is no evidence that the the third vehicle, the tractor trailer pulling the step deck with beaver tails locked the brakes. At least not intentionally. The moron, fourth vehicle, last tractor, pulling the RGN rear ended number 3. That not only forced that vehicle forward but also caused the trailer wheels to lock up due to momentarily riding up the rear of the trailer. From what I saw on the video the tractor pulling the empty RGN trailer reacted too late to the situation and rode up the assend of the step deck and lost it.

As to the title of this thread: Split Second. What would you do? It would depend on what vehicle I was driving.

Reactions: muttly and Mailer

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I always drive , keep safe distance from the unit a head of me , watch for person coming out from ramp and getting on highway. as they come out slow and except you slow down for them, if you don't they get all upset and tell you are number 1, I thought they should read yield sign.
or the other one come from left lane and get off on right lane, and no turn signal, in 3 feet or less and make you hit brakes hard

there is never a officer around when they do something wrong

Reactions: muttly

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
This just happened today in Houston on I-45 North bound. It's amazing how everything is fine and safe and in a moment - life and limb is on the line..

all because someone was tailgaiting ive seen some doozies because of tailgaiting both on cars and trucks.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You see more semi drivers tailgating than you see following at a sensible distance for that level mass/momentum.