Speedco - Vehicle Inspection

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
For those of you that do not get the weekly email here is a heads up:

No Longer Accepting Vehicle Inspections from Speedco
Please note that we can no longer accept vehicle inspections that have been completed by Speedco. This is effective immediately.

We are making this change because Speedco has determined that they will not sign off on Section 2 of the brake inspector section, which is a requirement of the DOT. If you have any questions about this, please contact our Safety department.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Darn.
We saw the sign last time we got a pm at Speedco and thought that would be convenient.

Thanks for the information. We always take the FECC paperwork in to a service facility and verify their credentials and willingness to complete them properly before opening any work orders. This will save us the bother at Speedco.

Side note:
They left my gas cap off last time we were there. We drove about 30 miles to a truckstop where a helpful trucker pointed out what I should of caught.
I called the mgr and let him know. He asked if I had lost any fuel. I told him I just wanted to let him know what they missed so they could be more vigilant and he thanked me.
So, make sure to check everything behind them and do a better job than I did.:D

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
t-a does inspections. 25 bucks for my former van. they went over and under and thru. i felt sorry for the guy because there was so little to check. i think he liked doing something simple.

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
I've always liked SpeedCo for my oil changes. The bays are always clean and neat and you don't have to wait all day. They all ways seem to be looking to a way a make an extra buck from you though, as if the oil changes were not enough. I had to put a label on my air cleaner 'Do not remove without driver approval'. Every month they would take it out and tell me I needed a new one.

I'm sure they were looking for a way to bring more $$ in, but they do not have qualified people to do brake inspections. If you didn't pass an inspection what were you going to do? They don't do any mechanical work.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Since we put on the OPS1 oil bi-pass filter we very seldom go to the SpeedCo. They also quit selling Michelin tires so we have even less reason to go there.

I agree that the place is always clean and they always have done a good job for us and the price is right.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We just passed a roadside DOT in NC. That is acceptable to FedEx and now we don't have to get another DOT until November. Do those state troopers have the needed brake certifications? They don't sign the FedEx box indicating so. I get so lost, can someone please explain that to me?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So if you found a Speedco that would sign on section 2 there's no reason it wouldn't be accepted?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Leo, I would verify with FCC before I wasted my money at a Speedco on a DOT.
Speedco will charge you for the work and then FCC might not accept it.

Layout, send in your maintenance report with your DOT inspection so that you can use that as one of your inspections. It is my understanding that in order for a DOT inspector to be able to do an inspection they have to be certified.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I won't be using Speedco but just was curious. Seems that anyone who can sign off should be acceptable and wondered if the question had been addressed yet.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Leo, I would verify with FCC before I wasted my money at a Speedco on a DOT.
Speedco will charge you for the work and then FCC might not accept it.

Layout, send in your maintenance report with your DOT inspection so that you can use that as one of your inspections. It is my understanding that in order for a DOT inspector to be able to do an inspection they have to be certified.

We already sent it in Linda. We are good until Nov now. I was just confused, as always, that trooper did not sign anything saying he was certified, I guess FedEx just assumes that they are.