speed traps

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
This web site was sent to me and I thought it might come in handy for some of you who may have a lead foot, lol. I did a search but didn't find it listed here on EO.

Hope this is helpful.

SpeedTrap Exchange

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
Hi

My wife and I used to drive for E-1 and Bolt, but after losing our shirts had to call it quits. Now I am waiting for that right opportunity to come along in an O/O capacity again.

It was not my intention to say speeding is okay, but merely to introduce a web site that some might find useful when traveling to unfamiliar areas.

Thanks for any replies you may have.

p.s. hi hondaking38

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Hey guys, just remember: Speed traps are just that, they are TRAPS! Speed traps are not where you have law enforcement patrolling making sure that people aren't going 75 in a 60 zone. They are designed by small towns to be a source of revenue. Usually they occur with sudden changes in speed with a slightly obscured sign. They are normally NOT the expected speed changes you might find while entering a town on a state highway. Waldo, Florida is a name that some of you are probably familiar with. Also, if you are in the Florida panhandle, watch out for Cottondale, Florida on SR231, just north of I-10.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Summersville WV on US 19 (the I79 to I77 shortcut). You could be going 10 below the limit and get a ticket, it's guaranteed if you have out of state plates. They almost threw my Dad in jail because he asked to see the radar gun!

Falligator

Expert Expediter
You wanted a speed trap be careful going through Canfield, OH. I was pulled over for doing 27 in a 25mph zone. right by the Canfield Fairgrounds....they wait there. I was pissed at the officer for even pulling me over...(I was younger and stupid at the time) but got the ticket anyway. most of the ticket was court costs. BUT FOR 2 MILES OVER????!!!!! COMEON! Ya'll mentioned the speed trap in Waldo, Fl. I'll be going through there this evening, but there is even a sign there that says Waldo is a speed trap. I think that the point of this thread should mention that a driver should be paying attention to the speed limit signs...That's why they are there. To protect the citizens. (most of the time) I can't comprehend why during a construction zone drivers can't take the common courtesy to at least slow down. Some of these drivers just breeze right through when there are people working not more than 2 feet away (in some instances).
<<<just waiting on my laundry to get done....couldn't dry fast enough!

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think that the point of this thread should mention that a driver should be paying attention to the speed limit signs...That's why they are there.
The problem comes when you can't see them, because they're not there or because they are intentionally hidden or otherwise obscured.

When you are driving along in a certain speed zone and there is a change in that speed limit up ahead, there is supposed to be a sign at least 500 feet before the change informing you that a new speed zone is up ahead.

The trip between Memphis and Jonesboro, AR takes you along US Hwy 63, which is destined to be the new I-555, eventually. You exit off I-55 onto US 63 and find the speed limit to be 55 MPH. No sign that tells you that, though. Well, there is, but you have to know where to look for it. And going 56 MPH will get you a $200 ticket from one of two Gilmore, police officers. They write an average of 450 tickets a month.

West Memphis writes an average of 224 tickets a month. Over in Memphis, TN, population of three quarters of a million, they write about 500 tickets a month. Gilmore has a population of 331 people. And they write 450 tickets a month, and fully 90% of them are to out of state motorists. Very few out of state motorists come back to contest the tickets.

US 63 isn't just the route to Jonesboro, it's the route to the gateway to the Ozarks, to Branson, one of the major routes to Eureka Springs, where more than 1 million people a year flock to see the "Passion Play", one of the most impressive outdoor stage productions, ever.

Coming back the other way from Jonesboro to I-55, the speed limit abruptly, without warming, changes from 70 MPH to 55 MPH.

Further on towards Jonesboro, and towards the Ozarks, comfortably into the 70 MPH speed zone, there's a 500 foot stretch where it once again drops to 55 MPH without warning. Welcome to beautiful downtown Tyronza, population 918, where they managed to make ticket writing an art form, except you don't actually pass through town, you're on the by-pass. They have 12 police officers who write an average of 250 tickets per officer per month, with an average ticket being $200. The math is staggering.

The Arkansas state legislature recently took a close look at Gilmore, Tyronza and a few other places around the state (including the twin towns of Walnut Ridge and Hoxie, where doing 36 in a 35 will get you a $400 ticket). They passed legislation limiting the total amount of ticket revenue to 30 percent. They also required the speed limits and speed zone changes to be clearly posted and not obscured in any way.

Both Tyronza and Gilmore immediately annexed a lot of land and dramatically expanded their city limits, which has the side effect of wiggling through a loophole that allowed a higher percentage of ticket revenue. They still write a lot of tickets in these places, but it's not nearly as crazy as it used to be. At least the speed limit and speed zone signs are now clearly posted, and they have apparently stopped clocking people for doing 77 in a 55 even though they were actually going 65 or 70 in a 55.

There are lots of places in the US besides Arkansas where, if you have out of state plates, it's best to go about 5 MPH under the posted speed limit, that is, if you see it posted at all. ;)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
looking at speed traps, from my house to interstate 64 there are 4 speed traps that have go thru get started each day

and seems like driving in speed traps all day long
welcome to hampton roads va one of worlds biggest speed traps

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Be very careful in construction zones . I've seen construction zones in KY that are 10 miles long . They may be only doing work on the first few miles for several months but if you go over 55 m.p.h. before you reach the "End Construction" and "End Double Fine" signs you are risking a ticket . This was a good revenue provider when the scales around the 4 mile marker on I-65 were closed during construction . If you get a ticket , fight it . Many people Federal Regulations prevent a CDL driver from getting tickets reduced . That is not true . The regulations prohibit "masking" a conviction . Violations can be deferred to avoid trial .

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Unless things have changed Route #301 through the Eastern Shore of Maryland is a guaranteed ticket for any Vehicle with out of State plates.