Speed Limits and fuel economy

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I still drive between 55 and 60, closer to 55. And I'm still overtaking other vehicles. It also seems that in the higher speed zones that most people aren't maxing out these days.

eb

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Really, show me a van from the 90 ' s that got 20mpg. I would venture to say average fuel milage is up across the board.

The number of cars on the road today far exceeds those numbers of a couple.of decades ago. I would imagine fuel tax collection is way up from what it once was. Since most people do a huge.majority of driving in.metro areas where speeds don't get raised to the numbers discussed here i don't think raiding speeds in rural areas make a huge difference in taxes

The cost of maintaining our infrastructure has gone up so much I think higher fuel taxes are inevitable.

My mistake... everyone is driving around in vans. :p

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
When we are driving on two lane roads we will run up to 65 MPH but our normal speed is 58 mph when vehicles can get around us easily.

In ten years we have not had a problem.

Linda and Bob

We have an Owner Operator that runs 58 mph as you do. His truck is a 2007 and he gets over 12 mpg with his truck. Martin has been with us over two years and puts a lot of money back in his pocket. People would be shocked on how much. You can buy a small car with the money Martin has saved. He has never been late for a pickup or a delivery and is one of the best drivers in our fleet.

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver
Now the " trucking experts" say not drive over 75 because truck tires aren't
designed to run faster than 75.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I may get to 70--- occasionally touch 75--- but it seems on a long cruise I'll naturally settle in at 60.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
At 60 mph I get 12 mpg in my M2. Push it up to 65 and it drops to close to 11 mpg. Have never had the need to go over 65.