Speed Limiters

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
We have a GMC cutaway van, registered at 4000kg or 8800lbs and BC still requires is to run quarterly operating permits and just this last Friday it was pulled in for roadside inspection, CMV is CMV at least in BC.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
piper1 - I read the law from the link you posted - it refers to commercial motor vehicles - in the States I am not considered a commercial motor vehicle, only a commercial vehicle - due to the fact that I am under 10K GVW, and carry no Hazmat. Since the speed limiter law pertains only to CMV's, is there a similar cutoff in the definition of CMV in Canada ? Or is any commercial vehicle considered a CMV ?

you should be ok, under 4500 kg (10,000 lb) in Ontario is generally not considered a commercial motor vehicle even if it is plated as such.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
As far as I know, they haven't set the parameters for the speed limiters. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it could end up being anything. I personally don't think vans/sprinters will be affected, and I'm wondering if even under 26001# will be affected.
I don't see how one province can mandate that people from outside the province must add a piece of equipment at their own expense, to meet the province's unique requirements, and not allow it to be changed when going outside that province.
Will be interesting to see what happens in court once the law comes into effect and gets challenged.
I also read that tickets won't be levied for the first 6 months, it will be treated as an educational period.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As far as I know, they haven't set the parameters for the speed limiters. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it could end up being anything. I personally don't think vans/sprinters will be affected, and I'm wondering if even under 26001# will be affected.
I don't see how one province can mandate that people from outside the province must add a piece of equipment at their own expense, to meet the province's unique requirements, and not allow it to be changed when going outside that province.
Will be interesting to see what happens in court once the law comes into effect and gets challenged.
I also read that tickets won't be levied for the first 6 months, it will be treated as an educational period.

PJ....States and provinces already have different laws for truckers...such as wheelbase requirements...distance between axles...drag` or push axles....it's getting stupid for a "dumb" driver to be expected to know all the laws...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm the truck running at Fedex and my teams do Canada.. their choice to make but they will probably continue with it.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Col what a stupid comment. I believe everyone of us that go to Canada would put this device on if you could regulate it when you came back to the states. I do not believe our company is wrong, from everything we have read and heard once the device it put on you had best leave it be.
X06col
Piper, that be good advice. Really good advice. However, many (read most) these clowns couldn't or wouldn't spend a couple hunnert to make a few hunnert more. Jes the nature of the beast. An the roast goose thing. I continue to be amazed.

Piper1 I think you also need to do a little more research on this new law.

I know, I know, i'm stewpid. However, seems to me it makes no difference whom sets the limit, as long as it is set. If ya wanna go to Canada once in a while i'd be looking for an alternative to being locked in to a certain speed. I never ran fast myself as a rule, however, once in a while there wuz the need to wrap it up a bit to gitrdone, and it wuz great being able to do that. Dunno. you'll have to judge for yoursef what be best. And, your company used to be a good one when I wuz with em (roberts). But, seems they are getting wronger each day by all indications.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
As far as how this is supposed to be done for limiting speed it is the ecm. Now the MTO has readers to check your ecm for its speed limit setting. They'll be plugging into your ecm plug to check the speed limitation. They claim these are just readers as I know at the last truck show several truckers were questioning the mto about this and their fears of the mto making chnages to other settings. The mto stated repeatedly that these were readers only. So this is basically the onboard builtin system that they want you to use to limit your speed. Yes going downhill will mean an overspeed situation in some cases etc and yes there will be a grace period for education and such but unfortunately it is coming along with quebec.

And PJ as far as knowing all the laws for everywhere we go.... well unfortunately your not going to know them all and of course it could mean a ticket in some jurisdictions. Be we all deal with it. It is hard to know and learn as many of the rules and regs for where we travel and of course most states and provinces do not publish an easy to use and read and understand pamphlet that you get at their border which explains all this. Would be nice if they did and put up one sign saying stop here to get your rules booklet!
Rob

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Wait until communist California enacts a similar type law that the ECM shuts the truck down after ten minutes of idling.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Make that tree minutes jim. Tree is all ya git, so, do it quick. Wouldn't wanna settle too much stuff on on of the lambrogen'es would ya.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Piper1, u'r right on;
OOIDA's paper dated Nov 4, 2008 titled "Quebec Minister Boulet Reneges on Speed Limiter Commitment" states “It’s unbelievable that in an economic climate where people are struggling to maintain their livelihoods, Quebec has decided to ignore their commitment to wait on this mandate. They appear to be deliberately impacting trade. We will not sit idly by and let them put truckers out of business,” Craig stated.

“The large trucking corporations who are pushing for a speed limiter mandate well know it will not increase safety or benefit the environment as they’ve advertised. They’re in it for limiting competition and harming the little guy.”

OOIDA is prepared to file a Notice of Intent to Submit a Claim to Arbitration for breach of Canada’s obligations under the North American Free Trade Agreement upon implementation of the speed limiter mandate. Here's link to the article;
Quebec Minister Boulet Reneges on Speed Limiter Commitment

I also read results of a study by Transport Canada published back in July of 2008 expressing "Despite the perception that OEMs are generally supportive of mandatory limiter rules for heavy trucks, comments by the Truck Manufacturers Association and Engine Manufacturers Association show that equipment suppliers are pretty much against such a policy, as it stands, for Canada or the U.S." in regards to technical considerations of setting the ecms per customer's request and the liability there of as well as the "tamper proof" issue goes.
Article found here; Today?s Trucking - Dealing with issues including trucking regulations, fleet management, owners/operators, and the latest in trucking products.

It will be interesting to see just how this plays out. Me thinks a wait and see approach on adding such a limiter is a good idea for now. GO GO OOIDA. BTW, not meant to be a plug for OOIDA, but i heard on XM Landline they have a new member sign-up special thru the end of the yr for $25.

Dougb
Panther Team St truck