Speed Limiters

ireland

Seasoned Expediter
Ontario and Quebec will soon be enforcing the speed limiter. So will you rush to your local dealer to have yours set to 65.2 or will you start turning down any loads to these Provinces. We are on the fence about this and would be interested in what other opinions are out there.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ontario and Quebec will soon be enforcing the speed limiter. So will you rush to your local dealer to have yours set to 65.2 or will you start turning down any loads to these Provinces. We are on the fence about this and would be interested in what other opinions are out there.

Once the ECM is set theres no way to reset coming back into the U.S. I see this as a boom for Canadian expediters as there'll be a lot more cross docking in Detroit and Buffalo. If someone was a real opportunist they'd lease a small industrial unit and set-up cross docking business with the carriers...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think I'll adjust mine. Even though my normal driving speed is about 60 I've had occassion to run faster at times like when my dad had emergency surgery. I'll stick with a non-crippled truck and if they never get any freight into their area all the better.

moose

Veteran Expediter
in Detroit and Buffalo. If someone was a real opportunist they'd lease a small industrial unit and set-up cross docking business with the carriers...

Ya can do the same at the California border...
A trailer drop yard/relay ...

Moose.
IA/IL/MO.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe a stay at home opportunity for Layout to semi-retire?

I don't think many will want to have their trucks adjusted...unless the bulk of their loads go to Canada...

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Cross docking at the border is allready high, This will push it even higher.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
My only problem with this is that the US won't enforce nothing against Canadian trucks. Not that I have anything against them but it will cut loads for us greatly, why hire a US company to bring good back and forth, just hire the cheaper Canadian company.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My only problem with this is that the US won't enforce nothing against Canadian trucks. Not that I have anything against them but it will cut loads for us greatly, why hire a US company to bring good back and forth, just hire the cheaper Canadian company.

And the Loonie being so low....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No OVM, don't want to semi-retire yet. Most of my loads up to there pay ok but too much dead head out. I would rather just shut the border down in protest. Just cause I am a hot head!!!! We could set up in the middle of the bridge and drink adult beverages and "Flip The Bird" at both sides of the border. (and the odd passing ship) Layoutshooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OH yea, and no way to the limiter. I drive 57-61mph everywhere I drive. I don't need some liberal nut case legislater telling me how to drive. Besides. I like having my power to get out of a problem if I need it. Safety first. HEY, I got an idea. How about those guys up in Canada start INFORCING the speed limits on both CARS and trucks? Naw, too hard, way too much work. It would interupt thier coffee breaks. Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OH yea, and no way to the limiter. I drive 57-61mph everywhere I drive. I don't need some liberal nut case legislater telling me how to drive. Besides. I like having my power to get out of a problem if I need it. Safety first. HEY, I got an idea. How about those guys up in Canada start INFORCING the speed limits on both CARS and trucks? Naw, too hard, way too much work. It would interupt thier coffee breaks. Layoutshooter

I am really disappointed in Ontario....But the AUTO Club and the Ont Trucking Association backed this crap...Auto club I understand but the Association? Brokers get the load there before company drivers I guess...so they felt they had to level the playing field.....Bull Crap!

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I would not turn mine down, just can't get past the idea of a foreign government telling me what I can do in my own country.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Shoot JaminJim, I won't turn mine down if OUR OWN government tells me too. Your right OVM, Ontario should be ashamed of it's self. Let's all head for the bridge in Detroit. It's bird flipping time. Layoutshooter

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
While we all can agree running at 65 or lower is better for fuel economy it is the bigger companies who are pushing for these limitations. The public is as well because of the sensational crashes involving trucks.

Now we know what's going to happen is the line of slower trucks and the speed demon cars and pickups and suvs that are going to pass the trucks and try to squeeze thru to get to an exit that they want. The passing on the highway will mean the two lanes or at least two right lanes will be side by side trucks all going within 2mph of each other. Yes the fun begins in the new year as we'll all have the limiters changed when we get serviced.

I know a couple of cdn companies that like utilizing american haulers as they don't get charged gst on the freight charges. Yes they can claim it back but they don't have to pay it out initially so for them they deem this better.
Rob

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You know FIS53, you can fight it. Not in the courts but on the road. Just shut 'em down and block everything up on the day they pass it. Then have rolling road blocks off and on till someone gets the message. We either take control away from our governments or they will control you. It will only happen if we let it. We have the choice and the power if we want it. We can choose to be free men or drones. I don't drone well, do you? Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the reasons Challenger Motor Freight and Verspeeten aka Cordell Transportation... now have a U/S division...out of Michigan. At the very least it created driving jobs for Americans.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Well layout we could do that but unfortunately it's only the brokers who are fighting it and not the trucking industry. The Ontario Trucking Assoc and the Quebec version and the Maritimes ones are all behind this regulation. The larger corps want the rule to help them be competitive although I see many of their buggies doing a lot more than 65 on the highways. Maybe there'll be a revolt but I doubt it very much. We're all too busy trying to make a buck except the dump trucks who have recently organized and had a 3 day protest over rates (that's a laugh as half of the ones protesting caused the lower rates).
Don't see all us brokers getting togather to do a lot against the gov't and the large trucking firms.
Rob

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, that sucks. Good luck up there. I won't be doing it to my truck. Layoutshooter

They won't protest too much up there to make a statement...they don't realize its about the right to chose NOT whether you want to go faster but the right to chose if want to have the choice....

It should be about the unrestrictive right to chose...The government again has chosen to gather in the herd...and make the choices for them!