speed limiter

xman1827

Active Expediter
I was wondering if there is any visible way of telling weather a truck has a speed governor? I need to go into Canada today and I don't have one

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No. If they hook up their electric geegaw to the truck's computer, that's how they can tell if it is speed limited or not. Well, if you exceed the allowable speed limit they'll also know you aren't limited, which is how they nail most people.

Am I to understand you accepted a load to Canada, knowing they require speed limiters, and knowing you don't have one, or even knowing what one is? Here's something else you might want to think about - you also need a State Department WHTI approved document, if you ever want to come back.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Now what is a whti doc?
The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, or WHTI, requires U.S. and Canadian travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. It is a result of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA). Acceptable travel documents include: a Passport, a Passport Card, Enhanced Drivers License, NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST cards.

You also need to have cash to pay for the bridge tolls, and for the $10.75 entry fee to get back into the US. Otherwise, Canada will just keep you.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You just gotta love that "re-entry tax" :mad: I know, I know, it's not a tax, it's a fee. :rolleyes: What a crock. We already pay for those agencies to do their jobs, then they want MORE money when they really have to do something. (which they never do, they just ring it up on the cash register).

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, or WHTI, requires U.S. and Canadian travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. It is a result of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA). Acceptable travel documents include: a Passport, a Passport Card, Enhanced Drivers License, NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST cards.

You also need to have cash to pay for the bridge tolls, and for the $10.75 entry fee to get back into the US. Otherwise, Canada will just keep you.

May I add to that....A U.S. Permanent Resident Card is also acceptable to re enter the U.S. for ground travel...

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Speedlimier set in the trucks ECM. To tell u the truth there dangerous. Especially if u Blow a steer tire going down hill, if the truck max speed is set at 65 and ur doing 65 u will not be able to goose it to bring the front end up. When the college boys and girls finaly grow up and realize that rule is not such a good one let me know. My dislike with the speed limiter is this U blow a steer tire down a hill with a load u sure dont want to hit the breaks do u. In my case in 2008 the tractor that i drove didnt have a trolley valve for the trailer so that being said I needed the power to keep the front end up thus bringing the truck to a stop at the bottom on the flat. Nice and safe. The tractor I drive now has a trolley valve, but in any case blown steers are not the only reason either. Somtimes u can be passing another truck then they decide to speed up. Not good situation on a 2 way road. That extra power can help just as much as it can hinder. It all depends on how u use it.

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Let me get this straight: you're doing 65 downhill, and blow a steer tire........and you want to speed up? Did I read that right?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let me get this straight: you're doing 65 downhill, and blow a steer tire........and you want to speed up? Did I read that right?

By actually speeding up you can pull your backend out of a spin in some cases...especially with a trailer...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you're governed at 65 and cannot go any faster, why would you drive as fast as possible if there were any circumstance where you might need to go, you know, faster? If you're driving as fast as you can, blow a steer, and suddenly need more power, you're kinda screwed, aren't ya? <snort>

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was wondering if there is any visible way of telling weather a truck has a speed governor? I need to go into Canada today and I don't have one

If you are lucky enough to be less than 26,000 GVW you dont need it. (I think that's right)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the old days when they were called governed...I always tried to save a little pedal to get out of anything that might pop up.....sooo many drive with pedal down and leave no option to be able to drive out of a tight situation...
That is not a good driver...

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
You are right, redytrk. Or a school bus fully loaded with kids. They're not speed limited, either. Ask me how I know.....

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
I think it very considerate of the very polite Canadian drivers of 4 wheelers to also follow the 100 kph speed limit and not bopping, weaving and speeding like Americans. )

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think it very considerate of the very polite Canadian drivers of 4 wheelers to also follow the 100 kph speed limit and not bopping, weaving and speeding like Americans. )

Yes, Jack, they are SO polite! :rolleyes: None of those rock haulers with Ontario plates who fly by me are breaking any laws either. :eek:

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
What part of Canada are you going to? I believe only Ontario and Quebec require speed limiters.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Yes, Jack, they are SO polite! :rolleyes: None of those rock haulers with Ontario plates who fly by me are breaking any laws either. :eek:

And all traffic is civil the closer you get to Toronto on the 405. ;) If canada wants to restrict speeds then enforce the existing limit.