Speaking of White Glove.....

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
We can take this premiun service a step farther.Not just W/G but in surface too.FDCC wants to charge a premium price,but send in inferior people to do the job,with trucks that dont look like they will make it to delivery.Now with the discounts that are being given,many of these trucks are having trouble keeping up an image,others never have.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It may be bad biz in your eyes. change from one set of standards to another often irritate
a group that may have been negatively affected.
bad biz, maybe.
I think that it is bad business in a lot of peoples eyes. It is not changing standards but undermining the efforts of people trying to maintain them who are the ones being effected by these policy changes.

If the quality of the product has diminished certain things in the natural course of biz will occur. Someone sees a weakness or crack in the armour and attacks it ( maybe Elite srvcs)
the company sets new standards which may confuse old timers, maybe. the company
loses to much in the market and shuts down, hope not, a thinning of the herd to help strenghten work ethics and performance, maybe. more accountability, probably some of
all the above.
Well the thing is it is not a product, it is a service which has a different meaning altogether. The natural course of business in this environment is not to cheapen your services but strengthen it and to show the customer there is a maintained standard for these services. The standards which made the company attractive to the customer are not the ones we are talking about here, it is the policy and the performance of individuals who are inexperienced and pretty much useless when it comes to being the elite of the fleet. Work ethics and performance suffers when you have people who have worked hard become discouraged with a company by changing policies which lowers the qualifications of entry into the elite part of the fleet.

This is actually the opposite of "thinning of the herd" through attrition, by allowing trucks to be placed in front of others waiting because of a sale, ahead of people who by the way are proving themselves to the company to do this job, it is actually expanding the fleet - adding more pigs to the feed trough.

one thing is for certain, change. This environment of expediting ( 24 months ) is all I have
ever known of the biz. The way it use to be means nothing to me as it had zero impact on me.
I am dealing with what was placed on my plate April 14th 2007 and going foreward with it.
This is not expediting, it is trucking. For most who are defensive it is showmanship for FedEx. Expediting is really lost as far as I can see, it has changed and will continue to change but if you are only thinking from your inception into this business going forward in this niche market, you may be surprised at what changes are being made.

clearly business savy isnt a fav topic of gregg. while he readily intermixed the term to
vent his irritation, my comment on the fleet owners ability to negotiate and get concessions for his fleet was and is , clearly, business savy.
That's funny Dave, the problem is you don't see the connection between customer service and repeat business. On top of that, you missed the point that putting people who just got their license in a truck in a top position is a very bad thing to do for both the company and the customer. I already worked with FedEx CC long before I did this work, when I was working at the Pharma company and if I knew that the driver of that truck just got his license even a year before, I would not use him or FedEx. WG is supposed to be the elite, it is a marketing scheme that was created to capture an untapped market and has to be backed up by the performance of the division with higher standards being maintained.

It is not that I am irritated, I know the game they are playing and can't blame them in the least, but what floors me is the defense of things you don't know about or take for granted at the company. Remember that you are a tool or resource for them and that is it.

your idealism is better suited for late night sobbing into beers than in the real business world where wheeling and dealing take place everyday, different price lists exist for different customers, different terms are available, tiered rebates to those strong enough to out perform the competition.
clearly while you talk a good game, to a degree, you are very naive in real business dealings.
Dude, your naive. Read carefully what I have been saying and think for a minute. I have to tell you that they can out perform Panther, LEAM, Express-1 without hessitation - they can wipe them out if they want to but they will not. CC is an after thought in the bigger picture, if you don't beleive me, go to memphis and poke your head into their operations center and ask questions.

and i mean this is common place, the very crux of american enterptise in action.
clearly the small business owner is at a disadvantage most times.
but yet small businesses continue to pop up and people succeed.
cleary showing business savy themselves.
Who are we talking about? The owner of the truck or FedEx?

I can tell you right now why FedEx is doing this, money. It has zero to do with anything else but their money. They have to deal with an large amount of paper work and data and keeping the truck in the fleet actually saves them money. The other side of the coin is the relationship they have with the large owners, there is something more than what you see. Unless you are an fleet owner, don't think you know what I am talking about.

"grasshopper, be one with the wind and bend do not stiffen as you will be broken" blind kungfu master to cane.
clearly savage savy.

yet a lesson to learn to be flexable and survive and prosper.
I agree with that but want to add that this is a buisiness, not an RVing club and many people are too defensive over company issues like this one. FedEx looks at you, the contractor as just that, nothing more and by fooling yourself that you are something more than that puts you in a bad position when things go wrong.

the playing field IS NOT level or equal for all players. fact not opinion.
yet success can be achieved if you play within your set of rules ( go ahead ask me how i know).

clearly a difference of opinion.
Actually Dave, it is not my opinion, it is what I have been told by FedEx. A lot of what I have said in the past comes right from them, I won't name names because you don't work for them and I am not contracted with them anymore.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
I added a co-driver to my T-Val truck and had to have her attend WG classes so, as I had nothing to do for the day and it had been 8 years since I attended the classes I decide to go and see if anything was new. I was totally surprised at the quality (or lack there of) in the people attending the class.

Anytime I visit the offices in Green I make it a point to be in tip-top shape, uniform on and truck just washed. Some people see this as a** kissing but everywhere I go I am selling the service I offer, a professional business person doing a professional job.

Some people in that class made me want to look where they were going afterwards. I figured they might go back to the local flop house to spend the night.

A couple of them were in dire need of a shower, one guy had on dirty sweat pants with LARGE holes in them. One guy I am not sure he could even read English.

These kinds of people are a detriment to my business because if they go into some of our customers looking like that do you think we are going to get another call? And also one of the red KW's there had a small puppy in the truck that they had to go out and let out at every break we took. And another thing I have been told that we cannot park on the lot over night but there must have been an exception made for the red trucks because they spent 2 nights there that I know about.

These are the reasons I have a problem with this class of drivers. Now to explain I only saw 3 of their trucks at this class and not all the people in this class were going to be driving the red trucks, but I was the ONLY owner in the class. And only one other couple had more than one months experience with FDCC so you see the problem as there are many people who have YEARS experience and are on the list to get into WG and who will probably never get there.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Gregg, i just reread my first entry into this thread. I am at a loss to see who I am defending. Quoting a Fedex WG recruiter on the current TVAL issue isnt defense , good god man, it is INFO.
Commenting on the ability of one fleet owners negotiations skills isnt defending, if anything it is admiration that he was successful in getting something he wanted from Fedex.
I dont see myself as a fictional comic character swooping in to right a wrong. Dont want to defend Fedex or the fleet owner in question, let them do it themselves.
Sorry I didnt state the obvious ( to me at least ) about accountability to both the customer, carrier and owner not to mention myself. But hey I'm WG, what would you know about it.........eheheheheh just yanking your get out of jail card.
But if you really got all that crapoola about customer service from my entries into this thread we really are missing each others point.
I dont know you, we have never met to my knowledge so anything I might believe about you comes from what you have written and the few items and innuendos about disgruntled times with Fedex. Whatever happened to you hasnt happened to me. Maybe it will.
Cant worry about it or spend time dwelling on it as I am running a successful lil LLC with Fedex getting my runs. That works for me, all the way to the bank.
And as for what I dont know and you obviously are privy to, lets wait and see.
This is easy money for me and my wife. We tool around the country, stop when we want,
see what we want, accept the loads we want and still gross over 200k.
I work harder keeping my embroidery biz in Oh going than I do expediting ( and contrary to your opinion, I expedite).
Fedex owns the game as far as I am concerned. Its their ball, field and stands. But I dont have to show up to play if I decide not to. Always another game to join, be it expediting, embroidery or stock market or whatever.
The only thing I will defend usually is what I believe, but I dont care if you believe in my values. I see that as your right.
I will just stick to what I originally stated, the conclusions you draw from them are border line delusional.

MRPIE1

Seasoned Expediter
I love an open discussion. This is great that everybody has the opportunity to share their opinions. I have had the opportunity to read this thread, and since this is the first time I am posting, I'll give you a little background.

I have over 30 years of customer service background. From delivering bread with my father at the age of 12 and later moving into an Area Manager position with that same company (Pepperidge Farm (no small company owned by Campbell's Soup)) and store manager for several large retail and restaurant companies (you would be familiar with), that you don't start out a new position as a bag boy when you are qualified as a Store Manager - This does not mean you get preferential treatment - It Means You Are Qualified!

It seems funny to me (after reading all of these posts) that since freight has slowed down, instead of coming together as a group - you seem to be at each other's throats.

We are WG TVal, Art Team, HazMat/RadMat, and DoD and we've done this to expand our business so that we are open to all opportunities that are available. I don't believe that we get preferential treatment over any other truck that is equally qualified. We have sat in Express Centers for 7 or 8 days at a time just like everybody else. We have an in service rate of 90%. We show up to the shipper with a clean truck, in uniform and ready to work. You may have seen other trucks (not necessarily WG) show up in holy jeans and t-shirts that are so called "professional". It is not my job to call these people out.

With the current tightening of the market we represent FedEx Custom Critical it is our responsibility to band together to make the brand stronger and better. This is what makes us stand out above the rest. Those who are not acting in a "professional manner" are the spaces that will soon be filled by that waiting list. Your time is soon coming. We work on a principal of under promise and over deliver.

We drive a little red Kenworth truck and are damb proud of it.

I hope this sparks some debate on professionalism.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I added a co-driver to my T-Val truck and had to have her attend WG classes so, as I had nothing to do for the day and it had been 8 years since I attended the classes I decide to go and see if anything was new. I was totally surprised at the quality (or lack there of) in the people attending the class.

Anytime I visit the offices in Green I make it a point to be in tip-top shape, uniform on and truck just washed. Some people see this as a** kissing but everywhere I go I am selling the service I offer, a professional business person doing a professional job.

Some people in that class made me want to look where they were going afterwards. I figured they might go back to the local flop house to spend the night.

A couple of them were in dire need of a shower, one guy had on dirty sweat pants with LARGE holes in them. One guy I am not sure he could even read English.

These kinds of people are a detriment to my business because if they go into some of our customers looking like that do you think we are going to get another call? And also one of the red KW's there had a small puppy in the truck that they had to go out and let out at every break we took. And another thing I have been told that we cannot park on the lot over night but there must have been an exception made for the red trucks because they spent 2 nights there that I know about.

These are the reasons I have a problem with this class of drivers. Now to explain I only saw 3 of their trucks at this class and not all the people in this class were going to be driving the red trucks, but I was the ONLY owner in the class. And only one other couple had more than one months experience with FDCC so you see the problem as there are many people who have YEARS experience and are on the list to get into WG and who will probably never get there.

When Linda and I went to our WG classes we laughed at the different types of people and clothing we saw. But it aint my call. If the biz at Fedex deteriorates to the point of my being unsuccessful, byebye.
a lot of smoke is blown by all parties. Some here call it warts. They are in every business
in the world. Just check out the business pages and the unemployment lines to find out the
fires that burned honest hard working people who got snookered by Enron, or the housing market,or the auto industry, or banking, or farming, peanut butter plants, or retail stores.
We can only account for ourselves.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't know if it will spark a debate on professionalism or favoritism. If you have folks with a proven track record already within the carrier, why do you think you are more qualified than they are?
I'm not with the company in question, but I certainly don't follow how you would be more qualified than others on this list for years? I think that is the point others are driving at.
They are saying you are in that position because you are in the "little red truck". Not because you brought anything to the table more than they did. I think that is a disservice to the ones waiting.
Just my penny in the pond.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I love an open discussion. This is great that everybody has the opportunity to share their opinions. I have had the opportunity to read this thread, and since this is the first time I am posting, I'll give you a little background.

I have over 30 years of customer service background. From delivering bread with my father at the age of 12 and later moving into an Area Manager position with that same company (Pepperidge Farm (no small company owned by Campbell's Soup)) and store manager for several large retail and restaurant companies (you would be familiar with), that you don't start out a new position as a bag boy when you are qualified as a Store Manager - This does not mean you get preferential treatment - It Means You Are Qualified!

It seems funny to me (after reading all of these posts) that since freight has slowed down, instead of coming together as a group - you seem to be at each other's throats.

We are WG TVal, Art Team, HazMat/RadMat, and DoD and we've done this to expand our business so that we are open to all opportunities that are available. I don't believe that we get preferential treatment over any other truck that is equally qualified. We have sat in Express Centers for 7 or 8 days at a time just like everybody else. We have an in service rate of 90%. We show up to the shipper with a clean truck, in uniform and ready to work. You may have seen other trucks (not necessarily WG) show up in holy jeans and t-shirts that are so called "professional". It is not my job to call these people out.

With the current tightening of the market we represent FedEx Custom Critical it is our responsibility to band together to make the brand stronger and better. This is what makes us stand out above the rest. Those who are not acting in a "professional manner" are the spaces that will soon be filled by that waiting list. Your time is soon coming. We work on a principal of under promise and over deliver.

We drive a little red Kenworth truck and are damb proud of it.

I hope this sparks some debate on professionalism.

In this open discusion, which kinda centers around those " lil red trucks ", some of the posers are not Fedex. Unity is a cool idea, but if you take a load from me, I'll let the freon out of your reefer.....eheheheh just joking ( he says as he sharpens an awl).
But, I understand the frustration of a "good" team being over looked by WG for years.
But this happens in the space program, store managemant, yaddayaddayadda.
Then to have "newbies" come into the TVAL division. A slap in the face. But, maybe,
if they had tried something different they would have gotten in. We did in six months.
I do believe it would take longer in this economy.
Welcome to EO and keep posting.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know if it will spark a debate on professionalism or favoritism. If you have folks with a proven track record already within the carrier, why do you think you are more qualified than they are?
I'm not with the company in question, but I certainly don't follow how you would be more qualified than others on this list for years? I think that is the point others are driving at.
They are saying you are in that position because you are in the "little red truck". Not because you brought anything to the table more than they did. I think that is a disservice to the ones waiting.

Dave, we dont drive a "lil red truck" but we did leap frog a lot of teams when we got into WG. I'm not sure why, but I pushed hard to get into WG and it worked.

We come from a similar background.
Did the food service companies you work only have one price list for all customers?
Did every one recieve the same terms and deals?
Did your company ever ask for stocking /slotting allowances for new products and not pass on the savings?
And did the longest lived employee always get the promotion in your company?

Food for thought II.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm proud of the Company

I Keep my self in Tip top Condition I run 5 to 10 miles in my off time on layovers. I do one handed push ups and Two handed Push ups and sit ups and Crunches.
I do this to look good in the Uniform.
Steven Gilbert knows I do this.
Hands down I'm no Fat couch potato when I get outta the truck and go into the shipper or consignee. My uniforms are clean and I am well groomed. I'm in tip top condition.

I see alot of drivers out here that look like death warmed over, ready to keel over when they get outa their trucks. Seriously I don't know how they pass their physicals.

I am astonished that I also see drivers Smoking at the Shippers and Consignees and Dipping.

I don't Smoke I don't Dip.

I am polite when I go into the shipper and consignee I make sure things are right and they are happy.

I have seen drivers be rude to the Shippers and the Consignees.

They say good guys finish last.

I don't believe in the no win scenario.
Just remember something failure is not an option with me.

The only thing I want to do is Work.

Ring a ding Ring a ding Hey whats it looking like today.

Best bout be en busy so as to get en me Busy!!

Ha HA I Kill me

By the way no need to call the Alien Task force.

They turned me loose till 2012 to watch all of you.

"HA HA I kill me" Quote from Alf Series.

Your Pal ALF
:)

Last edited:

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The iceman cometh.

there goes this thread.

just slinging a one tongue barb at ya man.

I canth do it width my tongth behins my brack , but then I talk like the Col.

I couldnt run from the pretzel rack to the beer cooler on a 100 degree day.
but, eventually i'd get there and do em proud.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Dave, we dont drive a "lil red truck" but we did leap frog a lot of teams when we got into WG. I'm not sure why, but I pushed hard to get into WG and it worked.

We come from a similar background.
Did the food service companies you work only have one price list for all customers?
Did every one receive the same terms and deals?
Did your company ever ask for stocking /slotting allowances for new products and not pass on the savings?
And did the longest lived employee always get the promotion in your company?

Food for thought II.

Good points. I think the difference in the other industry, is this stuff you described that goes on. In the grocery/retail business they are very up front with where one has to be to get to a certain point. It seems here it is cloaked in some kind of secrecy. No need for goofy game playing. If people can't get in for whatever reason, just tell them. I think that is the distinct difference. If you didn't get a spot in a store, you knew why without any fluff.

MRPIE1

Seasoned Expediter

As a postscript to what I had previously said . . .

I have to admit that once I did jump in front of other trucks. Not because of what FedEx did, nor did I ask for it but it was the customer that asked for me by name, specifically. I earned my spot in WG and TVal. If it had been simply handed to me I would not have wanted it.

What everyone here fails to understand is . . . you are really not in the expediting business - YOU ARE IN THE CUSTOMER SERVICE BUSINESS. 30 years of customer service experience, makes me qualified. And, that's what sets FedEx CC WG apart from the rest - Customer Service.

Anybody can drive a truck from point A to point B, and even show up at both ends on time. But, just look around you, half the people out here driving 18 wheelers can't tie their own shoelaces. Let's be honest.

It is your responsibility as an O/O to conduct yourself in a manner of extreme professionalism. This point is ever more important under the current economic conditions, because it will be those that receive the personal request, by name, that will remain when the dust settles.

Kudos to ES for having the forethought and good business sense to negotiate their contract to include a percentage of WG trucks. They would have been foolish business people to not have done that.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good points. I think the difference in the other industry, is this stuff you described that goes on. In the grocery/retail business they are very up front with where one has to be to get to a certain point. It seems here it is cloaked in some kind of secrecy. No need for goofy game playing. If people can't get in for whatever reason, just tell them. I think that is the distinct difference. If you didn't get a spot in a store, you knew why without any fluff.

Dave, do you really believe that business varies that much from industry to industry.
Smoke and mirrors are in business, some transparency in all. But whether its trucking, food service, or delivering the mail.....well lets scratch that last one, once we sort out the traits that are unique to a specific industry the rest is pretty much the same.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Maybe to a point. I don't have a dog in the hunt other than I wouldn't want this policy where we are now.
I think "smoke and mirrors" is a understatement.
I just don't really see a benefit to it but know it exists as I have been saying for years and others denied it.
All this just validates what I said over the last several years.
Reminds me of the Trump saying, "It isn't anything personal, it is just business".

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The iceman cometh.

there goes this thread.

just slinging a one tongue barb at ya man.

I canth do it width my tongth behins my brack , but then I talk like the Col.

I couldnt run from the pretzel rack to the beer cooler on a 100 degree day.
but, eventually i'd get there and do em proud.

The thread hasn't went any where so I have read, just a bunch of complainers.

Now put down that Beer, and Pretzel bag too.

Put your sweats on lace up your shoes put one foot in front of the other and you'll be walk-en across the floor, Put one foot in front of the other and now your walk-en out the door keep it up and you can do 5 miles too.

Have Fun

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
There are several topics being discussed in this thread, one is that there are qualified people waiting to get into WG and Fleet Owners being allowed to put unskilled people into a White Glove truck.

Because your customer service skills tell you to ask if they want fries with that does not make you a Qualified Driver of freight. How much experience does an area manager have with proper blocking, bracing, refer, lift gate, strapping, blanketing, HazMat routing, where safe havens are located, proper lanes to be in to cross the GW. Did you and your Co-driver practice using ratchet straps, Did you know how to properly load your truck so that you would not be over weight on one of your axels??

Yes, getting your cargo from point "A" to Point "B" is easy, provided you know the ins and outs of a log book, and all the other regulations.

These things just make you Experienced And that is what most customers are expecting when they call for a W/G truck.

As far as the Fleet Owner negotiating a better deal for himself I agree that it's just business. But that does not make the Brand stronger.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Jim,you just hit the nail right on the head.There is more to this than just people skills.And anyone can drive a truck,but if your going to be involved with high value freight,I sure hope when you get delivered,the freight looks as good as it did when it was loaded.
Kevin,do an extra 5 miles for me,im to lazy to do it myself

BEARTRUCKER

Seasoned Expediter
It may be a minor irratant to you but it is hurting the company image! Look, your reputation proceeds you. We know you are professional, cordial and a problem solver. You are company oriented people who get results instead of excuses and have played by the rules. You played by the rules and paid your dues. So why can someone with no qualification other than getting into one of those favored trucks get access to our nuclear plants, top secret defense facilities etc. (see link below)

Valparaiso woman, her brother charged in her husband's slaying / nwi.com

Yes they were in a white glove truck and were advanced over you Bob and Linda. If I was responsible for one of those facilities and you showed up I would feel secure. But if the other team came to my facility, I would be inclined to turn them awy. DOD certified, top secret clearance, CDC, DDPS? I think not. It just the facts, straight and true. Image presented by some of these new WG drivers is not helping in marketing for FEDEX and is contrary to the image FEDEX portrays in their advertisement.

We knew Scott and Helen for 3 years. They where our friends. I don't know why my friend killed my friend, or why my friend's brother killed my friend.
Let Scott rest in God's peace.
Let the legal system handle Helen and her brother.

If you are anyone else has a "problem" with the way FedEx runs their division - take it up with FedEx and/or the fleet owner NOT the fleet drivers. We had no control over entry into WG.

MRPIE1

Seasoned Expediter
Because your customer service skills tell you to ask if they want fries with that does not make you a Qualified Driver of freight. How much experience does an area manager have with proper blocking, bracing, refer, lift gate, strapping, blanketing, HazMat routing, where safe havens are located, proper lanes to be in to cross the GW. Did you and your Co-driver practice using ratchet straps, Did you know how to properly load your truck so that you would not be over weight on one of your axels??

Oh, I'm sorry. Did you miss the part about managing a fleet of 14 independant contractors TRUCKS as an Area Manager. And, no I didn't just sit in an office, I ran routes throughout my area when I needed to. I instructed others on how to do most of that stuff, the rest can be found in a book. My co-driver went through truck driving school.

Let's face it, this isn't brain surgery!