something you should never do....

randy123

Expert Expediter
GET YOUR BUDDY A JOB.....big mistake. i have run from dec to late april..i had some issues with my mortage company so i took a week off...well a buddy had a van and the company needed another van..well i told him and he started running...no big deal (SO I THOUGHT)...i also have an asphalt company and we had some work to do and distpach told me it was slow so i did my asphalt work... then i went back to taking loads....(so i thought) while i was gone my buddy had been taking coffee,smokes,food and all kinds of stuff to the distpatchers...i have been ready to run for two weeks now...(yet to get a load) but my buddy has been running.. i set in the office for 3 days strait and never got a load...today i had called my buddy and he was in ky making a delivery..well he got his buddy in two weeks ago and now it seems thay get all the runs....i have never been late on the deliverys..never been late on a pick up...never ever turned down a load..even when it did not pay to do it....i did not know you had to take booze..food..smokes..and junk to stay in the game...oh well you learn something everyday...the only thing to make of this is(never get your buddy a job) randy

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'd say the only thing to make of this is that you ought to take a much harder look at your 'buddies', BEFORE you do them favors!

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I think maybe you ought to take a long hard look at your company. If you honestly believe dispatch is being influenced by gifts to that extent, you need to be somewhere else.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You should bring this to the attention of the owner(s) of your company. These dispatchers should be fired along with anyone providing gifts.

randy123

Expert Expediter
yea....i am rethinking everything...with the fuel prices and such i might just give it up...but i have to think about it when i am not upset....we will see....randy

OhioStomper

Expert Expediter
I would be out the door too if I wasn't working, but I wouldn't be mad at your buddy. That's how the world works these days. The ones that grease the wheels get the reward. All he did is find a way to make himself more profitable. Nothing wrong with that in a capitalistic society.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If there's nothing wrong with that in a capitalistic society, why is bribery against the law? :eek:

randy123

Expert Expediter
ohiostomper....your right he found a way...he has an old junk van..i spent around 20 grand for mine...and he is into the drug thing and the drinking thing...and the biker thing...so their a match....now reading your responce i will bet that you have done the same thing.....and your right about the wheel and grease thing....now i know what kind of person he is....he is easly bought and sold....and he has no morals....get the meaning.......randy ps...the guys runing the show are no better.....(i will do anything for a little booze and a joint) kinda guys.....

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Randy you answered your own questions,And I think you've been with the wrong company by the things you said in your last post,They must of been ok for you while things were working your way.I think you got just what you deserved seems like to me,They were'nt that bad in the start...The drugs and the rest of stuff most of been going on for a long time...

randy123

Expert Expediter
well i was with them for a while....all this stuff did not start till i got my buddy in with them....or it was going on and i did not know about it...when i started thay only had three vans....now thay have nine....with mine its ten.....i knew thay were bikers but the rest of the stuff i had no idea....what i deserved was to be treated fair...but then again maby a pound of pot and a keg will get me on the road again.....

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ohiostomper, you could'nt be more wrong. A reputable company would'nt let this go on, and as Randy has further described these people it's obvious they are anything but reputable. I worked for a company that had this problem before I started with them and when the bigwigs found out it was stopped and made clear that there would be a no tolerance policy.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Randy, you need to find a decent company to work for - before you get arrested along with the rest of them!
Ohiostomper: I see in your profile that you're a college student - majoring in political science, are you? Or does the moral relativism come in handy in just about any field?

OhioStomper

Expert Expediter
I don't think I am wrong. I am not saying that it is right to buy your way into a job. I am saying it happens, every day, in every profession. It really doesn't sound like it is your buddy's fault to me. If you were busy when they had 3 vans and now they have 10, it shouldn't be surprising that the freight is thinner. I don't have to pay off anyone, I work for my dad and I don't really have to worry about someone taking my freight from me. My point is that whether it is by giving gifts, working cheaper, or by just being good buddies with the ones who write the checks, it is a fact of life. I have never seen a trucking company where this doesn't go on. Dispatcher's boyfriends, their husbands and sons, the best ones are when the dispatcher has trucks leased on too. Who gets the good freight then? But it never stopped us either. As dad says, "we were looking for a job when we found this one". If they aren't holding up their end of the deal, move on. You shouldn't get sore at your friend for finding some success. Maybe the company is upset that you took off for whatever length of time. Perhaps they are punishing you in their own way. Whatever the case, if you aren't making money then you need to move on. Isn't that what is is all about anyway? I know I wouldn't even look at a truck if the paychecks weren't coming.
Oh yeah, not a political science major either. I will soon be a science teacher. My uncle is running for governor though. If you live in Ohio, vote for Strickland!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Can't agree with you on this one. I've heard of this happening with Landstar's brokers. Send em a little gift to remember your name. That's not bribery, I'd call it LOBBYING! Yep... same thing goes on in Washington, and is totally legal. If you want to be successful in business, sometimes it's necessary to grease the palms of those who send that business your way; whether it be dispatchers, brokers, politicians, whatever. Ohio is right... it's capitalism. I wouldn't call it moral, but I wouldn't want to be the one who goes without runs cause I forgot to send a case or carton.

Ponder this... what's a gift to those who take care of you? If it's bribery, I'd say anyone who gives a Christmas bonus to the paperboy is guilty.