Some new info on Ford Transit.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looking good Hazmat, very good! I especially like the wind generator thing shown in pic #2. A great way to power your electronic goodies and charge your batteries all while watching the snirt blow by when laying over in North Dakota in January.

I have a questions for you and Dennis concerning the roll-up door.

-do either of your vans come with optional 270º swing doors?

-how noisy is the roll-up when running down the road?

-Dennis, did you ever insulate your roll-up door? When I had the grand tour of your van, I believe that was something on your to-do list. If you did insulate, how difficult was it and how is is holding up?

Hazmat, thanks for posting the pics and info. I agree with others, an empty weight before modifications would be very useful not only for us curious spectators, but for yourself.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looking good Hazmat, very good! I especially like the wind generator thing shown in pic #2. A great way to power your electronic goodies and charge your batteries all while watching the snirt blow by when laying over in North Dakota in January.

Hazmat, thanks for posting the pics and info. I agree with others, an empty weight before modifications would be very useful not only for us curious spectators, but for yourself.

Hey Moot, Thanks...
I wish I had a mini wind turbine on top, wouldn't that be cool...
Yes, you can get swing doors on the back...
The roll-up door has a latch system similar to your home garage door, very tight and secure...
As far as noise goes, everything echos right now, but when I had the radio on could not hear any noises (but the tunes)...

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Here are some pictures of the Turtle Top TerraMaxx we just purchased yesterday... 165" of usable cargo space... (fyi, that is not me in the truck - stunt double)

THAT is very cool looking, hazmat. I like it a lot. That's a standard Ford CV wheelbase and chassis? I'd love to see this body on the GMC 159 1ton wheelbase.

guido4475

Not a Member
Very Nice !! You will love that roll up back door!!

I would of went with swing doors.More airtight, a lot more quieter.Those rollers, over time, will rattle like crazy.And not to mention, a roll up door, and all of the hardware, is real heavy.Swing doors, especially if made out of aluminum, are more than several hundred pounds lighter than a roll-up door.The weight of one panel on a roll-up door will surprise you.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the info Rocketman. As Dennis noted, the Independence is made of FRP, with the "P" being plywood. His van and the Unicell CW are made from a lighter fiberglass panel. I do like that 13th foot though and could live with a legal cargo weight of 2300 pounds.

For me personally, the ideal van would be a 12', preferably a 13' Unicell CW on a 159" GM chassis. It is a shame no such vehicle exists. I guess that's part of the reason Westmicher is building his own.

I went through the specs on the "independence" models last night. As best I could tell, the 13' body can be put on either of 2 chasis'...either a 159" drw chasis...or a 139" srw chasis.

I agree that if the Unicel CW were 13' it would be top choice for me. I like that extra foot for folding up the bed. The reason..OVM..., would be so that when you have 2 pallets, you could still have a bed. I guess, if you had a bed that could be used down the side OR across the seats, then 12' could work. I'm lazy though..I just wanna fold it up..or not :)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
THAT is very cool looking, hazmat. I like it a lot. That's a standard Ford CV wheelbase and chassis? I'd love to see this body on the GMC 159 1ton wheelbase.

Cargo Max has offered the Chevy 159 srw since 2009, Turtle Top as since 2010....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter

-Dennis, did you ever insulate your roll-up door? When I had the grand tour of your van, I believe that was something on your to-do list. If you did insulate, how difficult was it and how is is holding up?

Moot, 1st no the swingouts do not swing 270 only 180...as for insulating the rear rollup, nope..with the insulated curtain sealed the walls and ceiling and at the floor, its not needed..This past winter there was no heat loss to the back at all....

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Thanks 21cExp, they do offer this model on the chevy chasis and would assume if you're a diehard gmc man they could build you one... PM me if you want my reps name and phone # with Turtle Top??? (Don't have his permission to put all his info in public)

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Cargo Max has offered the Chevy 159 srw since 2009, Turtle Top as since 2010....
I'm just relaying the facts as I read them on the MAC website for those particular units. CargoMax and, as far as I know, Turtletop do not offer a true 159" srw chasis. They offer a reconfigured 159" dually chasis with a 10,000# door sticker. I'm guessing that whoever is building the "independence" van didn't want to reconfigure the dually to get a 159" srw?

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Thanks 21cExp, they do offer this model on the chevy chasis and would assume if you're a diehard gmc man they could build you one... PM me if you want my reps name and phone # with Turtle Top??? (Don't have his permission to put all his info in public)

I appreciate that, but I'm nowhere near ready for that kind of financial outlay just yet. Maybe in, uhmm...twenty years. Ha - no, I hope within a couple years to upgrade to a more roomy setup. with the way things are coming out of late for expediting vehicles, no telling what will be available by then.

Looking forward to seeing how you set it up.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I'm just relaying the facts as I read them on the MAC website for those particular units. CargoMax and, as far as I know, Turtletop do not offer a true 159" srw chasis. They offer a reconfigured 159" dually chasis with a 10,000# door sticker. I'm guessing that whoever is building the "independence" van didn't want to reconfigure the dually to get a 159" srw?

Yeap, the chevy as used by Cargo Max is a re-certified 12.300 drw ...and i don't know it for a fact, but i have heard the Turtle top stretches to get to the 159 inch on the Chevy/Gmc...not saying that is true or not, just what i heard from a lady that had a problem getting her refund on a ordered unit....

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Yeap, the chevy as used by Cargo Max is a re-certified 12.300 drw ...and i don't know it for a fact, but i have heard the Turtle top stretches to get to the 159 inch on the Chevy/Gmc...not saying that is true or not, just what i heard from a lady that had a problem getting her refund on a ordered unit....
I doubt it. They show the same old ugly one ton front wheels on their units as what CargoMax has. I did notice that Hazmat's Ford has regular wheels on the front. I've been told that it was possible to convert the Ford front end to the regular wheel...I'm not sure about the Chevy though. I assume that Turtletop converted the front end on Hazmat's unit the same way westmicher did on his Ford chasis. I would love to do that on my CargoMax. Hazmat now has the advantage of being able to rotate tires to any of the 4 positions as well as have one spare that will fit any position.

BTW...copy/paste from the Maxx Auto website:
Our 13 ft. body has 579 Cubic Ft. of Cargo Volume and is on a 159" WB DRW chassis but, can be built on a 139" WB chassis to be SRW at 9,900 GVWR. This configuration is normally done to provide the same 13 feet of cargo length for placement of three (3) pallets for Expeditors, and still stay under 10,000 GVWR...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe Dennis mentioned some time ago, that there was talk of GM building a 159" SRW chassis in the not so distant future. Has anybody seen any recent info about this?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Rocketman, you can run regular wheels on the ft of the Cargo Max or any 3500HD /4500 Chevy/GMC..the wheel adapter is a bolt on on the ft rotors...It can be removed and regular 8 lug wheels bolt on.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Rocketman, you can run regular wheels on the ft of the Cargo Max or any 3500HD /4500 Chevy/GMC..the wheel adapter is a bolt on on the ft rotors...It can be removed and regular 8 lug wheels bolt on.
Do you know this for a fact? Im told that depends on what front end is under it....and some cant be converted. I'll change mine out if it can be done.

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks LDB...

I have a 5.4 with an auto 5 speed and 4.10 rear end.
Will see how we do on milage and can put a 3.73 in for around $1,500...
Rear door opening of 58" wide x 71" tall...
Side door opening of 44" wide x 72" tall...
Total inside measurments of the cargo area are 168" L x 72" W x 85" H...

Sweet Ride!