Some current temps

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We had our apu runnng over night, set at 65. When we came to the tuck a bit ago it was 65. Even after loading stuff and having the doors open ins maintaining 65.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
That's also with our curtains open I'm sure if they were closed it would be warmer

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Did you ever tell us what was wrong with your APU ?

Nope, forgot. Alternator was dead. We had it changed out, changed the glow plugs, and did a pm on it. Running great now.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
An Espar will keep a decently insulated sleeper in the 70's.

an Espar should keep a decent sleeper in the unbearably hot range!!!....they should be shake and bake.....Even in -40 the Espar was maybe at the 1/2 way setting..

zorry

Veteran Expediter
an Espar should keep a decent sleeper in the unbearably hot range!!!....they should be shake and bake.....Even in -40 the Espar was maybe at the 1/2 way setting..

I would bet you are right. I didn't state it as fact because I have never had reason to set it really high.
Never been in weather that it couldn't handle. :)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

A d4 or b-4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I think Bill is super happy with his.
I think I'll wait until my next truck for one. The gasoline one, that is. That's a lot of RELIABLE and easy heat to make.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seems like you could wire in a digital house thermostat if it's a low voltage system. The furnace only ones are way cheap.

lot of bother for nothing....when it gets cold I don't need a thermometer to tell me when to freeze to death or not....LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I'll wait until my next truck for one. The gasoline one, that is. That's a lot of RELIABLE and easy heat to make.

It seems like a big cash outlay...but man it is worth every penny...no fuss, no muss, just hit the on switch...

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
It seems like a big cash outlay...but man it is worth every penny...no fuss, no muss, just hit the on switch...

I know. This van doesn't burn oil, leak anything & doesn't let me down. But with 414K on it I have to think the "big one" is coming. I should go with the UPS mentality, though, and just keep bolting parts on.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know. This van doesn't burn oil, leak anything & doesn't let me down. But with 414K on it I have to think the "big one" is coming. I should go with the UPS mentality, though, and just keep bolting parts on.

at 100k a year that van still has 3-4 more yrs left in it....you can always move the Espar to the new van...

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
at 100k a year that van still has 3-4 more yrs left in it....you can always move the Espar to the new van...

True. Sally should have gotten that instead of this generator. LOL!!
I need to add a feeder gas tank to it. Other than that, I think I just about can make it thru this winter. Assuming that Heet keeps my gen gas from freezing again.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

My gasoline B4 Espar has been working great. Haven't been in the extreme cold that you guys are dealing with. Coldest I've used it is about zero, and it got so hot that I needed to open my roof vent. I don't think my digital thermostat is very accurate where I have it located. I can turn it down to 60 degrees and it still gets way too hot to sleep.

It's 65 degrees here right now, but it gets down into the upper 30's at night. Maybe I'll try unplugging the digital thermostat and let the Espar default to the internal unit heat sensor.

And I bought the gasoline Espar because I'm staying with gas engines and plan to move it to my next van.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How much fuel does it use over an 8 hr period Bill?

I haven't ever measured it in any precise way. But I'm guessing less then one gallon in 10-12 hours. More important is the ability to heat the cargo area where I sleep without the extra wear on the idling engine. I'm positive it uses less gas in 10 hours then an idling engine uses. I really like the fact that I can park, turn on the heater from the drivers seat, go inside for a break and come out to a fully warmed up cargo area. This is only my first trip with the heater installed. Did it between Xmas and New Years Day. Guido could give you much better fuel consumption information. He's had a gasoline Espar for years now.

According to the supplied specs, it does use more fuel per hour then a diesel Espar, but again, gas is lower priced. And gas won't jell and stop the heater from working if you break down.