Some current temps

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My gasoline B4 Espar has been working great. Haven't been in the extreme cold that you guys are dealing with. Coldest I've used it is about zero, and it got so hot that I needed to open my roof vent. I don't think my digital thermostat is very accurate where I have it located. I can turn it down to 60 degrees and it still gets way too hot to sleep.

It's 65 degrees here right now, but it gets down into the upper 30's at night. Maybe I'll try unplugging the digital thermostat and let the Espar default to the internal unit heat sensor.

And I bought the gasoline Espar because I'm staying with gas engines and plan to move it to my next van.

I have the old thermostat....not digital...it is more of a guideline thingee....depending on wind direction and degrees....what was good one night will be too high or too low the next...you'll get used to it after awhile...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haven't ever measured it in any precise way. But I'm guessing less then one gallon in 10-12 hours. More important is the ability to heat the cargo area where I sleep without the extra wear on the idling engine. I'm positive it uses less gas in 10 hours then an idling engine uses. I really like the fact that I can park, turn on the heater from the drivers seat, go inside for a break and come out to a fully warmed up cargo area. This is only my first trip with the heater installed. Did it between Xmas and New Years Day. Guido could give you much better fuel consumption information. He's had a gasoline Espar for years now.

According to the supplied specs, it does use more fuel per hour then a diesel Espar, but again, gas is lower priced. And gas won't jell and stop the heater from working if you break down.

and why do they sell gas line antifreeze then...eh? hmmmmm

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
and why do they sell gas line antifreeze then...eh? hmmmmm

They don't sell much of it anymore since our gasoline is about 10% ethanol additive now. When was the last time you heard of a car fuel line freezing? The stations don't have cases of gas fuel deicer sitting by the checkout counters anymore like they did 10 years ago.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
They don't sell much of it anymore since our gasoline is about 10% ethanol additive now. When was the last time you heard of a car fuel line freezing? The stations don't have cases of gas fuel deicer sitting by the checkout counters anymore like they did 10 years ago.

so true , so true.....:)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Right now it's -6. Average temp for this time of year is +32. That is 40 degrees below normal. This area has now received 19" more snow than normal for Jan and 24" more for the season.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Sucky night. Generator only ran about 4 hours per gallon (tank) of gas last night under full load. Heat was plenty warm enough with furniture pad curtains on each end of bunk. Heated mattress pad helped. But down to 4 hours sucked.
Sleeps were 2200-0200. Gen out but I was way toasty in 20 degree bag. Then woke 04:15 feeling air mattress sucking the heat out. Filled gen.
Slept 0500-0800.
Now, I'm usually GREAT with that much sleep. Heck, that's about 9 hours.
But broken sleep leaves me feeling like I got about half the hours I was out.
Time to start saving for an Espar!!!!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Sucky night. Generator only ran about 4 hours per gallon (tank) of gas last night under full load. Heat was plenty warm enough with furniture pad curtains on each end of bunk. Heated mattress pad helped. But down to 4 hours sucked.
Sleeps were 2200-0200. Gen out but I was way toasty in 20 degree bag. Then woke 04:15 feeling air mattress sucking the heat out. Filled gen.
Slept 0500-0800.
Now, I'm usually GREAT with that much sleep. Heck, that's about 9 hours.
But broken sleep leaves me feeling like I got about half the hours I was out.
Time to start saving for an Espar!!!!
I think that is why most people finally get the Espar...something about crawling out of a warm bed to fill the generator....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think that is why most people finally get the Espar...something about crawling out of a warm bed to fill the generator....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It was not all that long ago when most people had to do that at home. Well into my lifetime people had coal or wood heat that had to be refueled often. My grandparents among them. People forget how easy things are now compared to the not so distant past.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to complain TOO much. I think we all agree that we want to be as close to 100% rested when called upon. But yes. Time to start putting some shackles away. ;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to complain TOO much. I think we all agree that we want to be as close to 100% rested when called upon. But yes. Time to start putting some shackles away. ;)

Not pointing fingers, just reflecting. You are right, proper rest is very important.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

when we were a team it sure wasn't you crawling out there in the cold.....LOL