Solar powered Auto Air Conditioning

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I wonder if instead of using the standard belt driven air conditioning compressor powered by the vehicles engine while driving down the road. A electrical driven air conditioning compressor powered by the alternator and a solar panel could be used to increase fuel mileage. Any thoughts anyone ?

jimmy

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would think any solar panels large enough to power an AC unit would create significant wind drag and reduce fuel mileage. Maybe if the solar panels were integrated as part of the vehicle, like the roof of the box or a cab fairing.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I would think you are right about the wind drag being a problem. Be kinda neat if solar panels could be integrated into the surface area of said vehicle.

jimmy

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How much would that large of a solar array weight? How would it affect your GVW? How large a battery bank would you need and then there is that weight to contend with as well.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Yeah I am just dreaming, had not considered gross vehicle weight. I think I was more concerned about miles per gallon efficency than storing energy for cutting down on idling time re how much battery pack would weigh Still wonder if the idea could be made to be practical. Thanks.

jimmy

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah I am just dreaming, had not considered gross vehicle weight. I think I was more concerned about miles per gallon efficency than storing energy for cutting down on idling time re how much battery pack would weigh Still wonder if the idea could be made to be practical. Thanks.

jimmy

It is fun to work on problems like this. The answers to today's challenges are likely to come out of these kinds of musings. It will be some guy in his backyard that finds the answer.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is also a "capacity" problem with 12V A/C systems. The one that Espar of Michigan sells is only 4700BTU. FAR too small for a large sleeper. They quote a 4-6 hour drive time to recharge the battery bank.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The capacity problem that I see is generating enough electricity. Those panels in the links above are lightweight and I don't see any aero problems to speak of, but I'm pretty sure that Turtle can blast holes in their ability to keep a system running. I think the only thing you could do to have even a chance would be to have a battery bank that charges during drive time and use the solar panels just for the purpose of prolonging the charge as much as possbile.

I sense a Turtle <snort> coming into this thread :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Generating capacity may be a problem. They did not give a "thickness" on the page that I saw. We also have "height" problems to concern ourselves with. IF they are only one inch thick that is one inch less clearance than we have now.

There is also the capacity problem of the A/C unit itself. From what I can see the 12V systems have far too little output for a large sleeper.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Here is something to look at. Expensive though and would probably have to use the roof on a ST box to get enough to do any good. There is quite a bit of this stuff out there if you want to search for it.

Extended-Villager-8-Solar-Top | Peel and Stick Solar Energy

Stick-It! Solar Featuring the Peel and Stick Solar Panel

Very neat Rocketman. Wonder how much MPG you loose with the vehicle climate control on/engaged driving down the road ? I thought I had seen some where up to mile per gallon with the compressor engaged. If this was true just think how much money an expediter could save in fuel cost over the course of a year.

Thanks
jimmy

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is fun to work on problems like this. The answers to today's challenges are likely to come out of these kinds of musings. It will be some guy in his backyard that finds the answer.

Why does that remind me of balloon boy and his dopey dad? :p

wannatruck

Seasoned Expediter
Didn't Toyota already do this with the Prius? I thought I saw something like that in a commercial.

Solar is supposedly the wave of the future though, definately something to look into. Wish I had the smarts to start experimenting with it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Didn't Toyota already do this with the Prius? I thought I saw something like that in a commercial.

Solar is supposedly the wave of the future though, definately something to look into. Wish I had the smarts to start experimenting with it.

Maybe WAY into the future. Maybe never on a large scale, like to replace real power plants, but who knows.

Yeah, I think Toyota has it but then again that Prius is no bigger than a closed in roller skate. Not too difficult to cool even with all that glass, compared to my 96" sleeper that is.

Not even all that fuel efficient either. My truck is more efficient than that Prius is. IF you figure efficincy correctly. It is NOT the same as MPH. It is fuel usage vs. GVW vs. MPH.

My truck weighs 30,000lbs empty. I average 10MPG. A 1000lb car would have to average 300MPH to equal what my truck can do.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Maybe WAY into the future. Maybe never on a large scale, like to replace real power plants, but who knows.

Yeah, I think Toyota has it but then again that Prius is no bigger than a closed in roller skate. Not too difficult to cool even with all that glass, compared to my 96" sleeper that is.

Not even all that fuel efficient either. My truck is more efficient than that Prius is. IF you figure efficincy correctly. It is NOT the same as MPH. It is fuel usage vs. GVW vs. MPH.

My truck weighs 30,000lbs empty. I average 10MPG. A 1000lb car would have to average 300MPH to equal what my truck can do.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
According to fueleconomy.gov operating the a/c on max can reduce mpg by roughly 5 to 25% compared to not using a/c .

jimmy

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
MythBusters take on this below. It does use fuel, BUT, using the air compared to open windows is MUCH quieter, and FAR less dirt gets into the cab.

Myth: Science/Transportation: AC vs Windows : MythBusters

I would like to have the best of both worlds running the a/c and saving fuel IE solar powered a/c compressor.

Temporarily changing the subject. Layoutshooter did you notice on the mythbuster summary where they made the comment about the computer model being wrong compared to the real world results ? Reason I bring this up is computer generated global warming models accuracy. Need a new thread to beat that horse ??

jimmy