Social Security Checks Could Be Delayed

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Social Security Checks Could Be Delayed Without Debt-Ceiling Deal

Published July 13, 2011

AP
President Obama's stark warning that Social Security payments may not go out next month is a choice the administration has to make, but entitlement benefits could be withheld if the cash flow dries up over an impasse in Washington on raising the debt ceiling.

Obama issued the warning on Tuesday when he said Social Security payments and veterans' checks, among other payments, could be at risk if negotiators don't reach a deal to raise the debt limit above $14.3 trillion by Aug. 2. That's when the Treasury Department says the government will stop being able to borrow money.

Related Stories
McConnell Proposal Sets Stage as Debt Meetings Continue
Boehner Casts Doubt on Obama’s 'Veiled Threats' on Social Security
How Concerned Are You That an Agreement to Raise the Debt Ceiling Might Not Be Reached By August 2?Related Video

Rangel: Let’s Move Past the Debt Ceiling

Rangel on debt-ceiling debate
Related Video

Debt Talks Continue in Washington

FOX Business Brief: Pre-market movers

"I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven't resolved this issue, because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it," Obama said in an interview with CBS News.

The warning rippled through Washington, though some continued to question whether the administration was over-hyping the consequences of creeping too close to the cut-off date for borrowing.

Meanwhile, seniors are left wondering whether they'll get their promised retirement benefits.

Washington is obligated to pay Social Security benefits, but a Congressional Research Service report last month revealed that the Treasury Department can delay them if necessary.

"Social Security benefit payments may be delayed or jeopardized if the Treasury does not have enough cash on hand to pay benefits," reads the report, which notes that the Treasury occasionally needs to issue debt to pay benefits, and a failure to raise the ceiling could make that impossible.

A Government Accountability Office report several decades ago also said it is "generally recognized" that, in the event of a national default, the government would be precluded from honoring some obligations -- including Social Security benefits, employee wages and other payments.

So far, the government is not at that point, and leaders in both parties are not showing the stomach for testing the fallout from failing to raise the debt ceiling. But the sides are conflicted about how much to increase the borrowing limit -- with Republicans insisting the government stop spending an equal amount as it borrows, and Democrats calling for tax hikes to pay for the additional loans.

On Tuesday, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell offered a Plan B, which could allow for an increase by Aug. 2 even if there's no deal to cut spending.

Some lawmakers claim the administration could limp along at least for a short period by prioritizing payments, and in turn avoid default.

"I don't know what to believe," Boehner told Fox News in an interview after the latest White House meeting with congressional leaders Tuesday.

"The Treasury secretary is going to have options in terms of who should be paid and who shouldn't," he said. "Yes, there are some debts that have to be rolled over. But there's going to be money available on August 3, and I think it's way too early to be making some types of veiled threats like that."

Washington has found ways to protect Social Security payments in the past. The Treasury Department in 1996 announced it did not have enough money to pay Social Security benefits for the month of March because it could not issue new debt. However, Congress passed a law allowing the department to temporarily issue securities in an amount equal to those payments, in such a way that would not count against the debt ceiling in the short-term.

The benefits were paid and Congress subsequently raised the debt ceiling from $4.9 trillion to $5.5 trillion. At the same time, Congress also locked off Social Security and Medicare funds from the purposes of "debt management," according to the CRS report -- though the move still doesn't protect the payments if Treasury does not have the money to pay them.

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich told Fox News that Republicans "should call President Obama's bluff."

"House Republicans ought to go in tomorrow or the next day, pass a $100 billion cut in spending and a $100 dollar increase in the debt ceiling so it is exactly balanced. That takes us all the way through to September. They should call that 'the Social Security payment guarantee bill.'

"Then they should say to the president. Here we've taken care of August. All you have to do is get Harry Reid and the Senate Democrats to pass it. You sign it. We can guarantee every senior citizen their Social Security check," Gingrich said.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
How many actually think that those checks which include disability checks and VA benefits will be delayed?
I don't believe it for a minute, can you imagine the public outcry?
Just watch a few days before, everything will be worked out.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Messin with the seniors. SCARE TACTICS. If this happens the march (wheel chair/walker) on Washington will make the million man march pale by comparison.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I agree, but I am sure there are many that will fall for it and get in contact with their Congressmen.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
So by saying that `SS checks won't get paid , is he saying that SS is broke and the`SS "lockbox" really doesn't exist and that they have`spend all of the daily SS deductions that are suppose to suopport SS and that when bush and most economist said SS is broke and will be bk shortly they were telling the truth?? I mean it would appear by barrs words that there is no money available to pay SS checks without having to barrow the money...kinda makes you go, hmmmmm...:rolleyes:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
The fastest and best way to get rid of this administration is to stop the seniors checks. The majority of the voter are seniors, do that and good bye bam bam. :D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He's trying to put the fear of Obama into them.

Obama considers himself the deity usually mentioned in that phrase. As in so many things he is 180 degrees off. He is far closer, practically identical really, to Lucifer.

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
during this years Obamas state of the union address Obama said he would speak out against any attacks (reforms) on social security then on feb 22 of this year the Huff post ran a story where Jason furman the deputy director of Obamas national economic council said that the fact is SS is solvency for another 26 years till 2037
also in the story it talked about a story in the USA Today where a top Obama administration offical Jacob lew says social security does not cause defifits and that the program's"benefits are entirely self-financing"

So in feb there was enough money to run it for another 26 years.My question for Obama is where is that money at?Either its there and he is using it to scare people and trying to make republicans look bad.OR like another poster wrote(sorry for not remembering who) wrote Bush and the republicans were right.Or its both:DEither way I would live to hear from the left on hear and see how they try to explain this:eek:

I know I know im deflecting or is it that my question is some how racist??????

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Question: "Can you guarantee, as president, that those checks will go out on August the 3rd?”

Answer: “I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven`t resolved this issue, because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it.”

Reality: As President, he cannot guarantee whether checks will go out or not regardless of how much money is in the coffers, since he's not the one in charge of sending out the checks. The US Treasury, by law, operates under very strict rules, rules that were set up by Congress (you know, that little group of people who control the purse strings), and it is the Treasury Department that can guarantee, or not, whether checks will go out. If the Treasury Department needs to issue debt to cover the cost of monthly checks, which they do on a regular basis (which despite the conclusions and implications of the CNS article, they did in June, as well = Table III-B $615,490), the president has no control over that in any way.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And yet there is plenty of money to relocate Hamas from Palestine to the U.S. Thank you president Lucifer.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This really is a bunch of crap.

They are worried about paying bond holders and treasury holders among the people who get their monthly government hand out but forget to tell us that the bond and treasury payouts plus the them guberment checks are covered by the revenue that comes in the previous month.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's just a great example of the MSM bias that the AP would promote a story like this. In spite of all the doomsday rhetoric about the debt ceiling the SS checks will go out, the military will get paid, medicare will continue and the sun will still rise even if the debt ceiling isn't raised. Greg is exactly right - there's plenty of cash flow there from taxes and there are plenty of useless agencies that could be shut down before we get to shorting the soldiers and retirees. Besides, there are plenty of rich politicians, cabinet members, and a president that all have several hundred thousand dollars lying around that they don't need which can be donated to the cause (according to BHO) ;)

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
This really is a bunch of crap.

They are worried about paying bond holders and treasury holders among the people who get their monthly government hand out but forget to tell us that the bond and treasury payouts plus the them guberment checks are covered by the revenue that comes in the previous month.

Awa come on now,,,shete is a better word don't u think. PS I love the childish tactics of our government leaders scaring folks over ss checks. Lets see, how about anyone that works in Washington for the government not getting checks. Lets not discriminate on old people or illegal relatives of our president living here to. (If I'm wrong on the relative please correct it).

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
At the last minute the bill passed and the checks are going out
Just like I thought would happen:rolleyes: