So Now......

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just as I suspected...a non-answer within the answer...:rolleyes:
Yeah, and if you read all the replies here and then go back up and read mine again, you'll see that the non-answer answer is pretty dead on. But in case you missed the salient and pertinent responses:

"I locked it. It was locked because I believe he was trolling."

When you own the house, you can do whatever you want, even if it's based on a simple "I believe..."

And do you think I was making a joke when I said, "As long as you are a guest in my house, you'll live under my rules, and you'll like it?"

Nope. To wit:

"So.........with that being said - let's get back onto trucking conversations."

While I do think Sheriff Lawrence was a little quick on the click with locking that thread, I also think at least two of the responses were way out of line considering the fact that it was in Web Site Support & Services and not the Soapbox or some other thread where witless, snappy repartee is the norm. But that's just me.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Lawrence,

As my 9000th post, I wanted to write something more fitting than this but as I look at what has happened, What I have read in the different threads and what I know from outside of this site, means something to many people and goes right to an issue that is important to me about a specific part of what happened, so as a rhetorical question I wonder if it was so cut and dry of a subject that it has to be discussed and we are told it is finished but then why is it popping up as a subject so many times?

When you make a point that the mods are volunteers, and they work hard, it matters and I do agree with you 100%, most of them are some of the best restrained and consistent mods I have seen anywhere, hence my 9000 posts.

But I don't agree with your position "who work very hard at making this community worth peoples time to discuss their business concerns."

See Lawrence, it is you and Dale that set the tone of the site, it is the mods who watch over the site to keep consistency with what you set but it is the people, the members who make it worth while it to be attractive to outsiders and it is the members who are important above the Mods and in many ways sponsors and especially employees of companies.

I know you agree with me when I say this site is not just a forum but a community. The members make up the community and this community has its people who come from different backgrounds and different experiences. Whether we speak of business or hobbies or ethics, that doesn't matter because the members will find their own path for subjects, if it is not important, it won't get any response but if it matters than it will have a lot of response. What matters more is to allow members to speak their mind and not try to guide the subject. In this case, many do not agree with the idea of having someone in the shadows of what is normally an open place to speak and than be told to talk about business or that it is not a big deal.

With any dialog that goes on, there has to be some tolerance with the people and the subjects but also equally a concern when things pop up like this issue so many times.

For what it's worth I am not talking from just casual experience as a forum member but more from knowing how one makes a forum work with and for its members.

There for my fan club 9000 posts - are you happy?

Greg,

1. Thank you for the 9000 posts!!I wished I had that many posts.
2. It has been VERY difficult to judge when to close a thread. It's posts like this that give us some meat to chew on - I plan to create a policy for when a thread can be locked. This way everyone will have an understanding when this action can be used.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Greg,

It's posts like this that give us some meat to chew on - I plan to create a policy for when a thread can be locked. This way everyone will have an understanding when this action can be used.

Hold-on-now.......I'm calling B/S on ya again! Are you just now, after lunch, recognizing the "meat"? :rolleyes: Make up your mind, do you want us to give you more meat to chew on or would you prefer that we " get back onto trucking conversations"??

Just sayin'..........:p

greg334

Veteran Expediter
1. Thank you for the 9000 posts!!I wished I had that many posts.

Your welcome.

2. It has been VERY difficult to judge when to close a thread. It's posts like this that give us some meat to chew on - I plan to create a policy for when a thread can be locked. This way everyone will have an understanding when this action can be used.

First it is hard to make a consistent policy, it has been tried and tried again, believe me. Everyone interprets it differently and every subject or situation can't be covered.

I said and you highlighted - "What matters more is to allow members to speak their mind and not try to guide the subject. In this case, many do not agree with the idea of having someone in the shadows of what is normally an open place to speak and than be told to talk about business or that it is not a big deal."

Let me further explain, this is not about locking the thread, that doesn't matter in many different ways but it matters on how it is handled and by whom. Telling us, the members that we should be talking about business (trucking stuff) or having one of the mods keep driving home the point we are wrong in our thinking is part of the reason why this keeps popping up. The shadow isn't the mods, it is Terry because he hasn't come out and said what he does or how his job effects the business of others. And this is where I think you have it wrong - it is about business and fairness, it is all about knowing who is there with the power and what they can do if they don't agree with you as a contractor but most of all it is about the nature of this business we are in.

I really wish you would reconsider putting in place a solid no exceptions rule about employees. It matters a lot to a great many of us that this reconsidered and addressed openly.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lawrence, IMHO, if you come up with some kind of policy concerning locking threads, you're still gonna have people getting all huffy. I'd just leave things on a case by case basis.