So Now......

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
We're locking threads that have comments about locking threads?? Was there some kind of rule that we don't know about broken there or can we just expect it to be this way going forward.....pretty quick on the trigger finger there.

Just Sayin'.......

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, the thread that was locked was in the wrong forum, just like this one is.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Well, the thread that was locked was in the wrong forum, just like this one is.

I see....and what category do you think these should be posted in AND is that a rule breaker, one that deserves to be locked or deleted, and if so, would you please state the rule that shows that.....for future reference, of course.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, Web Site Support and Services doesn't really cover it, since that's more for technical matters dealing with the site itself. The General Expediter Forum doesn't cover it since this doesn't have anything to do with General Expediter (whoever he is. Maybe Colonel Expediter knows him). The correct and proper forum doesn't actually exist. If it did it would be called the Flaming Moderator Forum.

As for the rule breaker where it determines whether or not a thread or post should be locked or deleted, the rule is twofold, and is a combination of these two rules:

"You have no freedom of speech in the forum. Period."

"The moderators and administrators are the sole arbitrators of the Code of Conduct and will pass judgment on a case-by-case basis."

As long as you are a guest in my house, you'll live under my rules, and you'll like it. :D

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Well, Web Site Support and Services doesn't really cover it, since that's more for technical matters dealing with the site itself. The General Expediter Forum doesn't cover it since this doesn't have anything to do with General Expediter (whoever he is. Maybe Colonel Expediter knows him). The correct and proper forum doesn't actually exist. If it did it would be called the Flaming Moderator Forum.

As for the rule breaker where it determines whether or not a thread or post should be locked or deleted, the rule is twofold, and is a combination of these two rules:

"You have no freedom of speech in the forum. Period."

"The moderators and administrators are the sole arbitrators of the Code of Conduct and will pass judgment on a case-by-case basis."

As long as you are a guest in my house, you'll live under my rules, and you'll like it. :D

Just as I suspected...a non-answer within the answer...:rolleyes:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
DD,

I locked it. It was locked because I believe he was trolling.

There were other issues related to this thread that would not appropriate for me to post.

5. Trolling is prohibited.
Trolling is the word used to describe a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting the members of the forum community. Posts of this nature are disruptive and serve no purpose and subject to immediate removal.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
DD,

I locked it. It was locked because I believe he was trolling.

There were other issues related to this thread that would not appropriate for me to post.

5. Trolling is prohibited.
Trolling is the word used to describe a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting the members of the forum community. Posts of this nature are disruptive and serve no purpose and subject to immediate removal.

Maybe it's a perception thing, you see trolling while some of the membership sees a fellow member asking a legitimate question or making a remark and they're suddenly censored.

The member in question has a join date of May-2007 with 76 posts.....not exactly setting the world on fire in here but not lurking full time either.

Edit: Looking back through his posts, I see nothing to make me believe him a trouble maker or "troll" as some would call it.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe it's a perception thing, you see trolling while some of the membership sees a fellow member asking a legitimate question or making a remark and they're suddenly censored.

The member in question has a join date of May-2007 with 76 posts.....not exactly setting the world on fire in here but not lurking full time either.

But DD where does one draw the line on the remarks?

Do we allow remarks that beget remarks, that beget remarks and so on...you get the drift?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
But DD where does one draw the line on the remarks?

Do we allow remarks that beget remarks, that beget remarks and so on...you get the drift?

For the most part, YES. If there are no rules being broken, YES, why not? The moderators are watching over these posts and if the thread turns into personal attacks or foul language, then by all means, censor the thing or lock it......aside from that, why not let a thread take it's natural course. It'll die out on it's own in good time and no harm done.

The way this is going lately only serves to frustrate people and causes them to fight back with more and more threads/posts on the same subject. In this manner, the moderator/administrator is doing more to FEED the controversy than they are doing to end it.

That beget thing is, for the most part, DIALOG....just an exchange of words, ideas, and opinions......why shouldn't that be allowed to flow naturally to it's obvious end?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
For the most part, YES. If there are no rules being broken, YES, why not? The moderators are watching over these posts and if the thread turns into personal attacks or foul language, then by all means, censor the thing or lock it......aside from that, why not let a thread take it's natural course. It'll die out on it's own in good time and no harm done.

The way this is going lately only serves to frustrate people and causes them to fight back with more and more threads/posts on the same subject. In this manner, the moderator/administrator is doing more to FEED the controversy than they are doing to end it.

That beget thing is, for the most part, DIALOG....just an exchange of words, ideas, and opinions......why shouldn't that be allowed to flow naturally to it's obvious end?

I agree to some extent..the thread will eventually drop to the bottom...maybe.....BUT we have quite a few members that feel they must get the last word in and it keeps coming to the top...the DIALOG is no more..and/or repetitive..

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

DD,

Here is the dealio. We have volunteer moderators - who work very hard at making this community worth peoples time to discuss their business concerns.

There are a few people who like to throw Molotov bombs to upset the flow of content (Hey - we're on the Internet - we know it's going to happen). We are very patient and see that from time to time - it's okay to check and recheck if we are moderating in a positive fair manner. Once the internal check is over, adjustments are made - it's time to move onto the next post.

So.........with that being said - let's get back onto trucking conversations.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
DD,

Here is the dealio. We have volunteer moderators - who work very hard at making this community worth peoples time to discuss their business concerns.

There are a few people who like to throw Molotov bombs to upset the flow of content (Hey - we're on the Internet - we know it's going to happen). We are very patient and see that from time to time - it's okay to check and recheck if we are moderating in a positive fair manner. Once the internal check is over, adjustments are made - it's time to move onto the next post.

Lawrence...Agreed...DD knows..I know...we've both been in the position...no matter what one decides you are going to be wrong..*LOL* Movin on trucking...

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

Ok, that one makes my B/S meter go off. You can't see that the quoted comment reeks of "move along, nothing to see here", as well as insinuating that trucking conversations are the SOLITARY thing we should concentrate on?

Somewhere along the line, the forum was expanded to include MANY categories....now you want to tell me and other members to "get back onto trucking conversations"? I take that as your sad attempt at trying to tell me, in a polite way, to sit down and shut up.....and by doing that, you've made my point for me.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the very least this belongs in the SoapBox, whatever the concerns are and whether or not they are valid, right or wrong etc, has NOTHING to do with expediting.

Filling up the "business" parts of the forum with these kind of political, moral, ethical, whatever issues just drives people away. If people want to see this kind of stuff there is a place for it.

I for one, wish the mods would move more of this stuff sooner before it over populates the general forum.

I don't think it is a "sit down shut up message", I think it is a go sell it at the right place message. You will sell more shotguns at an NRA rally than you will at a Tupperware party kind of logic.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the very least this belongs in the SoapBox, whatever the concerns are and whether or not they are valid, right or wrong etc, has NOTHING to do with expediting.

Filling up the "business" parts of the forum with these kind of political, moral, ethical, whatever issues just drives people away. If people want to see this kind of stuff there is a place for it.

I for one, wish the mods would move more of this stuff sooner before it over populates the general forum.

I don't think it is a "sit down shut up message", I think it is a go sell it at the right place message. You will sell more shotguns at an NRA rally than you will at a Tupperware party kind of logic.

Here, here...I vote Piper for Mod Squad!:D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
This is not a Democracy, this is an owned website. When you joined you agreed to abide by the rules. Unfortunately freedom of speech really doesn't apply here. While we might not like some of the decisions by the management or moderators, we have to accept them or leave the community. That's just the way it is.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Whoever made the point about moving this thread to a relevant forum thank you.

DD - no, I'm wasn't telling you to "sit down and be quiet".

Our motivation is to really keep the spotlight on what we are all about...TRUCKING LIFE!!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Lawrence,

As my 9000th post, I wanted to write something more fitting than this but as I look at what has happened, What I have read in the different threads and what I know from outside of this site, means something to many people and goes right to an issue that is important to me about a specific part of what happened, so as a rhetorical question I wonder if it was so cut and dry of a subject that it has to be discussed and we are told it is finished but then why is it popping up as a subject so many times?

When you make a point that the mods are volunteers, and they work hard, it matters and I do agree with you 100%, most of them are some of the best restrained and consistent mods I have seen anywhere, hence my 9000 posts.

But I don't agree with your position "who work very hard at making this community worth peoples time to discuss their business concerns."

See Lawrence, it is you and Dale that set the tone of the site, it is the mods who watch over the site to keep consistency with what you set but it is the people, the members who make it worth while it to be attractive to outsiders and it is the members who are important above the Mods and in many ways sponsors and especially employees of companies.

I know you agree with me when I say this site is not just a forum but a community. The members make up the community and this community has its people who come from different backgrounds and different experiences. Whether we speak of business or hobbies or ethics, that doesn't matter because the members will find their own path for subjects, if it is not important, it won't get any response but if it matters than it will have a lot of response. What matters more is to allow members to speak their mind and not try to guide the subject. In this case, many do not agree with the idea of having someone in the shadows of what is normally an open place to speak and than be told to talk about business or that it is not a big deal.

With any dialog that goes on, there has to be some tolerance with the people and the subjects but also equally a concern when things pop up like this issue so many times.

For what it's worth I am not talking from just casual experience as a forum member but more from knowing how one makes a forum work with and for its members.

There for my fan club 9000 posts - are you happy?