So I am truck shopping

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
I am looking at a freightliner RHL185. I have a 28 foot goose neck flatbed trailer that I pull with a 1 ton pickup. I get most of my loads from uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Vehicles or Moves and I was checking out this rhl185, because my truck is about to retire soon. It looks nice and comes with an enclosed garage. Would any expediting companies give me the time of day if I had a truck like a Freightliner rhl185? Like haul everything else that doesnt require a semi to move it.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
do you have a picture to share so we could see what unit looks like and we be able give you a better ideal

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
It has pretty close to the same power to weight ratio as an f650 and can be dot certified. The one I was looking at is a bank repo and I already checked into it with someone I know who works for the msp motor carrior devision and it can be dot certified because this particular one I am looking at has the back seat that can fold into a bed.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just get an M2 112, it is the same thing without the junk on it. Easier to find, better priced.

The sport chassis wasn't made for work, it was a sporty version of the M2 like an oversized pickup truck.

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
The auction house wants 70K for it, and yes I want to use a flat (primarly used for auto transport) but was pondering getting an enclosed so I could transport general freight where a big rig semi cant really fit into.

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
The enclosed one would be used for picking up loads that would go in a sprinter. The advantage is multiple sprinter loads and greater fuel economy vs getting a straight truck.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The enclosed one would be used for picking up loads that would go in a sprinter. The advantage is multiple sprinter loads and greater fuel economy vs getting a straight truck.

Don't take this wrong but I don't see the "greater fuel economy" out of a sports chassis compared to a properly spec'ed straight truck. If you want to go down that path, go for it but if you want to actually turn a profit while having something built for work, then I would think you can do a lot more with $70k than buy an over rated pickup truck.

Nothing wrong with getting a small used M2 and using that, the money you save with a purchase (you can find them under $25k) will offset any fuel savings you will have with say an Izuzu or Ford F/E450.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't take this wrong but I don't see the "greater fuel economy" out of a sports chassis compared to a properly spec'ed straight truck.

I don't either. Especially when the spec sheet lists a 4.56 axle ratio.

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
Im not offended

My dodge pick up gets 7mpg when its fully loaded with cars. I am guestimating 9 to 10 mpg with the one I have been looking at

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
It has pretty close to the same power to weight ratio as an f650 and can be dot certified. The one I was looking at is a bank repo and I already checked into it with someone I know who works for the msp motor carrior devision and it can be dot certified because this particular one I am looking at has the back seat that can fold into a bed.
FMCSA does not "certify" sleeper berths if that is what you are talking about . They do have specifications that have to be met . This truck likely can be made to meet the specs but it takes more than a back seat that can fold into a bed .
Part 393.76: Sleeper berths. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
A much wiser and far less expensive choice would be to buy a got used expediter straight truck and maybe get the frame shortened . Several hotshotters have done this .

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine has a 4.78 and I get as high as 12 mpg.

I have always equated a low rear end gear ratio with poorer fuel economy, especially in over the road applications. An old rule of thumb was a 4.10 or lower required an overdrive or double overdrive transmission to improve fuel efficiency.

The Freightliner in question has an Allison 3200 TRV. I checked the specs on this transmission. It is a six speed with a direct ratio of 1.00 for 4th, 5th at 0.75 and 6th is 0.65. So this a double overdrive automatic. Your setup must be similar. I should refrain from commenting on trucks with automatic transmissions as I have no experience driving one. Better yet I should not comment on trucks at all.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine's an auto shift, not automatic. I'm sure the gearing in my 6-speed trans helps with the mileage. I'm not sure what the numbers are on the gearing.